Internet Explorer V8

Talk about anything you want
Jim Foster

Re: Internet Explorer V8

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Mar 25 2010, 12:08 PM

Lynn and I depended on WIFI at RV parks and other places for years. A year and a half ago we bit the bullet and got an Air Card. It works very well anywhere we have cell service. It will work when stopped or going down the highway. Then, we got a Netgear WIFI router which uses the Air Card as input and runs on 12 or 110v. Both of our laptops and our printer are on our own secure WIFI network. When we are at home, the old laptops are also on that same network. Very handy.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Mar 25 2010, 12:32 PM

Jim Foster wrote:Lynn and I depended on WIFI at RV parks and other places for years. A year and a half ago we bit the bullet and got an Air Card. It works very well anywhere we have cell service. It will work when stopped or going down the highway. Then, we got a Netgear WIFI router which uses the Air Card as input and runs on 12 or 110v. Both of our laptops and our printer are on our own secure WIFI network. When we are at home, the old laptops are also on that same network. Very handy.

Yep, I'm green with envy.

Still resisting the step up to an Air Card though. My friend and his wife have had an Air Card for many years. When they travel, she sits in the back of the vehicle and surfs on the computer while he drives. It's bad enough with Jo Ann's Blackberry ... she'll see something interesting on the trip and then disappear into her Blackberry for research.

Although, if I traveled via Air Stream, I'd follow your lead exactly.

Cheers,
Tom

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Mar 26 2010, 05:55 AM

I rely on 2 programs to keep me relatively free from crapware..

Malwarebytes & AVG Free

Both have worked well for me.

as for registry errors, I suggest that 99% of these are from programs that are just written badly and who's uninstall programs don't uninstall everything. I've had brand new OS installs where all I did was install my general programs, before ever connecting to the internet and when running a Registry Mechanic or similar program, found all kinds of errors..

Wifi speeds? EVERYONE has a wireless device these days and we are always behind in providing bandwidth. Of course we are going to see hotel speeds decrease as these systems are generally put in and left alone... especially in the bandwidth department, while everyone is using them more and more. It's not at all unusual for everyone in the family having something... a phone, laptop, etc.... Expect to see a tiered price structure in the future. Crappy speeds for 'free' and premium speeds for exorbitant prices...

This IS America after all... why give something for free when you can charge out the butt for it.. and get it..

A FYI... we haven't touched the board's structure or operation for over a year and if we do, we will let people know. If something is not working, it's something on your computer, ISP or the company that hosts the board... All things that the sysops at IKE have absolutely no control over. Sorry!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Fri, Mar 26 2010, 12:25 PM

I also use AVG and Malwarebytes - both are what I would consider totally essential for safe browsing. Another program that I have found to help clean and fix computers is Advanced System Care from Iobit. They have a free version that will not only clean out most of the spyware and garbage programs but will also greatly improve overall computer performance.

Here's a link for anyone wanting to give it a try:
Advanced System Care Free

Hope that helps.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Mar 26 2010, 05:39 PM

At this point all I use is Microsoft Security Essentials. Free, seemingly lightweight, and very good reviews.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Mar 28 2010, 11:47 AM

awindofchange wrote:I also use AVG and Malwarebytes - both are what I would consider totally essential for safe browsing. Another program that I have found to help clean and fix computers is Advanced System Care from Iobit. They have a free version that will not only clean out most of the spyware and garbage programs but will also greatly improve overall computer performance.

Here's a link for anyone wanting to give it a try:
Advanced System Care Free

Hope that helps.

Kent,

Yep, that helps. I love Advanced SystemCare ... neat packaging of many computer cleanup programs in one place. I utilized several of the clean up programs after experimenting with AdAware. I've used AdAware in the past, but the installation was too much for this computer ... had to back out and then use some of the Advanced SystemCare utilities to erase the pieces of AdAware. Babbs is right, it's amazing how much junk is left behind when a program is uninstalled.

I found the "Smart Ram" program under the "Utilities" tab to be very interesting. It places an "available RAM" icon at the bottom of the computer screen in the icon section (seems to disappear when you reboot.) It gives a read out of the available RAM ... kind of like an instantaneous gas mileage read out. Right now I have Thunderbird open, Firefox open with five tabs and am composing this post ... the meter reads 150MB of available RAM out of an installed 512MB. Looks like an upgrade in memory is in order. No wonder this computer is slow.

MalWarebytes is on my list to play with when I get home. I'm kind of in the "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" mode right now. It's amazing how much we've all come to depend on our computers for so many things.

I've switched from AVAST to Microsoft Essentials to try it out on the return trip.

Thanks gentleman, you've been most helpful.

Cheers,
Tom

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Mar 28 2010, 03:16 PM

Malwarebytes, Sysinternals and AVG are my standards. I've also had great luck with Registry Mechanic, even on Windows 7. The other essential is crapcleaner (ccleaner now) which takes care of all the extra junk that comes down as part of web browsing.

On memory, at this point in time, the more memory, the better in any machine you have, up to 4GB worth. Anything more isn't recognized by any 32bit OS (you will only see about 3.5GB usable). As long as it's not DDR3 Triple channel memory, it's dirt cheap and the easiest way to upgrade an older computers performance. Crucial memory has an excellent tool for determining your max ram and what type you need. www.crucial.com. Once you know what you have to have, you can shop around. I use tigerdirect for almost everything as they are local and have everything I would ever want.

