Got My First REV

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
kitemke

Got My First REV

Postby kitemke » Thu, Jun 17 2010, 10:49 PM

Hi, this week I got my first REV it's a 1.5 SLE Blue/Red/White.

I went today to Milwaukee lakefront to try it for the first time and it was a complete mess, lines tangled, no wind, very frustrated.

I will keep trying,

Jorge

Jynx

Re: Got My First REV

Postby Jynx » Thu, Jun 17 2010, 11:45 PM

kitemke wrote:Hi, this week I got my first REV it's a 1.5 SLE Blue/Red/White.

I went today to Milwaukee lakefront to try it for the first time and it was a complete mess, lines tangled, no wind, very frustrated.

I will keep trying,

Jorge
:welcome1:
Just a few pointers... and the frustration will turn into REVelation! :up:
Sent ya an email... give a call whenever!
Jynx
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Fri, Jun 18 2010, 10:58 AM

Jorge,

Fly with Jynx whenever you get a chance. :up: She gives Rev lessons at Scott Fishers festivals at Veteran's Park. She is a very good flyer and will have you flying in no time.

BTW, new kite purchases always bring on dead calm winds. Unless you buy a Zen (no/light wind kite) and then it brings 20+ mph. It's the kite buyer's curse.

If you like fireworks and kites, plan on being at Veteran's Park on July 3rd. Scott has an awesome festival that day.

Quick pointers:
Upright spars go on the back of the kite. (Behind the Revolution logo; the side without the bridle)
Make sure all lines are the exact same length. (see line equalizing tutorial)
If you don't have knots in your top leaders on your handles, have someone help you. Check out the B-series handles. http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/album_sho ... ic_id=1371
Get a stake (tent stake, screwdriver, SLE spar :-D ) for putting tension on your lines when you wind/unwind.
If you have an SLE leading edge, get a set of 3-wrap spars. The SLE is almost indestructible, but it weighs a ton. I've never had anyone come close to breaking a 3-wrap when they've tried my kite. With Jynx teaching you, "no worries"

Check out these tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JjXraxU ... re=related Tying a larkshead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIbbM3ud ... re=related Line Equalizing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WozjkQdt ... re=related Assembly and Disassembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuw3vBD50hs Line Management
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Towzu63 ... re=related Joe Hadzicki lesson

See you at a festival
John
:LogoRevAni:

kitemke

Postby kitemke » Fri, Jun 18 2010, 02:13 PM

Hi !!!

Jynx, thank you for your support, I got your email. I am looking forward to the lessons.

John, thank you for the information, I will take a look.

Doing this on your own looks pretty hard, simple things like unpacking the kite for the first time, I didn't know if the bridle was tangled or it was suppose to be like that.

Unwraping the lines was not clear what line was with what side, or if the pairs were mixed.

Will keep you posted with my progress !!!

Jorge

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Fri, Jun 18 2010, 09:22 PM

Jorge ~

Rest assured... you'll be FINE... given a little time and patience!

You guys did so well at the Family fest!!!!! :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Jun 20 2010, 01:45 AM

<<Hi, this week I got my first REV it's a 1.5 SLE Blue/Red/White.

I went today to Milwaukee lakefront to try it for the first time and it was a complete mess, lines tangled, no wind, very frustrated. >>

How sad! :roll: God is punishing you, no doubt! You should have gotten a nice dualie line kite instead.

There's a fine line between ecstasy and agony; and when you purchased that quad kite, you definitely left the realm of ecstasy! But go ahead and remain there if you beastly wish... on all fours!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Sun, Jun 20 2010, 05:59 AM

Hey Jorge

I have one tip on keeping your lines from getting tangled. Use two winders. Use one to wind the left side and one for the right side. It takes a little longer to do this but your lines will never be tangeled and twisted. Scott has winders for sale or I'll give you one of my extra winders next time I run into you.

Good luck
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Sun, Jun 20 2010, 06:01 AM, edited 2 times in total.

kitemke

Postby kitemke » Sun, Jun 20 2010, 09:56 PM

Hi !!

Jynx, thank your for your help today !!!

Jynx helped us untagle lines and showed step by step how to do it properly, we tried multiple times to be sure we are doing it right !!!

There was no way we can figure this on our own.

We also met Bret (Kite Whisperer) and showed us some tips and tricks.

We made huge progress today!!!

Thank you

:thanks:

Jorge

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Jun 20 2010, 10:19 PM

kitemke wrote:Hi !!

Jynx helped us untagle lines and showed step by step how to do it properly, we tried multiple times to be sure we are doing it right !!!

Thank you

Jorge

You have just learned, not only how to deal with your lines, but what the "Rev family" is all about.

Welcome.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sun, Jun 20 2010, 10:29 PM

kitemke wrote:Hi !!

Thank you

Jorge

You both did a WINDerful job! (Wish we would have had some... Wind that is!)

I sure enjoyed the day... Thanks for the smiles!

We'll get together again :revspin: and have some "Real" fun! ...and some more smiles!

Ludovicus

Postby Ludovicus » Mon, Jun 21 2010, 01:02 PM

I've only had a Rev for a few months, so take my advice for what it's worth.

1) My bike trailer has a two part flag, each section about three feet long with the top section having the little orange flag on it. That's what I use to stake my kite. I tried a few other things and if the grass is at all long, I had a very hard time locating them. The bike flag is always easy to find either standing up or laying down, and it also lets folks know where the handles are so they don't step on them or get tripped.

2) I use just one winder, but started winding the left and right sets of lines one after the other, rather than both at the same time. I did the latter a few times, but started having to spend lots of time untangling them. Probably just my newbie-ness, but it eliminated the problem.

I also suffer from W.C. (the Wind Curse), but it seems to be getting better. Once you get flying and comfortable, all your troubles will be worth it. Bliss will soon follow.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jun 25 2010, 09:43 AM

Cool! Another Rev flyer!
Sorry for my late reply, I'm moving and have been without Internet.
There should be several Rev fliers for the fireworks in Milwaukee, so try to make it if you can.

I'm glad you were able to get line winding sorted out. There's really no need for two winders. Heck, you can even do without a winder and wrap the lines around your handles. I've done that for years. But make sure you read about it before doing it. There's a post with photos somewhere...

Return to “Quad Line Kites”