Ready For The 2nd And Need Rod Advice

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
catspaw00

Ready For The 2nd And Need Rod Advice

Postby catspaw00 » Thu, Aug 13 2009, 12:21 PM

I have race rods and 3-wrap now. Since my new one will come with 3-wrap, and Dave is nice enough to let me swap, should I get 2-wrap or 4-wrap instead of the 3s?

-Wendy

catspaw00

Re: Ready For The 2nd And Need Rod Advice

Postby catspaw00 » Thu, Aug 13 2009, 12:24 PM

Oh, by the by, I determined that I needed the 2nd one because the winds died down... since my lovely new B-series is less lovely on the ground (or flopping down to it), I figure I need a non-vented sail as well.

:shock:

Pure sophistry, actually, because I was already jonesing to buy another one. *sigh* Evil... pure evil. :revspin:

-W

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Aug 13 2009, 01:35 PM

catspaw00 wrote:I have race rods and 3-wrap now. Since my new one will come with 3-wrap, and Dave is nice enough to let me swap, should I get 2-wrap or 4-wrap instead of the 3s?

-Wendy

Which kite are you buying? Since you asked the question about a 3-wrap rod set, the assumption is that you're buying a non-vented B-series. Then swap the 2-wraps for a set of 4-wraps.

That will leave you with a Race Rod set and 3-wraps for the non-vented ... and 3-wraps and 4-wraps for the vented. Most of your flying with the non-vented will be with Race Rods ... as the wind picks up you can move up to the 3-wraps or switch to the vented and 3-wraps. Most of your flying with the vented will be with 3-wraps ... and then 4-wraps when the wind really picks up. It's much easier to have 3-wraps for both the non-vented and the vented. I think most folks hate to switch out rods too much ... and switching rods out of one kite and into another is frustrating enough to irritate the pope.

My opinion only ... but then, I've got at least two frame sets for every kite I own. Even my REV II has two different frame sets. I avoid having to pull a frame set out of one kite and stick it into a second like the plague.

Cheers,
Tom

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Thu, Aug 13 2009, 02:12 PM

Yup, I would recommend the 4 Wraps as well, then you have pretty much every rod covered.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Thu, Aug 13 2009, 02:15 PM

Thanks, guys. That's what I needed to know. :)

-Wendy

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Thu, Aug 13 2009, 03:46 PM

awindofchange wrote:Yup, I would recommend the 4 Wraps as well, then you have pretty much every rod covered.

+1

When the wind is howling I prefer the vented with 4 wraps. Gives the kite a nice solid (I'm not going to break) feel.
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Thu, Aug 13 2009, 04:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Aug 13 2009, 04:40 PM

Get a 2 wrap leading edge, and 4 wraps for the verticals.

:-D
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Thu, Aug 13 2009, 07:16 PM

Well here is my 2 cents worth Nick and I have been flying with 3 wraps in our vented and standard sails. Nick has been telling me that it is easier in low winds to fly with 3 wraps then with 2 wraps and since my mind could not grasp that (2 wrap lighter it must fly better in low winds) or I just didn't believe him we went out on a low to no wind day to test this out. We set up two B-Series 1 with 2 wraps and 1 with 3 wraps, after flying both it was almost a wash but I did find it a little easier to fly and keep the kite with the 3 wraps in the air. With all that said we have put 3 wraps in all of our kite and keep spare sets of 4 wraps in our bag for heavy wind days(no 2 wraps in the bag). This is just my observation and there are alot of opinions on this subject, I hope this helps you and didn't confuse the issue.

Big Mike

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Aug 13 2009, 09:19 PM

My vote is for the 4 wraps too. It completes the set.

Sailor99

Postby Sailor99 » Fri, Aug 14 2009, 12:42 AM

I agree, 4 wraps would seem the most appropriate decision.

Interesting observation big Mike. I think I can feel an experiement coming on too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Aug 14 2009, 11:20 AM

4's...

the race rods cover you for the 2 wraps and 3 wraps...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Return to “Quad Line Kites”