Half Pint Project

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Sailor99

Re: Half Pint Project

Postby Sailor99 » Fri, Jul 17 2009, 12:23 AM

Good work Tom.

I used to use double sided seam tape but found it too troublesome in terms of gumming up my needle. Now days I use Sellotape (scotch tape in the US I think) or pritt (a very weak childrens' glue that comes in stick form a bit like lipstick).

How did you use holes to make a LE vent on prototypes? Do you have pictures? You and Jim are right that it creates lots of work and an alternative is interesting. Mind you, given the rumour mongers output, it's no work for me as I get my kites made in China [roll eyes].

Are you putting in a LE curve?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Jul 17 2009, 08:00 AM

Sailor99 wrote:Good work Tom.

I used to use double sided seam tape but found it too troublesome in terms of gumming up my needle. Now days I use Sellotape (scotch tape in the US I think) or pritt (a very weak childrens' glue that comes in stick form a bit like lipstick).

How did you use holes to make a LE vent on prototypes? Do you have pictures? You and Jim are right that it creates lots of work and an alternative is interesting. Mind you, given the rumour mongers output, it's no work for me as I get my kites made in China [roll eyes].

Are you putting in a LE curve?

Thanks!

The 3M tape is harder to work with than normal seam tape, but it doesn't gum up needles. And, it forms a strong enough bond that I don't even sew across the face of the sail ... only the leading edge and a couple of other small areas.

As to leading edge holes, I grabbed my stainless steel ruler that has a small hole to hang it up with and went to town burning holes. Blow up the picture of the linear stack, a few posts above, and you'll see the result.

A leading edge curve? Most definitely ... that adds to the fun of sewing ... especially on a small kite.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jul 17 2009, 09:29 AM

I've built both with holes and mesh. In my limited experience I have found that holes don't work as well as mesh.
However, for a stack, I think holes are fine. My rev II-sized stack doesn't have holes or mesh and flies well in light winds.
For my holes I made a cardboard template that had several holes in it. I could cut several holes at a time, then slide the template over to match with the last hole and continue cutting. That kept the spacing even. I've made rhombus holes, rectangle holes and circular holes.

There's different tape out there. I haven't used the 3M no sew tape. In the U.S. I've ordered from Kitebuilder and got un-branded stuff that didn't gum up my machine. I've also used stuff from Hang-em High that did gum up my machine.

I've used cello tape, blue tape and what you call prit. I think it's what we call a glue stick. Blue tape is a week painters tape and comes off the easiest, but may not hold well enough for some applications. In those cases I used pieces of Scotch Tape (cello tape) in which I folded over a little tab. That made it easier to get the tape off. If you don't mind leaving the tape on the finished kite, the Kitebuilder tape works the best for me and is easiest. The problem with the tape on the vented Rev mesh panels is that it picks up a lot of sand. It is tons easier to sew that way though.

By the way, I haven't flown a Chinese kite yet, but I hear they are of a much higher quality than they used to be. It might force Rev to change their business model--but that's a topic for another thread. (and the Chinese are only selling one model: non-vented, one set of spars)

Sailor99

Postby Sailor99 » Fri, Jul 17 2009, 02:20 PM

Just to be totally clear for third parties, I havn't flown a Chinese kite either. However the Chinese people I met in Qingdao last week were facinated by my genuine rev, especially when it flew in the sea.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Jul 17 2009, 03:46 PM

Sailor99 wrote:Just to be totally clear for third parties, I havn't flown a Chinese kite either. However the Chinese people I met in Qingdao last week were facinated by my genuine rev, especially when it flew in the sea.

Just imagine if you had meant to fly it there! :wink:
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Jul 17 2009, 06:14 PM

Took the stack out this afternoon for a maiden flight ... I really like the way it flys!!!! It still has lots of speed, but seems a little easier to control than the linear stack. Can't wait until next week end to try it alongside of Mike's progressive stack. Looking forward to seeing if it needs any fine tuning. The winds were about 15 to 25 mph this afternoon ... no more manufacturing wrinkles. Couldn't believe how it pulled me around. Shortened up my top pigtail about two inches more than I normally use, but it still had a lot of pull. Everything stayed together ... the rods had me a little worried, but no breakage.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jul 18 2009, 07:35 AM

I can't wait to try it.
It needs an IKE logo on the black center though. :)

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Jul 26 2009, 05:18 PM

Had a great time at the club fly Saturday. As usual, I made a pest of myself trying to get everyone to fly my latest creation. Here are a couple of pictures of the Half-Pint progressive alongside of Revolution's standard progressive. Getting a picture of a stack in the air is not easy ... for good spacing, the stack needs to keep moving. Getting a picture of two stacks in the air seems about four times as hard. Thanks to Nick and Big Mike, I was able to get a few good ones. Enjoy ...

Image Image
Last edited by Jeepster on Sun, Jul 26 2009, 05:22 PM, edited 4 times in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 26 2009, 09:48 PM

Cool. The half pint stack flew really well, I could even do reverse circles with it.

Return to “Sewing”