I'm currently running an i7 930 2.8GH cpu, asus P6X58D motherboard and 12GB of DDR3 triple channel ram on Win7 x64. It was a little pricey but this machine cooks. I also decided to try liquid CPU cooling for a change and am very happy with the small amount of room the pump takes up and the temps it keeps my CPU at. It cost about $75 bucks... A bargain IMHO.

Another tidbit, check into Microsoft technet if you find yourself spending (or about to spend) a lot of money on their software. :up:

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Mar 30 2010, 08:57 PM

Babbman wrote:... As long as it's not DDR3 Triple channel memory, it's dirt cheap and the easiest way to upgrade an older computers performance. ...

Chris,

Well, it's a cheap upgrade, but with older memory (PC2700 DDR) it's not dirt cheap. I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a 1G stick of Kingston memory from Fry's Electronics. Could have saved a few bucks via mail order, but had it in hand with a 15 day return if it didn't work. Also, could have saved money with some non-name brand stuff, but I hate it when computer equipment has operational idiosyncrasies. Pulled a 256KB stick out and dropped in the 1G stick and the computer simply smiled!

Funny thing is that with 512 installed, the OS used about 250KB for background stuff. When I have 1,256KB installed, it uses almost 500KB for background stuff. Hmmm.

So, if I bump up this computer to 2G, will it grab more RAM for background? And, operate proportionately faster?

Cheers,
Tom

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 30 2010, 10:31 PM

Jeepster wrote:
Babbman wrote:... As long as it's not DDR3 Triple channel memory, it's dirt cheap and the easiest way to upgrade an older computers performance. ...

Chris,

Well, it's a cheap upgrade, but with older memory (PC2700 DDR) it's not dirt cheap. I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a 1G stick of Kingston memory from Fry's Electronics. Could have saved a few bucks via mail order, but had it in hand with a 15 day return if it didn't work. Also, could have saved money with some non-name brand stuff, but I hate it when computer equipment has operational idiosyncrasies. Pulled a 256KB stick out and dropped in the 1G stick and the computer simply smiled!

Funny thing is that with 512 installed, the OS used about 250KB for background stuff. When I have 1,256KB installed, it uses almost 500KB for background stuff. Hmmm.

So, if I bump up this computer to 2G, will it grab more RAM for background? And, operate proportionately faster?

Cheers,
Tom

In the late 80's, in order to 'upgrade' to 16MB Ram to run Windows 3.1, we were spending about $240. And that was for a single 4M stick. So for a little under $1000, we were brought up to the latest and greatest..lol... I see Crucial sells a 1GB stick for about $40 through Tiger Direct so when I say dirt cheap, I'm being relative..lol... and really, for the performance kick, it's a dirt cheap alternative to buying a new computer..

On the usage. That's typical. Windows has always 'managed' (and I say that very loosely) it's memory and allocates it based on available RAM. The more it has, the more it will offload into RAM rather than trying to page it to the hard drive. Ultimately, it leads to increased performance as there is less disk thrashing and as we all know, trying to fly in a very tight area is more demanding than when we have a big open field to play in. As windows or your apps need more memory, it will automatically allocate and deallocate as it deems necessary. When it runs short, it turns your hard drive into a pit 'o really slow memory.

Most unfortunately, there are issues with freeing up memory, as we all know from having to reboot after running stuff for a while. MS doesn't even follow all of it's rules so there are memory leaks here and there and/or blocks of memory that are never released. App developers are even worse. Try some simple tests by looking at your memory stats and opening a program. Use it for a while and close it down. More than likely, you will never see yourself go back to where you started. Just something that those who use the crap out of computers are just used to and don't even give a second thought any more. In fact, I reinstall my OS from scratch on a yearly basis just to bring everything back under my control as no matter HOW careful I am with installing stuff, something will get in there and cause issues. I went through the entire Win7 Beta Cycle and was reinstalling the OS on a weekly and sometimes daily basis. I got it down to a science by rotating hard drives and building some tools to automatically install all of my apps with one click. 25 mins from start to finish.

As an example with my system and memory, I'm running Windows 7 x64 with 12GB Ram. I have a few things running in the background (VMWare, antivirus, etc) and my current memory stats are:

[albumimg]1379[/albumimg]

yeah, that's 8 freaking cores...lol... This machine just cooks....

There are also a couple of other things to consider... I can't remember if Win98 has these but 2000 on up has the ability to give preference to allocating performance between programs and background services. Also, as you increase RAM, you can adjust the page file to balance out performance.

There are also some really excellent tweaking programs out there that will expose a few other performance enhancements otherwise hidden or buried.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Apr 01 2010, 11:12 AM

Drove by Fry's again yesterday. Just had to stop and get a second 1G stick ... darn thing went up $2 since Monday. Dropped it in the computer and it did speed up the simple things a little more. Now it feels like a Model-T with a Hemi engine.

Good exercise for non-believers ... all new computers will be purchased with plenty of memory.

Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Not Kites”