Sail Paint Question

Looking for information on fabric and framework? Discuss it here.
User avatar
Darkspark
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun, Jun 14 2009, 11:13 AM
Location: kankakee Ill

Sail Paint Question

Postby Darkspark » Mon, Jun 15 2009, 10:18 PM

Hello, I have been wanting to try my hand in the kitemaking bit of this hobby, but really have no knowledge about it other than how to use a sewing machine. And the wealth of info I have sorted through on the old interwebs. The idea :idea: I cant seem to get out of my head is a sail for my 1.5 rev. What my question is; is Will the paint on kite studio's web site work over primary colors or is it only good over white cloth? And is the paint even viable to use on a rev style kite? I want to do a basic sail with a simple character painted over the top of the whole thing. Thanks in advance, Mike

User avatar
Jynx
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat, Sep 13 2008, 06:55 PM
Location: West Allis (Milwaukee) Wisconsin

Re: Sail Paint Question

Postby Jynx » Mon, Jun 15 2009, 11:40 PM

Darkspark wrote:Hello, I have been wanting to try my hand in the kitemaking bit of this hobby, but really have no knowledge about it other than how to use a sewing machine. And the wealth of info I have sorted through on the old interwebs. The idea :idea: I cant seem to get out of my head is a sail for my 1.5 rev. What my question is; is Will the paint on kite studio's web site work over primary colors or is it only good over white cloth? And is the paint even viable to use on a rev style kite? I want to do a basic sail with a simple character painted over the top of the whole thing. Thanks in advance, Mike

Design Master paints work like a stained glass paint over any color... they are semi-translucent therefore (ie) if you paint yellow over blue rip-stop you'll get green (in the air with the sun shinning through). Painting over white will give you a clean slate to create clean or blended colors.
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

User avatar
BillLamm
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue, Apr 14 2009, 11:51 PM

Re: Sail Paint Question

Postby BillLamm » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 12:07 AM

Interesting... but what about brush on... I would love to paint kite sails (need to start drawing again first) I would have to learn tagging as an art form if its only spray on...

I could see it now (this kite tagged by Bill)
Last edited by BillLamm on Tue, Jun 16 2009, 12:07 AM, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 6674
Joined: Sun, Oct 29 2006, 05:03 PM
Location: Charleston, IL

Re: Sail Paint Question

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 01:43 PM

You can get an all white sail from Rev, contact David at Chicago kite (link at the top of this page).
I've only seen spray painted revs. See Bazzers designs which are a mix of applique and spray paint: http://www.gluedtotheblue.com/rev.html

User avatar
BillLamm
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue, Apr 14 2009, 11:51 PM

Re: Sail Paint Question

Postby BillLamm » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 05:17 PM

Mike wrote:You can get an all white sail from Rev, contact David at Chicago kite (link at the top of this page).
I've only seen spray painted revs. See Bazzers designs which are a mix of applique and spray paint: http://www.gluedtotheblue.com/rev.html


Yeah... thats the way I ould like to do it.. but I didn't win the lotto yet :|

cool link, thank you 8)
Last edited by BillLamm on Tue, Jun 16 2009, 05:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Darkspark
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun, Jun 14 2009, 11:13 AM
Location: kankakee Ill

Re: Sail Paint Question

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 05:54 PM

Great info, thanks! Now for the Stupid question---What is applique? And do you have to be French to do it. :-D :-D I have been involved in the RC hobby for years so I am familiar with spraying and airbrushing lexan, Can the sail be masked in a similar manner? And does it affect the flying charactaristics I really want to make a Red Bull Rev. I alone have Kept thier Formula 1 team running with all I drink, And I also am trying to put a collection of misc Red Bull odds and ends together. My coolest thing is a skid plate off a desert racer truck. And a red bull rev would be fabulous on the wall next to it when its not flying. Sorry I tend to ramble. Thanks again for the help. Mike

User avatar
Jynx
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat, Sep 13 2008, 06:55 PM
Location: West Allis (Milwaukee) Wisconsin

Re: Sail Paint Question

Postby Jynx » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 05:57 PM

Darkspark wrote:Great info, thanks! Now for the Stupid question---What is applique? And do you have to be French to do it. :-D :-D


An applique is a piece of material (rip-stop, or whatever) that is cut into a design then sewn onto the kite. Usually the backing material (the actual kite material behind the applique) is then cut away.
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 6674
Joined: Sun, Oct 29 2006, 05:03 PM
Location: Charleston, IL

Re: Sail Paint Question

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 08:05 PM

Jeepster does the RC thing and may be able to translate, but I don't see why you can't mask on a kite and paint it.
Penny Lingenfelter flies an indoor Rev that has been painted, so the paint must not affect the kite much.
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... f23347.jpg


Return to “Fabric, Spars and Fittings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest