Thinking About A Quad

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Maddman

Thinking About A Quad

Postby Maddman » Sun, Feb 14 2010, 02:45 PM

Thinking about a quad line. Question is SLE or EXP? Which one is a good all purpose quad for someone who has never tried one before? :revspin:

Thanks

Steve
Regards,

Maddman :revspin:

Jeepster

Re: Thinking About A Quad

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Feb 14 2010, 03:51 PM

Maddman wrote:Thinking about a quad line. Question is SLE or EXP? Which one is a good all purpose quad for someone who has never tried one before? :revspin:

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Asking that question is about like asking a group of guys about their favorite car. Out of ten quad fliers, you're likely to get eleven answers. The honest answer is that both kites will do the trick of getting you into Rev flying and work quite well.

Since you have a couple of dual line kites, and thus seem to like kite flying, I'm guessing that you'll stay in the hobby/sport. Based on that, I'd buy the SLE with a 1/4 inch leading edge (1/4 inch ID on the tubes.) The SLE leading edge is a 7/16 inch inside diameter frame and is too stiff!! Many kite shops will swap out the leading edge for no additional cost ... if they don't, go some place else! The 1/4 inch frame set is interchangeable with all other 1.5 Revs and will last a long time.

The disadvantage to the EXP is that it is nylon and will absorb moisture (gets heavy on rainy or very humid days or on the beach) which makes it harder to fly. The nylon will also stretch over time, where the poly on the SLE will stay tighter longer. If you met the 190GO! team, then you saw them flying SLE kites ... need I say more??

If money is not a problem, then I'd suggest a B-series kite. Since it comes with two different frame sets (2-wrap and 3-wrap) the wind range is extended. Later you'll want to add a vented B-series. With those two kites, you'll be able to handle 90% of the winds we have in this area.

By the way, welcome to IKE and the forum ... hope to see you at one of our club flies this summer.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Feb 14 2010, 04:03 PM

Jeepster wrote: If you met the 190GO! team...

Yeah, sometimes I over-rotate. I'm working on it.

:P
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 14 2010, 04:25 PM

Jeepster's advice seems good to me.
You've done business with Dave Zavell before and I'm pretty sure that Chicago Kite will sell the SLE with a 1/4" LE.
Once you get one, try to get some flying time with one of us quad heads. It'll speed up the learning process.
Feel free to pepper us with more questions if you'd like, and welcome to the dark side! :revspin:

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Feb 14 2010, 06:02 PM

Jeff wrote:
Jeepster wrote: If you met the 190GO! team...

Yeah, sometimes I over-rotate. I'm working on it.

:P

Well, you guys have come a ways since you started. But, if you insist, I'll go back to calling you 180GO! ...

Thinking about KP8 and not paying attention to other things.

Cheers,
Tom

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Mon, Feb 15 2010, 01:17 PM

If you are serious about purchasing a Rev 1.5 SLE, then I would suggest you get it done pretty quick as there is going to be some changes in the next week or two concerning the 1.5 SLE model.

The biggest change is that on March, the price is going up so if you want to buy one you may want to do it before the price increase goes into effect. This way you will save about 50-60 bucks on your purchase.

The other change is that the 1.5 SLE sail is going to be changed for 2010. Instead of being a ripstop polyester/Icarex sail, it will be an all nylon sail just like the EXP. Only the B-Series will have a poly/Icarex sail. If you want to have a 1.5 SLE with a poly sail, you will want to get one of the '09 models and get it quick. Since Rev has announced the change, our '09 1.5's have been moving out fast!!! Rev is already out of stock on most color patterns and are not making the '09 models any longer. You can of course get all colors in the new 2010 model.

If you are planning on getting a B-Series then no worries. Plus the new 2010 B-Series colors are very sharp!!! We just got our second shipment of the new colored 2010 B's and everyone loves them.

Welcome to the dark side! The Rev's open up a whole new dimension of kite flying.
Last edited by awindofchange on Mon, Feb 15 2010, 01:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Feb 15 2010, 01:35 PM

Thanks Kent,

Opps, I read your posting on the new line up for 2010, but the SLE going to nylon didn't stick in my mind.

That brings up a thought ... with the SLE going to nylon, how would you answer Maddman's original question?

Cheers,
Tom

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Mon, Feb 15 2010, 05:09 PM

if you want to be frugal get the SLE now, before the changes... I wish I could ask for leads on a full vent SLE red/gold on black... I would get 4 wraps and race rods... then my rev world would be complete... (for a month or two)

If money is no option get the B series (2 and 3 wrap or just race rods) then a matching full vent (with 3 and 4 wrap) and add a Zen.... followed by an indoor. (thats my plan when I win the lotto)

check in with Chicago Kite... Dave has been very very good to me...

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Feb 15 2010, 06:46 PM

I didn't know the nylon SLE was a sure thing. Gonna make the difference between an EXP and a SLE be ummmm, nothing.
Except I think the new SLEs are going to come with both an SLE rod and a 1/4" rod?

You should confirm with a dealer, I haven't talked to anyone at Rev in a couple months.

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Mon, Feb 15 2010, 07:23 PM

The new 2010 1.5 SLE will be shipped with both the SLE rod and a 3 piece standard 1/4" leading edge. Both will be Ultra Light/3 wrap configuration.

