180GO! Fan T-Shirt help

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Mike

180GO! Fan T-Shirt help

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:34 PM

I've been asked by lots o' folks for a 180GO! t-shirt.
So, here's a rough draft. Hopefully it will inspire improvements or a whole new design from someone...

Ideally, it should work on a red shirt.
It should probably also include the IKE logo.

I don't know if it will be screen-printed or via Zazzle. Depends on the number of colors.

prairierose

Re: 180GO! Fan T-Shirt Help

Postby prairierose » Mon, Jun 22 2009, 04:35 PM

It's a little busy, maybe if the ike logo was in the bar before or after "fan club"?
I love the kite fan though!

Or maybe if the fan was over "fan" and the club logo over "club"?

Babbman

Re: 180GO! Fan T-Shirt help

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 22 2009, 05:06 PM

I think shirts with built in FANS would be a good idea...lol, especially after yesterday!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, Jun 22 2009, 05:53 PM

Personally I think the words "Fan Club" distract from the 180GO/IKE logos. It's the first thing your eyes catch... and that's not the intention of the shirt.

I think the fanned Revs are cool... but anyone who wears ANY club shirt automatically is a "fan" just by wearing one... right?

If "Fan Club" was printed much smaller, above or beneath the rev fans, keeping the 180GO and IKE logos as the main focus, I think it would serve a better purpose.

(ie; I wouldn't buy a "Harley Davidson Fan Club" shirt)

Just my two cents!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Mon, Jun 22 2009, 05:59 PM

They all look good to me but maybe the kites should be blue! LOL :rotfl

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Mon, Jun 22 2009, 06:16 PM

Mike wrote:I've been asked by lots o' folks for a 180GO! t-shirt.
So, here's a rough draft. Hopefully it will inspire improvements or a whole new design from someone...

Ideally, it should work on a red shirt.
It should probably also include the IKE logo.

I don't know if it will be screen-printed or via Zazzle. Depends on the number of colors.

I know I am the newb... so for what my opinion is worth....

try the 180 go in black but leave the kite/exclamation mark red with white border

keep the fan of kites... and the ike logo (I like the Ike logo hanging off the (Fan Club) box but I think you should down play fan club and maybe change it to roady or groopy.. (not sure on spelling) or something fun like that...

the ike logo on the sleeve is probably too much $

:sorry:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 22 2009, 08:24 PM

backdraft wrote:They all look good to me but maybe the kites should be blue! LOL :rotfl

yup, light blue...

lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jun 22 2009, 08:39 PM

Jynx wrote:Personally I think the words "Fan Club" distract from the 180GO/IKE logos. It's the first thing your eyes catch... and that's not the intention of the shirt.

Yeah, I think it's a bit busy looking as is.

How about we show a fan providing wind for our kites? Some days, we could use that. :-D
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 12:10 AM

Mike,

Great job. Overall shirt looks great. Quick concept to prototype! :thanks:

Could Rev kites be spread out a little more in the "fan"?

I also like Rose's sample with the IKE logo within the Fan Club block. Is another alternative to put it on a sleeve?

I'd like to see the Fan Club font changed to something like Berlin Sans FB Demi or Bodoni Poster Black or same as "GO". Maybe smaller per Jynx comment. URLs to font samples are below.

Bodoni Poster sample URL

Berlin Sans FB Demi

John

revkidChris

Postby revkidChris » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 01:01 AM

Hey, I havent posted on the forum for a while, but Dad pushed me to give feedback on the shirts, soo, here I am again. Anyway, I would agree saying that some parts of the shirt

are too busy, and as far as template design, I prefer the first image that Rose made, because the image of IKE and 180GO! has a geometric and kind of clean feeling, so the IKE

logo hanging off the end didn't seem to fit that theme. A rule of thumb that I learned in my design class is that when you have two objects, or two lines or text, is that the space

between the two should be equivalent to the size of the image/text on top. So if there is more room to work with on the shirt, it might be better to spread out the Fan Club + kites

and the 180GO! logo. Another things is that, Im not really sure what the purpose of this shirt is, more to promote the 180GO! team, or to promote IKE, if its the latter, we may want

to find a different way to incorporate the IKE logo into the shirt, otherwise, thats all I can think of right now. Id play around with it myself, but I dont actually have PS/InD/Illustrator.

