Custom Handle Information

Talk about kite accessories. Bags, Spars, etc.
cadguy

Re: Custom Handle Information

Postby cadguy » Fri, Sep 04 2009, 10:41 PM

FIXTURES! I don't need no stinkin' Fixtures! :rotfl
so far i've used the garage floor, my foot, and a clamp-on vice.
do you want to see the actual tape I'll hang the rods from when I spray paint them?

But really, the powder coating process is nice.
Nice work guys.

D

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Oct 20 2009, 09:03 PM

Adding on to this one, Attached is some photos of some handles I am making. Started with 3/8 6061 aluminum. Turned the grooves, rounded the ends, and polished them up. Then bent them on a jig I made. The only thing left is to get the grips, powder coat them (maybe), and make the leaders. Couple questions--1st, what type of glue or epoxy do you use to glue on the grips. 2nd, what weight of line is used for the leaders. And does anybody have a bunch and want to sell me 20 or 30 feet. Image Image Image Image
the last two photos are some endcaps that are actually carb caps from autozone. And the last is my bending jig>

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Oct 21 2009, 12:38 AM

Good looking handles!

I've been using common two-part epoxy ... 30 minute stuff so I've got a reasonable working time. 5 minute stuff would work for one grip at a time if you work somewhat quickly. I want to check with the golf shop for the tape that they use for installing grips on the clubs. I've read that some folks are using it successfully.

The leader material is common bridle line. 90# spectra lines will break at the knots at about 65# of pull, so almost any bridle line in the 90# range will have a good safety factor ... and if you double it up, then no problem going even lighter. Dave should have some in his store. It takes more than you think if you double it up. Remember that each knot takes up about a 1/2 inch.

How many jigs did you make to get the "correct" bend? I wanted to duplicate the bend on my first set of handles, so ended up making three different jigs to get it right.

Cheers,
Tom

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Oct 21 2009, 09:20 AM

Hey Tom,
Thanks for the compliments. The good thing about making the jig out of metal, it can be easily adjusted. The first set up didn't bend them enough, I heated and readjusted the jig, and it still wasn't exactly what I wanted so I grinded the profile a bit to make the bend even. It still isn't perfect, I am about 90% there. The aluminum is fairly cheap, $12 for 12ft. so I rolled with what I had. I am thinking of trying to make the next sets with 1/2 inch material. There is a bunch more grip options for 1/2 I.D. www.mudhole.com has a bunch of cool colors of eva and haypalon but they are mostly 1/2 inch I.D. I don't think the little extra weight would matter. I like the groove for the leader, I used a 1/8" radius tool to turn them. I have some grips on order, and am hoping Big Mike will let me come out and try his powder coating setup. If he is all set up anyway. Where could I get the bridle line in different colors? or is it only available in black and white? Its been a fun project so far. I will post more photos as they are completed.
Have a great day, Mikey

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Oct 21 2009, 10:29 AM

Darkspark wrote:... Where could I get the bridle line in different colors? or is it only available in black and white?

Mikey,

The other thing you can use is sleeving. If you look at the Rev leaders, I'm almost positive that they're made with sleeving.

The main problem with both sleeving and bridle line is that there doesn't seem to be a steady source for a particular product/color. At Milwaukee, Ben told me that he was having trouble buying the red bridle line. So, when a kite manufacturer has problems obtaining a certain color, you and I are really out in the cold. Shanti makes a black, white, white-with-green-tracer and white-with-black-tracer sleeving. Dave can get you a 100 foot roll of either of them. Hang-em-High sells both black and white bridle line in 50 foot rolls. I'm traveling so don't have access to my cheat sheet, but if I remember correctly, it takes some where between 5 and 6 feet of line to make the leaders for a pair of handles ... if you double the lines.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 21 2009, 02:24 PM

Really nice looking handles, Mikey. I like the groove and the rounded tops.
You can use anything for leaders that isn't stretchy. Rev's leaders are sometimes a bit stretchy, but it's such a short length it probably doesn't matter much.
The only way I know to get colors would be to dye white bridle line.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 21 2009, 02:28 PM

Jeepster: put all your info on your laptop! Then you'll always have your cheat sheet with you!
Or if you don't travel with a laptop, look into Evernote. It's a free program that runs on linux, mac, windows, iphone, windows smartphone, etc. The data is stored out on the web, so you can also access it via a web browser from any computer.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, Oct 21 2009, 02:57 PM

Yes Mikey the powder coating is set up and ready to go I will give you a call tonight I have a couple of Pics of some handles that I have done if Tom or Mike would like to post them.