With both models now being an all nylon sail, other than the extra leading edge in the 1.5, the only other difference would be the number of panels in the sail. The EXP will continue to have the 3 long somewhat horizontal panels in each wing tip while the 1.5 will have 5 triangular-ish panels in each wing tip. The greater number of panels in the 1.5 will help minimize the stretch over time and help keep the shape of the kite in the stronger winds - but the difference between the two models will be very minimal. The biggest difference would be the extra 1/4" leading edge.

As for the original question, I would suggest the 1.5 over the EXP as it is now available with both leading edges in one package. The SLE for beginners strength and durability - and more snappy/exciting flying and the 1/4" leading edge for slower / more controlled precision flying. If you are on a tight budget, the EXP is a great kite. If you can spend a little more, the 1.5 is a bargain. If you can spend a lot then the B-Series is the best. With the price increase on the new 2010 kites, the EXP may become more popular. Time will tell.

I do know that the MSRP for the 2010 Revolution EXP, complete package with lines is $199.00
The 2010 MSRP for the 1.5 SLE complete package (including line set) is $299.00.
The 2010 MSRP for the B-Series package (without lines) is $322.00. *Lines have always been sold separately on the B-Series model.
The 2010 MSRP for the B-Pro (kite only) is $345.00 *B-Pro is not normally offered as a complete package. Custom colors add $40.00.
These prices are scheduled to go into effect on March 1st - the date for the official release of the 2010 kites.

All included line sets from Revolution on the above kites are 100% Laser Pro Gold Quad set, 90 pound X 85 feet. If your kite has any other lines/sizes/weight in it then it has been added/changed by your kite retailer.

We do have a couple of the new 2010 Revolutions in stock in limited colors. We should have full stock on all the new 2010 models in the next 2-3 weeks.
Not sure if I am allowed to post the new 2010 prices yet but don't think there is any problem with it.....guess I will find out. :)

Hope that helps.
Happy Winds!

Kent

www.awindofchange.com

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Feb 16 2010, 09:05 AM

We have A few 2009s left and a few colors in 10s And what ever rod configure you would like.
Thanks
David

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Feb 16 2010, 04:25 PM

I would snap up one of Dave's 2009 SLE's.

As far as the 2010 kites:
The difference in MRSP between an SLE and an EXP is $100.
For that $100, you get an SLE leading edge a couple more panels in the sail.
I don't think the SLE is worth having, and iQuad and all the team fliers I've met will agree with me.
You won't be able to feel the difference between the two sails, the panel layout won't make a noticeable difference.

So for 2010, and the original question: SLE or EXP? EXP unless you find the SLE prettier.

The real question now is EXP or B-Series?

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Feb 16 2010, 10:46 PM

It really seems like they've priced the SLE into obsolescence. That's a bummer.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 17 2010, 08:13 AM

I know, it's strange.
They're worried about polyester knock-offs from China. So how do they respond? Raise the price and lower the quality. That doesn't make sense to me.
To get a polyester kite with lines is now MSRP for around $400!

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Feb 17 2010, 11:49 AM

Lynn and I started with EXPs. We still fly them. They don't fly as nice as a "B" series, but the do go anywhere we want them to go, in any orientation we choose. They are not a flat as a poly kite, but still fly very well.

We also have poly SLEs in SUL, standard and vented.
We bought all of our kites before the "B" series came along.

I think if it was my first kite, under the circumstances today, I would go for a "B" or an EXP, depending on finances. I would lean toward the "B" series and be done with it. We have friends who started flying just over a year ago and that's what they did, and have not been sorry.

The best always makes life easier.

Just my thoughts.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Thu, Feb 18 2010, 09:18 AM

I went with a B-series for my first, and I don't regret it...

On the topic of 2010 B-series, I haven't been able to find any pics of the new color choices. Can anybody link me to them?

Thanks,
-Wendy

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 18 2010, 12:19 PM

I just got off the phone with Ben of Revolution, and he and I had a bit of a discussion on the new SLE.
Apparently there are some other differences between the EXP and the SLE and Ben is gonna make up a list of them for me.
I'll post back when he does, but it will probably be a couple weeks.

Basically he said the SLE has some higher quality parts: better screening in the vents, higher quality nylon in the sail, and more reinforcements on the LE.

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Thu, Feb 18 2010, 01:20 PM

We have a couple of the 2010 B's in stock. I have been trying to get out and get some quality pictures of them but the weather and my schedule seems to always conflict. Hopefully we can get out this weekend.

The B-Series has not really gone through any drastic changes at all with the retirement of two colors (Aqua and Gold) and they now added in the same standard colors with the gray panels instead of the black ones - which has lightened up the kite a bit (color lightened, not overall weight - that remains the same). :)

Here's a quick shot just outside our store.
Attachments
new B-Series Gray.jpg
new B-Series Gray.jpg (105.99 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
Happy Winds!

Kent

www.awindofchange.com

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Thu, Feb 18 2010, 02:53 PM

And I just spent the last 10 minutes looking for cheap flights to the southwest... man, that sky is beautiful. *sigh* And what's your weather like out there?? 8)

Thanks for the pic - I was having trouble visualizing what they meant by the gray. I didn't realize they'd retired the gold, though. :( I'll have to ponder getting a custom RW&B B-series then, I guess....

-Wendy

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 18 2010, 08:14 PM

oooh red! Nice.

Southwest if often a little more expensive, try Kayak.com to check prices on the airlines other than Southwest. A quick check looks like Kite Party is running $300, including taxes, for Chicago to Orange Country (SNA) on American, Delta, or United.

It'd be great to have you out there!

Return to “Quad Line Kites”