Pre-order Windows 7 - Get Discount

Talk about anything you want
Jeff

Pre-order Windows 7 - Get Discount

Postby Jeff » Fri, Jun 26 2009, 02:50 PM

Just an FYI...

If you know you're going to want to upgrade a PC to Windows 7 when it officially launches on October 22, you can pre-order now and get a discount.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/windows7"]Image[/url]

*Limit 3 per customer, through July 11, while supplies last.
Last edited by Jeff on Fri, Jun 26 2009, 03:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Re: Pre-order Windows 7 - Get Discount

Postby Mike » Fri, Jun 26 2009, 07:19 PM

Not for me. I've gone over to the dark side, and much to my surprise, I'm happy in the Mac world.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Jun 26 2009, 08:31 PM

Now now, this isn't a Mac PC holy war thread. ;-)

Info for those of us happy in the PC world. :P

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jun 26 2009, 09:07 PM

Yeah, yeah, nothing worse than a born-again Apple user. :-D
I started with an Apple back in 1979, did PCs and Macs. There were several bad Macs for a while, gave those away. But I like 'em now. Everyone else in the family still uses PCs so I guess were a multicultural family.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Jun 26 2009, 09:17 PM

I have at least 1 of each...

you could say I'm bi-computable...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, Jun 27 2009, 01:43 AM

Babbman wrote:I have at least 1 of each...

you could say I'm bi-computable...

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jul 04 2009, 11:39 AM

"We make a point of listening to our customers," according to Microsoft. "We created the OMGIGP video as a tongue-in-cheek look at the InPrivate Browsing feature of Internet Explorer 8, using the same irreverent humor that our customers told us they liked about other components of the Internet Explorer 8 marketing campaign. While much of the feedback to this particular piece of creative was positive, some of our customers found it offensive, so we have removed it."

You have been warned. Note the title of the video. Do not watch this not-so-classy ad if you have a weak stomach.
[youtube]xB9fhjnJcB0[/youtube]

What was Microsoft thinking?
And please, I know there's a lot of gross stuff out there on You Tube, but don't post the links.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Jul 04 2009, 01:13 PM

I think that probably needs its own thread since it's really got nothing to do with Windows 7.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb.

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jul 04 2009, 01:50 PM

very SNL-ish... and clever...lol

both OS's have their place and their following. Unfortunately, it seems like 'apple-fan-boys' are rather ridiculously biased on their platform and see nothing good about the pc world.

It's unfortunate...

But is is rather funny that you can take a PC and run the Apple OS on it, but not really visa-versa... oh yes, they have their bootcamp stuff... but it's not the same...

I just said screw it all and took my perfectly powerful PC and with a reboot, I turn it into a perfectly powerful MAC...

lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jul 04 2009, 06:37 PM

Sorry Jeff, I conflated the new Windows and the new Browser. They are actually different things.
And to be clear, I'm not a Apple fan-boy. There are pusses and minuses to both systems.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jul 04 2009, 07:05 PM

Ok, to further hijack this thread, and in the interest of fairness...
Here's a dumb Apple commercial.

The new iPhone can do some pretty incredible things... cut and paste! Oooooh!
http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads ... aste-large

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jul 04 2009, 08:09 PM

Mike wrote:Sorry Jeff, I conflated the new Windows and the new Browser. They are actually different things.
And to be clear, I'm not a Apple fan-boy. There are pusses and minuses to both systems.

LOL!!!... you got that right (read closely what you wrote)...lol

Wasn't calling you an apple fan boy by any means... you have never dissed a PC as far as I know...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jul 04 2009, 08:31 PM

Mike wrote:Ok, to further hijack this thread, and in the interest of fairness...
Here's a dumb Apple commercial.

The new iPhone can do some pretty incredible things... cut and paste! Oooooh!
http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads ... aste-large

I got one the day they were released... this time I didn't stand in any lines... I just preordered it and let them deliver it.

