Brand New Bag

Talk about kite accessories. Bags, Spars, etc.
catspaw00

Brand New Bag

Postby catspaw00 » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 07:21 AM

Hi everybody,

So, what bag should I go with? I can't seem to find good pics of any of the bags out there. Or should I just sew up my own?

Also, would it be worthwhile to buy "travel rods"?

-Wendy

Jeepster

Re: Brand New Bag

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 10:07 AM

catspaw00 wrote:Hi everybody,

So, what bag should I go with? I can't seem to find good pics of any of the bags out there. Or should I just sew up my own?

-Wendy

Wendy,

It all depends on your price point. I've used e-Bay strictly for the pictures ... not trying to send you there.

This bag is 55 inches long and costs about $24 in the states. I've got one in both a 55 inch and a 77 inch length. Not the most handy bag, but still very good for the price. Not sure you can make one for $24. If you’re a good seamstress, you can modify it easily to be more functional:

HQ Bag

The Kite Connection sells the red Rev bag that you'll see many of the IKE members using ... it's made strictly for The Kite Connection. The e-Bay price includes shipping. Go to The Kite Connection web site and search for "TKC Kite Bag" to see his price. They sell for about $39:

TKC Bag

If you want to go First Class, then you need to look into the Official Rev Roll Up bag. The Rev site is down right now, so I’ll send you to Wind Power Sports for a picture … Cody sells it for $129:

Rev Bag

or use the full address ... http://www.windpowersports.com/accessor ... on-bag.php

I’ll bring my HQ bag and TKC bag to the festival this weekend. Mike Cory has TKC bag and the Rev Roll up bag. Thus, you’ll be able to touch and feel all three of the above options. Others might have some favorites also.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Mon, Aug 10 2009, 10:54 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 10:20 AM

catspaw00 wrote:Hi everybody,

-Wendy

Opps, missed the "travel rods" question.

Jynx would probably tell you "Yes" because she needs the shorter length to fit in the saddle bags on her bike.

If you don't have any special needs like Jynx has (travel wise, I mean), then I'd vote "No". For airplane travel my son uses a section of PVC pipe with one end cap glued on and the second secured with duct tape. It's marked up with the IKE logo and his name and address. Not the coolest arraignment, but very functional. I bought a 42 inch long, cloth covered, fly rod case from Bass Pro Shop for $20. The rods are stripped out of the kites and the cases are used to transport them safely. The kites and the rest of the accessories go in our checked baggage. The rod case can usually be hand carried without counting as a carry on ... after all, it's not much more than the size of a cane!!!

Cheers,
Tom

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 10:26 AM

Jeepster wrote:Wendy,

I’ll bring my HQ bag and TKC bag to the festival this weekend. Mike Cory has TKC bag and the Rev Roll up bag. Thus, you’ll be able to touch and feel all three of the above options. Others might have some favorites also.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks, Tom. I'll definitely check them out. I was kicking myself for not taking a look when I meet y'all in Kankakee a couple of weeks ago. I was kite-high, though, and figure I was lucky I was at all coherent. *grin*

Yeah, I was more concerned with the rods getting broken. I go to visit friends in South Dakota and Portland, OR, occasionally, and since I try to never bring checked baggage anymore (twice had my luggage arrive open... nothing missing, but still, creepy), I was stumped as to how to get the rods there in one piece. Thanks for the ideas.

-Wendy

Sailor99

Postby Sailor99 » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 10:43 AM

Slightly off topic. But I noticed you said your son has his address on his rod tube (The tube is a fine idea BTW - I also have a piece of foam rubber in the ends to stop the rods knocking around). Over here, buglers cruse airport check-ins looking for people who look like they are going on holiday. Then they take a sneaky look at their luggage labels, and go and burglarize their home. I am sure that if UK robbers have thought of it, US thieves have too............

Maybe put the address on a piece of paper inside the tube.
Last edited by Sailor99 on Mon, Aug 10 2009, 10:44 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 10:56 AM

Jeepster wrote:For airplane travel my son uses a section of PVC pipe with one end cap glued on and the second secured with duct tape.

I've done the same. It's easier than the spy case that I made a couple years ago, although not nearly as fun.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 11:08 AM

Sailor99 wrote:Slightly off topic. But I noticed you said your son has his address on his rod tube (The tube is a fine idea BTW - I also have a piece of foam rubber in the ends to stop the rods knocking around). Over here, buglers cruse airport check-ins looking for people who look like they are going on holiday. Then they take a sneaky look at their luggage labels, and go and burglarize their home. I am sure that if UK robbers have thought of it, US thieves have too............

Maybe put the address on a piece of paper inside the tube.

Commercial travel is not much fun anymore!!! I'll check with Jamie and see if he's using his home address or his corporate address. The wife and I have always used my corporate address on our luggage to alleviate the burglar concern. Using it even into retirement ... still keep in touch with my admin assistant.

I've also started to think about not posting on forums when we're traveling. However, a funny thing happened this last week that makes me think it's not that big of a problem. A contractor left his notebook on our back patio just before we left on vacation. He stopped by to look for it a couple of days later ... after we'd left. He later told me he was in the back yard for 30 seconds when our neighbor came out to check on what he was doing there. Loved the awe in his voice when he told me the story.

Cheers,
Tom

Sailor99

Postby Sailor99 » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 02:29 PM

When our maid came round while we were away on holiday a few months ago she left the front door unlocked - was unlocked for a week! We were lucky I guess.

Like you say, probably overly sensitive; We all are these days.

Sorry for being OT - back to bags.

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 03:22 PM

Wendy,

I just bought a kite bag from Into The Wind. It is in IKE colors, Has large interior, a nice outside zippered pocket that has two zippered interior pockets. The interior pockets are perfect size for line sets. Also has shockcord across outside pocket for bulky items, water bottle,etc. Very well made.

The main zippers go a long ways around giving excellent interior access. Has both handles and shoulder strap.

I took a piece of PVC tube and put caps on each end with padding inside to hold and protect extra spars and make them easy to find in the bag. Could use multiple tubes to protect kites if checked it as baggage.

The TKC bag is also nice. You can compare Mike's and mine the next time you see us.

http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Kite_Pa ... e_Carryall

Last edited by RevJB on Mon, Aug 10 2009, 04:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.
John
:LogoRevAni:

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 04:10 PM

I like the color scheme on that. Thanks, John.

You guys have given me lots to ponder.

-Wendy

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Aug 11 2009, 10:23 AM

Hey guys And gals

We carry all the same bags all you need to do is call :up:

Return to “Accessories”