Lindsey Johnson making his wooden winders

Links to videos of anything kite related.
Mike

Lindsey Johnson making his wooden winders

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 24 2009, 01:13 PM

Here's a video of Lindsey making his very nice winders.
I'm sure Jeepster will have some safety tips for Lindsey :P

[youtube]viq2cUdZW-c[/youtube]

Sailor99

Re: Lindsey Johnson Making His Wooden Winders

Postby Sailor99 » Wed, Jun 24 2009, 11:34 PM

These winders are commercially available in the US; right? How is it they are better for carrying more line sets than a plastic winder when they are much larger?

Mike

Re: Lindsey Johnson making his wooden winders

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 25 2009, 08:38 AM

His market is the SLK guys.
He's suggesting, correctly, that his winders take less space than the hoop winder that many SLK folks use here in the US.

Plus, they look nice.
If he made them in the same size as the LaserPro winders and engraved our club logo on them... hmmmm, maybe I should talk to him. Would anyone want to spend $20 on a winder like that?

Jeepster

Re: Lindsey Johnson Making His Wooden Winders

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Jun 25 2009, 10:55 AM

Mike wrote: ... I'm sure Jeepster will have some safety tips for Lindsey ...

Actually, his operation looks typical for a good wood working shop. Good dust control on all the equipment, HVLP spray equipment, protective gloves, etc. How close he allows his fingers to get to the exposed router bit is another thing ... maybe he removed the guard for filming ... can hope so.

Those look like 3/4 inch thick plywood winders. That strength is probably needed for SLKs ... it's easy to build up tremendous pressure with many, many low pressure wraps. The circle winders are an ideal design for resisting breakage. For our use, 3/4 inch plywood is overkill. Even Charlies winders (sold by Cory Jenson) are overkill ... I think they're at least something like 1/2 oak. Plus, Charlies winders are the wrong shape for us ... they're also better for SLKs. The ones I've been using are 1/4 inch oak and have lasted a year now without any breakage. I thought the tips would cause some problems, but so far not. Unfortunately they took about two hours apiece to make ... didn't have the correct router bits at the time, so there was a lot of hand work.

Also, the shape is wrong for getting the line on and off easily ... okay for a single line kite, but not for us. Take a LaserPro winder as the pattern, and then, stretch it out so that it's longer and narrower ... more line per wrap. Change the angle of the throat to allow the line to slip off a little easier. Then make it out of 1/4 inch material ... plywood would be ok, but oak is classy. Then it'd be a great deal for $20.

Mike, you have a yellow winder in your kite bag with 120 foot line on it ... you loaned it to me one day. That is probably the best commercial winder I've seen.

Thanks for the video, Mike.
Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Videos”