Northern IKE Club Fly - July 19th

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
catspaw00

Re: Northern IKE Club Fly - July 19th

Postby catspaw00 » Mon, Jul 20 2009, 10:29 PM

TeamTrejo wrote:Brick House by The Commodores

My bad. I thought it was RJ singing it. *grin* I stand corrected.

:D
Last edited by catspaw00 on Mon, Jul 20 2009, 10:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Nomad

Postby Nomad » Mon, Jul 20 2009, 10:32 PM

Jeff wrote:We had 2 power kites, 4 duals, a single line and 4 quads going today

No way. We had one power kite and a parafoil. After flying Wendy's beast I'm never calling mine a power kite again, I've experienced real power now :twisted: . My kite is a nice, practical little parafoil. It handles nicer as well, this is the opposite of what I would have expected but maybe the high aspect ratio gives it better turn performance.

Honestly I think the Rev was pulling almost as hard as my parafoil when we had the peak wind.

I had a lot of fun. I'm happy to have had another shot at a Rev, and this time in enough wind that I could feel the pull of the kite. I'm a tactile person, the feedback was useful. I finally got to start building up the new reflexes that a quad needs. It was quite a kick getting that thing up and actually controlling it, seeing my commands have the intended effect. I've still got a ways to go to get all the proper reflexes, but I feel I've got a basic handle on the concept now.

I have GOT to get me one of those, but for now I believe I heard that there should be more loaners available at the Kankakee meet. The thing I need the most work on now is maintaining control at all orientations. I can kind of handle sideways, but once I go inverted I lose it. Inverted was always my weakness with RC planes, but not this bad, I think I'm just hardwired into having a kite moving in one direction only. Having a kite that can go in all directions is going to need some new neural pathways. Which are only going to get built with more flying.

The start of the day was frustrating, but once the wind picked up a little things went well. I had the best luck I've yet had launching mine, I think I just wasn't using enough brute force in the past. I felt like the odd man out having the only kite in the air (besides the skate) that couldn't stop on a dime, but it's a nice relaxing kite to fly.

So I'm looking forward to next weekend, hoping we get more consistent wind. I just hope I don't end up with orange shoes again. My boots cleaned off well enough, they no longer look like they do in that picture, but.. I'd like to keep them that way, this time.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Jul 21 2009, 03:42 PM

I have 1 standard sail 1.5 that someone can fly in kankakee plus I am sure there will be others with a spare kite or two. The orange stuff is pollen from either corn or soybeans. (i think) I haven't noticed at the park in Limestone, but it just depends on the fields nearby, and how far along they are.

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Tue, Jul 21 2009, 04:33 PM

Darkspark wrote:The orange stuff is pollen from either corn or soybeans.

Someone mentioned it might be pollen. It's a good thing I've out grown my allergies.

Had a nice time flying a duelie for a change. Still remembered how to do some tricks.

Wendy gave my 1.5 a good bashing. Just kidding. With some decent wind she will do just fine.

Not enough wind for KAPing. Unless you could use a Skate as a lifter. Hey Jeff, there is an idea for you.
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Tue, Jul 21 2009, 04:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jul 21 2009, 05:18 PM

TeamTrejo wrote:
Not enough wind for KAPing. Unless you could use a Skate as a lifter. Hey Jeff, there is an idea for you.

Maybe it could lift a pinhole camera.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Tue, Jul 21 2009, 06:08 PM

TeamTrejo wrote:
Darkspark wrote:The orange stuff is pollen from either corn or soybeans.

Wendy gave my 1.5 a good bashing. Just kidding. With some decent wind she will do just fine.

Yeah, sorry about that. :oops: Getting my own, though, really soon... :thanks: for the vote of confidence, though. And thanks for bringing the tunes - I think I'm going make up a "kiting kit" and make sure my backup MP3 player is charged up and in there, along with some sunscreen (I got burned), bottled water and one of my knives. I'll review the checklist from the IKElopedia and fill in anything I'm missing...

Pollen, huh? Well, that explains why the cats were totally disinterested. It seemed such a vibrant orange, pollen never crossed my mind. I always associate that color with fake. *grin*

Can't wait 'til Kankakee.

-Wendy

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”