I got it at 1pm. Tried to activate it and it told me it would take up to 48 hrs to make it so... A few hours later, I checked and still hadn't been activated.

I remember when I preordered, I couldn't make that work either until I went into my ATT account and removed the family messaging plan, placed the order and then added the plan back in. I thought maybe it had something to do with that. I called, it did got activated and I was done.

A few days later, I got a $30 itunes store credit for my 'troubles'. Nice gesture and appreciated!

Here's my take on all this stuff.

I am a fan of computers, all of them and any OS that let's me do something cool. My primary device is a PC for a huge number of reasons. Mostly though, because it's what we use at work and have no choice since all of our software and customers use PC's.

I LOVE Macs. I've actually used them since '87... the very 1st ones. That was actually custom programmed to interact with some drive systems for GM. The only time I've ever seen a Mac used in an industrial setting. I love being able to just reboot into a really smokingly fast Mac that's running on my PC hardware.... I use it for Video and music, both of which the Mac excels at.

I have an Apple TV box which I also LOVE to death. I hacked it to drop a 500 GB drive in it and I run some 'enhanced' software on it.

As for the iPhone... well let's just say that one of my biggest pet peeves is something that's advertised that it can do something that it can't. Or food that is pictured as juicy, appetizing and delicious but is anything BUT (WENDY'S, KFC, etc.). But I digress... I was a little disappointing that Apple advertised the 3G as being faster than it was, but that damn little device is so damn cool and useful, that I was willing to overlook it, and did.

My 3Gs though is exactly as advertised. In a comparison, it really is about %56 faster than the 3G. I know, I put the 2 side by side and did it. Plus, it's got much more RAM to work with and the video feature is great. The compass? I can do without it... But, It's really amazing and I really don't know how I could manage without it.

Jenny is very pleased with the 3G. She had no internet available at her shop and this gave her a way to get it. And thanks Jeff... I can't even get her attention cause she's playing Drop 7 endlessly...lol...

I am 100% an iPhone fan-boy... you can have your crackberry's and Win Mobile devices... they just aren't cool...

lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Sun, Jul 05 2009, 12:58 AM

LOL... well... this may get my login rights pulled... but I us linux on most of the computers... this one is still windows but all the rest are PIII or older so I use linux OS... upside: its free downside: its geeky, so is a pain to get dialed in to a specific machine..

I would love to get a mac for the art I want to do... the PC is great in its own right... the linux is small and fast so it makes my old PCs seem new again... (usualy) :|

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 05 2009, 08:06 AM

This thread is totally hijacked now!

I played with linux for a while, but it required too much hands on work to keep it going and updated. I've gotten old and lazy :)
I was a slow conversion from DOS to Windows. I kept a DOS window open in my windows machine for the longest time, but once I did finally convert, I don't want to go back. Linux is too close to DOS. There's the windows-like overlay, but you still have to play with geeky bits too much.
The Mac strikes a balance for me. There's a linux underpinning to play with if I want, but there's the easy OS X interface on top that I actually use.
(I've been back to the mac for less than year)

Geek Background: The first programs I wrote were on a teletype with hole-punched-paper tape as a recording medium. That was in 8th grade. I actually programmed the Apple II for a living (anyone have an Echo II speech synthesizer?), then played with the first Mac for a while (in Pascal! Remember Pascal?) , then programmed PCs for many years. I've owned Apple ]['s, ][C, original Mac (sold Lisa's at a computer store for a short while--who knows what a Lisa is?), tons of PCs, a few Macbooks here and there, built my own PCs too. Let's see...owned and wrote programs for the original Palm Pilot too. Even did some hacking with Lego Mindstorms and a Palm pilot together. :)

Now? Now I fly kites :-D

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Jul 05 2009, 05:26 PM

I know about everything you talked about... Even Lisa...

lol

I programmed on punch tape too... good lord, I feel old..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 05 2009, 09:22 PM

Just found this bit of my computing history.

Return to “Not Kites”