Hope this helps a little bit,

Chris

EDIT: I forgot to address the issue of the text for the fan club logo. With the theme of the shirt as I stated above, it might be better to find a font for the fan club as something

Sans Serif, but not quite like the example my Dad gave, text similar to that used in the 180 GO! logo would be ideal, because at that point, when you look at the shirt, you're

trying to process the two different font types, why they're being used, along with the 180 GO! logo, the fanned kites, and the IKE logo, so using the same text makes things

simpler to someone looking at the shirt.
Last edited by revkidChris on Tue, Jun 23 2009, 01:04 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 07:16 AM

Personally I think the words "Fan Club" distract from the 180GO/IKE logos. It's the first thing your eyes catch... and that's not the intention of the shirt.

I felt the same way. If I take out the white box and just have the text "Fan Club" it helps.

I think the fanned Revs are cool... but anyone who wears ANY club shirt automatically is a "fan" just by wearing one... right?
There is concern by the team members that spectators wont be able to tell the team members from the fans, since the Tshirt is the only uniform the team wears. Not a problem with a Harley shirt, you don't think someone wearing a Harley shirt designed the bike. However, are you saying that "fan club" is deal-breaker for you? Would different wording work better?

the IKE logo on the sleeve is probably too much $

Putting the logo on the sleeve is possible if I have it screen printed. That would mean buying at least 50 shirts in hopefully the right sizes and then hoping to sell them all. I may wind up doing that anyway, since Cafe Press and Zazzle aren't good about red shirts.

Could Rev kites be spread out a little more in the "fan"?

I was hoping someone would take the fan concept and do a better job with graphics. I think the fan is a little weird too. The fan could be 4, 6 or 8 kites.
If we change "fan club" to something else, we could lose the fan entirely.

Id play around with it myself, but I dont actually have PS/InD/Illustrator.

Good feedback Chris...Hmmm, Dad? A good present for your budding graphic designer? The educational discount is pretty good....

Sailor99

Postby Sailor99 » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 08:03 AM

All the previous thoughts about it being too busy sum my thoughts too. I have to say I am with Jinx on the "fan club" issue, although I understand the concern from the team. There is something a little 'childish' about the term fan club to me - it reminds me of school girls (between the ages of fourteen and fourteen and a half) joining the Cliff Richard Fan Club. Of course it may just be a US/UK English thing.

Maybe a different phrase - "Ground crew" "Groupie" "Supporter". Or one could have all the logos on the back and the words on the front.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 09:00 AM

Mike wrote: ... There is concern by the team members that spectators wont be able to tell the team members from the fans, since the Tshirt is the only uniform the team wears. ....

There are the hats ...

And why is that a bad thing if the spectators struggle with who is a team member and who is not? No disrespect is intended towards those who have put in the practice and dedication towards distinguishing themselves in their flying skills. But, look at it from the festival organizer's viewpoint. If I subsidized bringing four individuals to a festival and then saw a sea of red shirts, I'd be thrilled ... paid for four and got a dozen. As a spectator, I'd also be impressed with the number of people in red shirts flying kites. My first thoughts would be that maybe I'm missing something fun and need to check it out. Wow, there are so many red shirts flying kites that maybe I can do this too!! Maybe I'll go talk to one of them flying off to the side by themselves. Actually, that's exactly what happened to me ... thanks for sucking me in Big Mike.

Trying to divide the group up into small segments is the wrong advertising for both IKE and 180GO!. They need to be visually supportive of each other for the mutual benefit of both groups.

Use the basic red IKE shirt and subtly add to it ... both for the 180GO! team shirts and for anything else ...

Regards,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 09:55 AM

I'm crazy about the feedback, keep it coming. If you'd rather not post on forum, send me an email.
Most of IKE are quad fliers. I'd like to meet the needs of SLKs and Dualies and Parafauna Droppers and Fighters Kiters, etc.
It wont happen unless I hear from you though...

