The Rev SUL bridle

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Mike

The Rev SUL bridle

Postby Mike » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 10:16 AM

I answered this question via email and thought it would be good to post it here for anyone new to revs.
The Rev SUL has a bridle made from spectra, the same line you use to fly with.
One of the knots has a tendency to slip, but if you put a drop of super glue on it before you fly it the first time, it will hold for the life of the bridle.

Put a drop of glue on this knot (and also on the same knot on the left side of the kite).

Sailor99

Re: The Rev SUL Bridle

Postby Sailor99 » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 10:36 AM

Additional:

The lines tend to come off where you larks head them onto the bridle in my experience. This is because the knot in the bridle attachment point is pretty tiny and does not provide a good grip for the larks head on your lines. Solve this in one of 3 ways:

1) Make the bridle attachment points loops and put the larks head in these onto a simple thumb knot in the leaders of the lines. Take the thumb knot out when you have finished flying the SUL.
2) Splice a small length of ordinary bridle line onto the bridle attachment points - tie a decent size knot in this.
3) Tie a really big knot in the spectra of the bridle at the attachment points. I use a constrictor knot, but is probably called something else state-side. Any bulky knot will do.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 11:08 AM

I measured several 1.5 bridles and a Rev II bridle to understand how to size the half-pint bridle. Again, it probably doesn't affect your flying that much, but I did find deviations between several bridle pieces on the same kite. I moved several knots to equalize the bridle sides and now have no excuse for my flying style.

It's probably not necessary, but I'd still advise taking the bridle off and double checking before any gluing takes place. Take the bridle off and compare the left and right vertical bridle lines to each other ... adjust as necessary to make them even. Hang the horizontal bridle line from the mid-point loop and compare the left side to the right side ... adjust as necessary to make them even. Do this before using super glue on any of the knots. I glued all the knots on my first SUL kite bridle ... the McKite bridle has gotten lots of use and is still correctly balanced.

I agree with Jeremy that the line attachment knots need enlarging on the spectra bridles. I changed mine to a figure eight knot and that has worked. My latest SUL bridle is a little thicker than the first. I plan on flying it for awhile, removing it, adjusting it and then gluing those knots in place.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Re: The Rev SUL bridle

Postby Mike » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 03:23 PM

I stopped having a problem with my flying lines coming off once I was more careful with how I attached the flying lines.
Once I've larks-headed the flying lines on, I push down on the larks-head almost inverting it to lock it. Like what you would do with a prusik knot.
My team kite had a spectra bridle on it for a year and half (I just broke it in high winds) and my lines haven't slipped off. No bridle mod needed in my opinion.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Fri, Aug 28 2009, 04:45 PM

I use Sailor's #2 solution on our SULs.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Aug 29 2009, 11:51 AM

I bypassed the problem completely by putting a standard 1.5 bridle on my SUL.

The weight savings of the spectra bridle really just isn't enough to worry about, quite honestly. A few 10's of an ounce with the winds we have in this area? lol... Plus, the spectra bridle seemed to wear out rather quickly for me.

It does pay to double check the bridle in all cases though as I've had some differences between sides... But hey, it's string and knots and things slip...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Sailor99

Postby Sailor99 » Sun, Aug 30 2009, 12:22 PM

Babbmans post got me thinking about light winds. I used to hate them, then almost a year ago Mike gave me a floating lesson at Bristol kite festival. The lesson was revisted some months later at KP7. I now know any old un-vented rev is just fine in the light stuff. So, the best way to make yourself an SUL is to get someone who knows to show you light wind technique, and all the spectra bridle stuff is really just shim sham.

My spectra bridled SUL has not been out the trunk of my car for ages now and I just decided it will be on eBay pretty soon .....

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sun, Aug 30 2009, 11:28 PM

Sailor99 wrote:Babbmans post got me thinking about light winds. I used to hate them, then almost a year ago Mike gave me a floating lesson at Bristol kite festival. The lesson was revisted some months later at KP7. I now know any old un-vented rev is just fine in the light stuff. So, the best way to make yourself an SUL is to get someone who knows to show you light wind technique, and all the spectra bridle stuff is really just shim sham.

My spectra bridled SUL has not been out the trunk of my car for ages now and I just decided it will be on eBay pretty soon .....

Speaking of light-wind flying... Wondering... If using 50# lines (instead of 90#) would help? (Worth the investment?)
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Aug 31 2009, 11:29 AM

I have them and quite honestly, the difference between 50's and 90's isn't worth the investment. Light wind flying is all about technique and almost nothing about wind speed, or lack of it... just ask the indoor guys...

I personally think that shorter lines in low to no winds are the best investment. 40'ers are excellent.

Just my opinion...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Aug 31 2009, 11:39 PM

I especially don't like the Shanti 50# lines, they tangle if you just look at them funny.
The Laser Pro are much better as far as tangling, but 50# lines don't make a big difference for me.

John Barresi thinks 50# lines make a difference and iQuad always carries a set, though I can only remember using them once.

Return to “Quad Line Kites”