New Member From Kankakee

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Darkspark

New Member From Kankakee

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Jun 14 2009, 11:35 AM

Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself, I have already met many of you at the Kankakee Perry Farm Fest, and also in Pontiac. Me and my wife have been flying kite for years as a hobby. Never been in any comps. I have become a Rev addict over the last couple years. I have yet to run across a fellow kiter other than at the festivals. Although we normally fly at a Park not marked on the map. My favorite place to fly in town is Limestone Township park on Tower road just off of RT 113. Large Wide open and very nicely maintained grass. It is a great place to fly. I will try to figure out how to mark it on the map. It is only a few miles from Perry farm and the wind is always much cleaner. Thanks to all the friendly people I have already met and I look forward to meeting more of you along the way. Mike & Shari Devereaux

Jeepster

Re: New Member From Kankakee

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Jun 14 2009, 11:42 AM

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum.

It's a little quiet this weekend since many are out in North Dakota. Do check the forum for next Saturday's club fly down in Champaign ... it'd be great if can make it.

Cheers,
Tom

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Sun, Jun 14 2009, 05:11 PM

Welcome to the club!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jun 14 2009, 09:07 PM

Howdy and welcome to the club!
We'll get your field marked on the map soon.

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Sun, Jun 14 2009, 09:10 PM

Welcome to IKE :welcome1:

Try and get to any festivals or club flys you can. My son (revkidChris) and I started flying Revs about 8 weeks ago.

We have learned a ton from the IKE/180Go members. They are extremely patient :thanks: and helpful with newcomers.

Also, if you don't have a vented kite yet, think about a vented B-series. (Then you'll know you are hooked!) You get two sets of spars and along with a std kite, you can handle any wind conditions.

Hope to see you at one of the flying fields.

John

kiteking

Postby kiteking » Sun, Jun 14 2009, 09:12 PM

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the group, would be great to meet you next Saturday at the club fly. Hope you cane make it
Wind to your back, Kite in the sky

MikeM
Brookings, OR
AKA# 110883

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Jun 14 2009, 09:47 PM

Thanks for all the Hello's and the nice words. Will see about Champaign, It is rare we get to fly with others. Besides the festival at perry farm. I just ordered a B-Series Vented and a rev II. I got a chance to fly one of you fellows B-series Vented in pontiac on the saturday of the festival. Loved it! I have a hard time with my standard 1.5 on days like that. And I am still a bit dangerous with my supersonic in high winds. It would be great to see the Limestone park on the map. I love Perry Farm, Grew up on the edge of it, it's just not the best place to fly in town. The soccer fields on the north side are great. They are on the map. Limestone is on the Other side of town. Thanks again and will try to meet up on sat. Mike

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 01:36 PM

Mike,
Limestone is now on the map.

Does it have bathrooms? Food nearby?

Hope to see you this weekend!

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 05:34 PM

Limestone Does have portapotties (SP?) And they are usually kept pretty clean. It also has a Wendy's, Boz hot dogs (great Italian beef) and a great Chinese resturant with a buffett. All up the street on Rt 17. As you can see on the map there are a few small trees around the perimeter and a single goal post on one side, but the best thing about the place is the openess. Other than a few new houses on the SE corner of the park, there is nothing to impede the wind for a long way off. Thanks and if anybody is interested in flying there send me a message, I am only a few minutes away and always ready to fly.---Mike

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 06:02 PM

Another MIKE :?:

This is getting confusing! :shock:

Anyhow... :welcome1: :revspin: :LogoRevAni: :revspin: !
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 06:51 PM

Mike,

Welcome to the club, I live and work in the Kankakee area and am familiar with the park you fly at. What times and days do you fly? I work days and could stop by on my way home to fly some time. We (the family and me) also fly in Kempton allot because it is just 4 miles South of our house.

Big Mike :revspin:

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 07:49 PM

I see what Jynx is talking about with the mike thing. If it helps most people call me Mikey. Because--Get this-- My dad's name is Mike also.
We go out and fly alot. Usually after 5:30 or so. Shari gets off at 5. But I am usually home earlier and would be happy to meet you out there earlier. I am usually back in town about 4 or a little after. I know its short notice but (weather permitting) I will be out there tomorrow. To try out a new kite, and to try out a custom set of handles I made today. Otherwise send me a message and I would be happy to meet you or anyone else wanting to fly. Mike

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 07:51 PM

Jynx wrote:Another MIKE :?:
This is getting confusing! :shock:]

It's actually less confusing. Just call any guy Mike and you've got a decent chance of being correct.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 07:55 PM

Maybe we'll try a club fly there in July. Kankakee is in between Chicago and Champaign/Decatur and isn't a bad location.
By the way, because we are so spread out, most folks have to drive a couple hours for a club fly or a festival. That's why we spend the whole day flying when we do.

I think Tom P. flies at that park too on occasion.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 07:59 PM

Makes sense. When I first met alot of you at perry farm I thought it was strange That there was 5 or 6 people named IKE. And all of you were so proud of it you put it in huge letters on your shirts. Then after calling someone IKE they cleared it up for me. :-D

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, Jun 17 2009, 09:52 PM

We met up with Mike & Shari today at Limestone park, it is a great place to fly and we had a great time with Mike & Shari.

Big Mike

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Jun 17 2009, 10:00 PM

Darkspark wrote:Makes sense. When I first met alot of you at perry farm I thought it was strange That there was 5 or 6 people named IKE. And all of you were so proud of it you put it in huge letters on your shirts. Then after calling someone IKE they cleared it up for me. :-D

:up:

:rotfl
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Jun 17 2009, 10:31 PM

We had a blast too! Shari Has a new favorite toy. She is very excited about her new revII. If the weather looks like it will be good, We will probably be down in Champaign to meet some more of you. Should be fun!--Mikey

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Jun 18 2009, 12:49 AM

Welcome Aboard Mikey. Glad to have you here.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Pkrekel

Postby Pkrekel » Thu, Jun 18 2009, 07:39 AM

Hope to see you and Shari this Saturday. If I have the right couple, tell Shari that I will have my Micron Stack there so she can fly it!!!

Paul

Return to “Introductions”