Painted Rev 1.5

The result of our kite making adventures
Darkspark

Painted Rev 1.5

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Aug 09 2009, 11:07 AM

I finished painting my Red Bull Rev 1.5 yesterday. It started as a all white sail, and after a whole day of masking and spraying here is what I ended up with. For the most part I am pleased with the results. I did have a problem with the mask on the yellow pulling off a bit of the red on the bulls. Should have used a lighter tack tape, but I have been brushing on some touch-up, and it is slowly filling back in. It is hard to see until the light is shining through it. Where it will be spending most of its time, of coarse.
Attachments
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG (129.54 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG (145.6 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Mike

Re: Painted Rev 1.5

Postby Mike » Sun, Aug 09 2009, 12:48 PM

Cool! :up: Nicely done!

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Sun, Aug 09 2009, 01:17 PM

I can't wait to see the pictures. For some reason I don't see any pictures or links to them. I've noticed this before on really old posts and thought the pictures had been deleted.

Any help from the admins?

Edit:
Ok, I posted my reply and suddenly the pictures are there!
Very cool paint job! :coolp:
Last edited by RevJB on Sun, Aug 09 2009, 01:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.
John
:LogoRevAni:

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Aug 09 2009, 01:23 PM

pm me with an email address and I will email you a couple photos. I hope I put them in the post properly. Seems Mike could see them or he was just being nice :lol: Edit: Or they might randomly show up.
Last edited by Darkspark on Sun, Aug 09 2009, 01:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Sun, Aug 09 2009, 08:07 PM

two questions...
is that a stock rev white sail?
what kind of paint did you use?

I was at the mall and had a crazy thought to bring a white sail into the airbrush dude and have him paint my image on it...
stenciling is a very good idea as well...

kites as art... I like what I see on the rev site but I am thinking of trying to step it up a notch...

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Aug 09 2009, 08:35 PM

The kite was purchased as an all white Rev 1.5 sle. I am not sure how many of the sails are around, but I think it should be a fairly easy item to come by. I like the white they use, it is so thin and translucent.
The paint is Design Master colortool. Kitebuilder carries it, but I had a hard time getting the yellow. Eventually I found out that Michael's craft stores carried 30 or more colors. It is made for painting silk flowers, in rattle cans. I wish it came in bottles so it could be airbrushed. It goes on so thin, and dries almost instantly. The ripstop feels the same as it did before paint. I used painters tape to make all the edges, and would reccomend using the light tack tape. The regular tape is too sticky. The bulls were painted with a laser cut mask that my sister had made at the print shop that they run.

If the paint could be used with an airbrush the possibilities would be endless.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Aug 09 2009, 09:23 PM

Darkspark wrote:If the paint could be used with an airbrush the possibilities would be endless.

Great looking kite. It'll be at the festival next weekend ... yes?

If you're brave, you can convert a spray can into a non-spray can. A simple small hole poked in the top of the can will let out the air without letting out the point. Use a large garbage bag to capture the minor paint spray that will leak out ... place the paint can, punch and hammer in the garbage bag and depressurize the can. Once the pressure is let out, punch a couple of larger holes in the can and pour into a paint container.

If you're not that brave, you can spray the paint into a paint container. I've done that with my RC paints. One of my cans developed what looked like a little rust. I only needed to do some touch up and didn't want to buy a new can of paint. I sprayed the paint into a container, filtered out the "chunks", thinned and sprayed with a Badger airbrush. Worked like a champ!

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Sun, Aug 09 2009, 09:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Aug 09 2009, 10:42 PM

I will be at the festival next weekend, along with the kite.
I will have to try your method of removing the paint. maybe it can help my touch up problem. the paint doesn't go on well with a brush. And I have been doing something similar with the brush anyhow. Spraying a bunch into the cap. I am not a big fan of rattle cans, but I like the paint and the results. The next test is to see how it holds up to use.

Return to “Completed Creations”