Jeepster's idea was my original idea for the team. I though we might have a Rok battle group, SLK group, etc
However, it seems that the 180GO! members have been doing most all of that stuff, so breaking into smaller groups doesn't seem make sense any longer. It may not serve the club well either.

I would like the 180GO! shirts to be red, and next year I think they will be. Maybe with an IKE on the sleeve. There are still festivals where 180GO! are pretty much the only IKE members there, but that may still change.

The club, the team--all of this--is an evolving concept.

Even though we wont be able to make everyone happy, like Mr. Rogers, it's still a worthwhile goal to have everyone to feel included. Lets have some more feedback!

Club feedback, shirts feedback, etc.

(note for UK readers: Mr. Rogers was a kids show with worn out old puppets that was on for many years. My kids loved the show. He was a minister but religion never come up on his show. When asked why, he said it was because that would exclude some kids and he would never do that.)

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 02:30 PM

If the concern is not to confuse the public on team vs club member than make the IKE logo bigger and the 180GO logo smaller... (not way smaller)

if it is promotional then (ikeclub.org) should be on their some were....

maybe the (fan club) needs to be the fan of kites and a cave man club :lol:

well my years in art have taught me... K.I.S.S. Keep it simple, silly....

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 08:48 PM

I don't care for the term 'Fan Club' either.

I personally don't think there is going to be all that much confusion this year with the team shirts being black.

I'm ALL for keeping things simple and to the point.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 11:25 PM

Babbman wrote:I don't care for the term 'Fan Club' either.

I agree...

I guess the question is... How many people wish to buy and wear a 'Fan Club' shirt? It would be interesting to hear from potential buyers.

ie: To my knowledge, iQuad doesn't have 'Fan' shirts. All their merchandise indicates the iQuad team name, yet does not specify any fan club designation... yet obviously they have many fans! (Not to Say 180GO should imitate them or any other team). I think "fan" is understood when wearing merchandise with the team/club name on it. I'd rather see Tshirts for the actual 180GO Team indicated by "Team Member" in bold.

I think IKE members should be encouraged to submit graphic designs. Maybe even a contest.
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jun 23 2009, 11:38 PM

I agree with the comments about the "fan club." Personally, I wouldn't wear anything that said Fan Club on it.

I have some sports team and college shirts. Having the logo or name of what I'm supporting says enough, I think.

I don't really see the need to differentiate between "team" and "non-team" shirts the more I think about it. Maybe team members put their actual names on, as we have on the front. I don't have any issue with others wearing a "team shirt."
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Jun 24 2009, 12:13 AM

Jeff wrote:I agree with the comments about the "fan club." Personally, I wouldn't wear anything that said Fan Club on it.

I have some sports team and college shirts. Having the logo or name of what I'm supporting says enough, I think.

I don't really see the need to differentiate between "team" and "non-team" shirts the more I think about it. Maybe team members put their actual names on, as we have on the front. I don't have any issue with others wearing a "team shirt."

Hi Jeff ~ I disagree with "Team" shirts for everyone. I would love to pretend to be a 180GO team member BUT I believe that if shirts were printed "Team Member" they should be worn exculsively by Team Members. You guys (you too Rose), have worked (and played) hard to get where you are and should be recognized for that by that title. Nothing wrong with showing deserved rank. For the spectators, it would also designate who the actual team members are when not on the field (as you all look alike out there... sorry Rose!).

...and the fanned Revs are a really cool design, be nice to include them somehow.

I'll shut-up now!

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Wed, Jun 24 2009, 01:26 AM

There seems to be a consensus to eliminate the words fan club. I've attempted to give an example. I don't have the right tools, but I think it might look better with Ike on top, a "fan" of Revs slightly spread out and 180 Go logo underneath.

Having IKE on top might maker it easier to identity the kite relationship. The Revolution shape does not mean kite to most people (excluding dark-siders)

The overall graphics shape would be triangular. The "fan" can be the unspoken one. As long as the 180 shirts have the team members name and keep the circle logo for team members only, it should be easy to identify the true team members.

John

OK, I figured out how to show both ways
Last edited by RevJB on Wed, Jun 24 2009, 01:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Club Discussion”