Internet Explorer V8

Talk about anything you want
Jeepster

Internet Explorer V8

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 10:45 AM

I know this will put a smile on the face of Mac users ... please just make it a small one and no belly laughs.

I let Microsoft update Internet Explorer to Version 8 on my laptop about a month ago. Vista operating system. That update managed to bring the Internet back to the dial up age. I should know better than to hang out on the bleeding edge of technology. Since I really don't have the time for a month or so to rebuild my computer if something goes awry when I back up to IE7, I simply added Mozilla FireFox to use as a search engine. Wow is it a fast search engine. It operates so similar that the learning curve is minimal. I like it ... might stay with it!

I know that IE is still needed to handle a few functions on the Internet, so it'll stay around on my machine. But, one of the problems I'm having and didn't expect, is that I can't log on to the IKE website. The log on screen comes up, allows me to go through the motions of logging on, clicks over to the forum page after going through the steps, but no luck ... I'm still just a visitor. I can get in via IE, so not a critical problem, but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this situation and what they did about it.

Thanks,
Tom

Darkspark

Re: Internet Explorer V8

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 12:00 PM

I use firefox for everything, I am a big fan of it, plus it is safer for your computer than IE. I have never had a problem logging in. Something in the settings with cookies or the like? Check out the add-ons when you get a chance, alot of cool things. I use a couple refesh add-ons for my ebay stuff. There is something for everyone.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 02:39 PM

Darkspark wrote: ... Something in the settings with cookies or the like? ...

Thanks for the hint. I dumped all of the IKE cookies and now I can log in via FireFox.

I think the IKE forum is faster via FoxFire ... can that be possible? I used to click on "New(?)" and go to another forum instead of waiting. Now it seems like a reasonable [strike]wait[/strike] pause.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Fri, Aug 28 2009, 02:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 04:18 PM

I've used Firefox for years. It's cross platform so I was able to use it seamlessly across windows, linux and now my mac.
Look into the add-ons that are available. That's where it really shines.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 04:39 PM

Mike wrote:I've used Firefox for years. It's cross platform so I was able to use it seamlessly across windows, linux and now my mac.

The two Firefox add-ons I like are Download Helper, for capturing videos from the internet, and Adblocker, for stopping those flashing add pop-ups.

Check them out.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 05:40 PM

Jim Foster wrote:
Mike wrote:I've used Firefox for years. It's cross platform so I was able to use it seamlessly across windows, linux and now my mac.

The two Firefox add-ons I like are Download Helper, for capturing videos from the internet, and Adblocker, for stopping those flashing add pop-ups.

Check them out.

Thanks Jim ... I'll check them out.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 06:56 PM

Those are good ones Jim, I use them too. Its now called AD Blocker Plus.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 10:22 PM

Mike

If you recall, when I first started using Firefox I could stay logged in to the other forums, but I had to log into IKE Forum each time I went there. Don't know what changed, but now it keeps me logged into IKE as well.

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Sat, Aug 29 2009, 12:30 AM

I only use [strike]Exploiter[/strike] Explorer when I absolutely have too... their is a Spanish site with ryv plans that seems to be Explorer only... I am not desperate enough to check it out (yet)

if you add too much to fire fox it slows down as well.... and they have been kicking me a lot of updates lately?!?! thinking of going to Opera on my Windows machine.. everything else is Linux with lighter versions of firefox

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Aug 29 2009, 11:46 AM

I use both. Some sites I visit just don't like firefox...

My preference is Firefox though and it's my default browser.

I like the looks and speed of Chrome though. Just wish it was complete.

One of my reasons for Firefox is that I use about 8 different computers and using xmarks addon, I never have to worry about my bookmarks. They are synced across the board...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Aug 29 2009, 12:55 PM

We're off in an hour or so ... will have minimal computer access on this trip! Be back in a few days ... just in time to get ready for Two Rivers.

One thing I liked about FireFox is that it reached out and grabbed my bookmarks from IE. But, it forgot to bring the icons along ... or did I do something wrong ... or is it that I haven't done something right yet?

Cheers,
Tom

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Aug 30 2009, 04:47 PM

Babbman wrote:I use both. Some sites I visit just don't like firefox...

My preference is Firefox though and it's my default browser.

I like the looks and speed of Chrome though. Just wish it was complete.

One of my reasons for Firefox is that I use about 8 different computers and using xmarks addon, I never have to worry about my bookmarks. They are synced across the board...

XMarks rules. If Chrome had that and a couple other extensions, I'd think seriously about using that more. Chrome is fast, Firefox is super functional. IE is a little better in version 8, although not enough to bother with, and Opera has been lapped by the field.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Aug 30 2009, 07:47 PM

And just think. In 1994, when I first touched the internet, the only browser we had was Mosaic...

Until Netscape Navigator came along and it blew Mosaic out of the water...

