New From DeKalb

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Jimdek

New From DeKalb

Postby Jimdek » Sun, Sep 06 2009, 01:44 PM

Hi everyone. I was pointed here when I posted in the Revolution forum mentioning the DeKalb kite festival. I live in Dekalb, and thought I was the only person here who likes to fly kites. I had heard of the Kite festival last year, but figured everyone was from out of town.

I just got my kites this year, first the B series mid-vent night, then later the standard non-vented when there was lack of sufficient wind for the mid-vent.

Looking forward to reading about others in the state who share an interest in kites.

Jim

Jeepster

Re: New From DeKalb

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Sep 06 2009, 07:43 PM

Jimdek wrote:Hi everyone. I was pointed here when I posted in the Revolution forum ... Looking forward to reading about others in the state who share an interest in kites.

Jim

Jim,

Glad you made it over here. You probably won't hear much from folks for a day or two ... a large number of us are up at Two Rivers this weekend.

Please do tell a little more about yourself and what you fly ... is it only Revs? We have some SLK fliers and a few dual line fliers ... and quite a few kite builders in the group.

Again, welcome!

Cheers,
Tom

Jimdek

Postby Jimdek » Sun, Sep 06 2009, 10:06 PM

Tom, thanks for the welcome... again.

Revs are all I have flown in a long time. I estimate I have around 30-35 hours total since I got my first one this spring. So I am definitely still a beginner.

I bought a dual line kite last year, but I've never flown it. I think what I really wanted was a quad line, but didn't want to spend that much money.

Believe it or not, I had no idea that so many adults flew kites for themselves. When I was a kid, most grownups only flew with their kids, and those kites were single line. Box kites, which we couldn't afford, were the "cool" kites. I never knew until last year about these new kites.

Where is Two Rivers?

What do you like to fly?

Jim

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Sep 06 2009, 10:40 PM

Hiya Jim, and welcome to the club!
Two Rivers is in Wisconsin. If you click on the "festivals" link at the top of this page you can see what local festivals are left this year.
The DeKalb festival competes with a festival in Milwaukee, so members will be split between these two festivals.
Also check out the Quad Cities festival which isn't too far for you.

Due to a family illness, I'll probably be missing DeKalb this year, but I hope to be back in time for the Quad Cities fest. Perhaps I'll see you there?
By the way, I'm a certified quad-head.

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Sun, Sep 06 2009, 10:44 PM

Jim,

Welcome to the club. We have fliers all over. Check out the club fly and festival forums. They tell you what is coming up and who will be attending. Club flys are a great way to get to know other fliers and people are very generous in letting you try their kites. Club flys can be called by anyone. Create a new topic with time and place and let others know you will be flying.

Next weekend is Dekalb and MOTS (Milwaukee at Veterans Park) festivals. Soon after is the Quad Cities.

Also check the Map section to see where people like to fly.

Below are pictures fresh from Two Rivers, WI (near Manitowoc) fresh from yesterday and today.

180GO! flying for the crowds
Image Image
John
:LogoRevAni:

RadarRider

Postby RadarRider » Sun, Sep 06 2009, 10:50 PM

Welcome Jim!

Heh, you've had your revs for less time than I have but have more flight time. I picked up my B rev (1st) std back in May 2007. Planning on a vented for the gustier days. Was primarily a Spin-Off and slk pilot til I picked up the Rev. Still gotta nail those hovers. Anyways we're going to try and make the DeKalb Fest, and if so will meet and greet all for the first time. Again welcome aboard!

Al
Last edited by RadarRider on Sun, Sep 06 2009, 11:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Sep 07 2009, 10:01 AM

welcome Jim...

I spent a year flying in 2006 believing I was the only Rev flier in the Aurora Area... so I know the feeling.

A bunch of us should be at Dekalb... hopefully we'll see ya then..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Mon, Sep 07 2009, 12:14 PM

If you do come to Dekalb, look for anyone in an IKE shirt (see below) or 180GO! shirt and introduce yourself.

http://www.ikeclub.org/w/images/5/5b/IK ... arty_6.jpg
John

:LogoRevAni:

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Sep 07 2009, 09:08 PM

Welcome Aboard Jim and to the madness of rev flying. As Mike has stated I too am a certified quad-head.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jimdek

Postby Jimdek » Mon, Sep 07 2009, 09:50 PM

Thanks everyone. Glad to be here.

I do plan on going to the Dekalb event, at least briefly. Work may interfere with that plan, as well as other things.

Did anyone order enough wind for that day?

Jim

Draftchick

Postby Draftchick » Wed, Sep 09 2009, 07:48 AM

Yes sir. I did order good winds and fair weather for DeKalb. Placed that order promptly last year when it rained on the rain date of the 08 festival. :-) I'm pleased to know we have another kite enthusiast in town! There are others too. Stop by the sound booth and introduce yourself if you come out Sunday.

TTFN,
Christy

Return to “Introductions”