Next the best way to hold the grips on is to use grip tape for golf culb handles. They make it in a water and a solvent activated, the water works fine. If any one would like to have a set of there stainless handle powder coated I can do any custom color you want and the grips will come off with the use of a little acetone and can be put back on after powder coating with grip tape.

Big MIke

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 21 2009, 05:56 PM

Here's the photos Mike emailed me:

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, Oct 21 2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks Mike for posting the pictures

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Nov 17 2009, 02:25 PM

Spent Saturday afternoon with Mike S. to show him how to make grips from raw stock. Mike located some Hypalon in a size that will work well on 3/8 inch handles. The outer diameter is 1-1/4 inch, so we turned a pair of grips down to 1-1/16 inch OD and they look good. The Hypalon material is softer and provides a little more grip than the EVA that I used. Now if his supplier can come up with more material, we'll be all set.

Mike offered to powder coat a couple of handle sets for me. I think my title is "prototype man"! He's still working on fine tuning the process. Well, I made two sets to let him work on ... a picture of the results is attached. Both colors are translucent (read that as Candy Apple colors) and both look really cool. Realize that the picture was taken on an overcast day ... the colors really "pop" in the sun. The red powder coating went on well and is very strong. The purple went on well, but is a little brittle and chips, so Mike is in the process of troubleshooting the process.

If you're interested in a really custom set of clipless handles, you might want to contact Mike ... custom color, custom grip diameter, custom grip location, etc ...

Cheers,
Tom

[albumimg]1371[/albumimg]

Sailor99

Postby Sailor99 » Wed, Nov 18 2009, 01:07 AM

Looking good! The Hyperlon is definitely the way to go. I am sure powder coating is just fine too. We had some anodized over here but 20 or so of us had to group together to make it even half way economical. Anodizing just isn't a small quantity process. We also added a grove top and bottom where the hole for the line is. The leader can then lay in the groove which is more comfortable on your thumb. Of course in very cold weather the rubbers on the end can be useful in stopping your thumb getting cold, but we are all slaves to style over here sowould never be seen with unsightly black rubber caps!

Now, did I tell you about how light my titanium handles are? But they cost a pretty penny.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Nov 18 2009, 10:41 AM

Yeah, the groove/no cap method makes for a good looking handles, but I've been assured that I wouldn't like it when it's cold.
Back in post #2 of this thread, those handles don't have the groove, nor a cap. After the initial concern I found I didn't notice the leaders under my thumb.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Nov 23 2009, 09:00 AM

I flew for an extended time on my handles at the club fly.
Taking Jeepsters advice, I moved the grips slightly higher. This allows my thumb to rest on the top of the handles easier. I like this grip and with my thumb on top, the groove isn't needed at all, since I'm not in contact with the leaders.

Also, the grips I got were slightly smaller (1") than the standard handles. I quickly adjusted to them and when I later picked up someone's standard handles they felt big, heavy, and oversized.

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Mon, Nov 23 2009, 05:43 PM

"when I later picked up someone's standard handles they felt big, heavy, and oversized."

:shock:

Oh yeah, well my handles can beat up your handles :P

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Nov 23 2009, 06:36 PM

TeamTrejo wrote:Oh yeah, well my handles can beat up your handles :P

Mine are too sophisticated to be brawling!!!

Actually, I now have more handles than kites. 9", 11", 13" and 15" clip less. Have five of the 13" clip less ... some anodized and some powder coated ... some with EVA grips and some with Hypalon grips. One Rev snake skin and two standard Rev handles. Oh yes, a set of indoor handles are on order along with an indoor Rev.

Hello, my name is Tom, and I'm a handle addict ... I really need to get a grip on this problem.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Nov 23 2009, 06:55 PM

"I really need to get a grip on this problem."
Grooaaaannnnn

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Jul 17 2010, 10:59 PM

I have had some handles half finished sitting here for the last few months, and because of a lost handle at the last fest I had to get a set or two made. I wanted to try something different, and seeing how the steering wheel in my car is my third or fourth favorite thing to hold on two I thought I would try leather over the hypalon. I did it two different ways one set with the stitching on the front of the grips, the other with the stitching on the back. I will have to take them out and see what way is more comfortable. They are both soft and easy to grip, comfortable to hold on too. I just sanded the hypalon down a little more than usual to make up for the extra added to it by the leather. The leather is from Michael's. They didn't have a huge choice but these two came out nice. Now I can't wait to get a chance to try them. (on a day I won't melt just stepping outside) Here are a few pics of the final product. Image Image Image Image

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 18 2010, 02:44 PM

Those are cool!
I haven't seen it done before either.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Jul 18 2010, 04:47 PM

Hey, this "cool handle" thing is getting way out of hand.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Return to “Accessories”