So how many people here remember gopher and finger?

Going back a little further, I cut my online teeth with Compuserve in 1983, at $6/hr on a 300 baud modem.. then BBS services (running qmodem to connect up) and ended up working for a local one called Aquila here in Aurora from 88 - 93. All run on an IBM PC running double dos...lol... which eventually was upgraded to PCBoard running on about 6 computers...

When the Internet came along, I started writing for Boardwatch Magazine in a monthly column called Babb's Bookmarks... did that for about 2 years...

taking it back even further...lol... in 1973 I was allowed to use a modem connection to the mainframe at Aurora University... just a teletype machine that you took an old Bakelite Handset and shoved into an acoustic coupler. Programs were stored on punch tape and we were amazed that we were able to get these incredible printed ASCII pictures of snoopy...lol...

then on to the TI-99/4A, TRS-80 (I still have a pristine one), Commodore 64 and finally I got to buy a $4000 Gateway 386 machine! I remember spending $240 for each stick of 4Meg of memory to get me up to a whopping 16Meg!

I'm sure Denny remembers those days...lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Aug 30 2009, 11:06 PM

Yup I did punch tape with an acoustic coupler, and finger and gopher too. The hot kite site in those days was on a computer in Hawaii.

chronicent

Postby chronicent » Thu, Oct 29 2009, 07:20 AM

Internet Explorer 8 had many flaws and even i had many problems with it. Compared to Firefox, Firefox is 80% faster.
I have used several browsers, FF, Chrome and Safari.. FireFox leads them all with the speed and features :up:

--edit I think this is a spam post. Signature removed.
--Mike

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Thu, Oct 29 2009, 01:35 PM

I love the Themes you can add to Firefox. Lets you customize your buttons and look very easily. Firefox is also my default browser.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Mar 24 2010, 01:08 PM

Just a bump and a reminder.

I've had some wireless problems on this trip. Stopped at a reputable hotel in Denver on the way out to KP8 and my internet access ground to a halt when I used their wireless system. The ether net connection works here in Phoenix, but no wireless anymore. Need to get home to my start-up disks before troubleshooting any more.

Anyway, in the mix with all of this I found that the IKE forum would no longer let me log on via Firefox. Oh the names I called the forum managers. Actually, Google calendar wouldn't work either via Firefox. Both sites worked okay via Explorer, so I remembered my past experience and dumped my Google and IKE cookies. Both sites instantly started working correctly again.

So, if you're having problems with any sites you're trying to access via Firefox ... dump their cookies and try again!

Cheers,
Tom

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Mar 24 2010, 08:00 PM

Tom

Your WIFI switch didn't get turned off did it?

Just a thought.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 24 2010, 10:57 PM

Good thought Jim, the wifi switch happens.

I've found the wifi at hotels to be really slow the last couple years. I think there's a lot more wifi use now, and they can't handle it well.
Sometimes the 3G on my phone is faster than the wifi!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Mar 25 2010, 11:54 AM

Jim Foster wrote:Tom

Your WIFI switch didn't get turned off did it?

Just a thought.

No, but that's a good thought though ... thanks for the hint. I discovered the WIFI switch on my good (home) laptop by accident. Turned it off inadvertently and then cussed and fussed until I was able to uncover the problem. My travel laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1150 which was shipped in Nov 1994 and uses the <Fn><F2> keys to turn the WIFI on and off. Shows a BIG RED X through the WIFI icon when it's turned off ... the kind of dummy proof assistance I need.

I spent some time messing around with the computer yesterday. Downloaded Eusing registry cleaner and ran it. Something like 590 errors the first time through ... then 57 errors the second time through ... then zero errors the third time through. Reinstalled the wireless drivers ... this time they completed the install process. Now the wireless is again working. Well, it worked at a home network ... with a new N router none-the-less. The true test will be when we're back on the road.

I agree with Mike, the wireless systems at hotels are getting slower and slower as more and more folks are bringing their laptops along on trips. 10 or 11 mb/s seems to be the advertised norm ... actual download speed can be around one or two.

The USA Today had an article a few days ago about the top ten cities in which you might have your computer hacked. Denver, CO was one of the ten ... and, that's where my computer started having problems. Hmmm. We stayed in an area where there were three large hotels within a stone's throw of each other.

So, I've repaired the registry with Eusing. Have downloaded all of the updates for Windows 98 ... I'm using the Windows' firewall. Virus protection is via Avast ... have run a complete scan for viruses. Four were found when I started having the problems in Denver ... none now. What are your suggestions for a good freeware product to check for malware? And, what else should I do for protection?

Cheers,
Tom

PS The wind in Phoenix in March is terrible. I haven't flown since leaving Huntington Beach. The only two times when the winds were good were trumped with family duties. So, I'm jealous of you guys and the fun fly this weekend.

Return to “Not Kites”