Newb

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Chris

Re: Newb

Postby Chris » Fri, May 29 2009, 05:55 AM

Jeff wrote:So never keep checking, it's just a matter of building our membership further.

You may want to proofread your post, Jeff... :shock:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Fri, May 29 2009, 07:54 AM

"Anyway, if you are interested, ask some more questions or just show up somewhere we are and have a go with one of our revs... they are like crack..."

THAT is what I'm afraid of.... :wink:

-C

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, May 29 2009, 09:16 AM

Chris wrote:
Jeff wrote:So never keep checking, it's just a matter of building our membership further.

You may want to proofread your post, Jeff... :shock:

Heh...Oops. :-D

Mixed my thoughts...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Sat, May 30 2009, 05:58 PM

I got my kite back in April (early). I watched videos and read forums and decided to wait until I could get a lesson, and man I was glad I did. Intimidated the heck out of me, I don't mind saying. I had my lesson last weekend. Even with light to no wind I felt nervous, but the rush was totally worth overcoming the nerves.

So I've been wanting to fly again ever since (yes, whole week, I know, what deprivation), but I was really apprehensive about flying solo, especially since I wasn't able to relaunch on my own that first day. But I decided that I just didn't want to wait, and since I'll never get better if I don't actually go out and FLY the darned thing, I hit the maps and checked out the spots. The wind down by the lake seemed a little strong, so I drove out to Vernon Hills (thank you IKE!!!!). I had the best hour I've had in ages! :-D

It took me a little while to figure out that I'd managed to tangle the heck out of the lines when I wrapped the kite up last weekend, but once I got that figured out, I not only got my kite in the sky, but kept it there. I did figure eights and swoops and loops and only crashed TWICE! AND I managed to relaunch immediately after both crashes!

The wind was iffy, and never got very strong, but it was enough for me to keep flying for just over an hour. My arms are shaky, my legs are quivery, and I haven't stopped smiling since.

:thanks:

The fact that there are so many of you guys out there kiting, and that you were all so positive about it, got me motivated and out there to try it again. I can't thank you guys enough.

I can't wait to do it again. I was especially proud of the fact that I managed to lightly bring my kite to earth right next to my bag when I was done. That was really the only time I missed having other people around - I jumped around and screamed like a fool. *grin* It was awesome!

Is it always like that? And can anyone suggest some good ways to know what direction the wind is blowing from? That was the hardest part (once I got the kite up) - keeping my back to the wind so the kite wouldn't fall.

(best part is that I feel 20 again... quite an accomplishment :wink: )

-C

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, May 30 2009, 07:43 PM

I feel the wind on my ears and face. If it's blowing more one side than the other, than I turn.

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Sat, May 30 2009, 10:09 PM

Hmm... if braid my hair up and use a ball cap to keep the strays out of my ears, that might work. Thanks for the advice.

I'm hoping that, as I get better with the whole not-crashing-the-kite thing, I'll get better at noticing things other than the kite. The direction the wind was blowing today, I could have used the big American flag that's up on one end of the field up there in Vernon Hills, but I didn't think of that until a little while ago. And I spent 99% of my time staring up in the sky watching my kite, so I probably wouldn't have been able to pay it much attention anyway. *grin*

-C

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, May 30 2009, 10:23 PM

dude, you are so hosed...lol

here's what will happen...

you will be sitting at work and notice the leaves rustling and wish you weren't at work any more

You will start watching the trees to see if there is enough wind to fly. The slightest stir will make your heart beat a little faster

When you REALLY want to fly, you will have no wind.

When you can't fly, it will be perfect.

Some days, you will hit the time and wind thing perfect... not even a bout of severe cramps will wipe the smile off your face.

You will find and notice every flag you drive by or is in your area.

You will figure out very quickly where the wind is blowing and where you can fly depending on it's direction. I have 3 different places I can fly but all are dependant on the direction. IMSA for all but West Winds. The firehouse at Orchard and Illinois for south winds. The school behind my house for winds from the northeast.

You will figure out a way to fly on your lunch hour, if you get one.

You will find a way to sneak in even 1/2 hr of flying after work or after dinner.

and that's just the start of it...

Windblown hair and a smile will tell anyone who knows you, what you just got done doing.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, May 30 2009, 10:43 PM

catspaw00 wrote:
It took me a little while to figure out that I'd managed to tangle the heck out of the lines when I wrapped the kite up last weekend, but once I got that figured out,

-C

When I started, I'd spend more time laying my lines out and untangling them than I did flying. I knew I had to fix that one.

I read a post on the Rev forum from Monkeyboy, I believe about winding lines... I take no credit for the method but can verify that it works each and every time for me. Never a tangle or twisted mess... less than 5 mins from arrival to being in the air...

For my quad line kites...

I never remove the handles from the line set. When I put my stuff away, I disconnect from the kite, larkshead the top and bottom of each side together, hang them on my winder, stick a finger between the pairs and just wind them around the winder. I don't figure 8 them, just a straight wind.

When I get to the handles, I just lay them together and get them around the winder best I can and use the bungee to hold it all together.

For laying them out, I just stake the handles down and unwind, connect the kite, go back to the handles, pick them up and untwist each handle till the lines are clear and I'm up.

This takes some practice to see the way the twists are laying but really, never more than one or two in each pair. With some tension in the lines, they are very easy to clear.

One note on this... I am left handed and use crazy 8 winders. They have a logo on one side of the winder which I always face up for winding and unwinding. When I wind, the winder is in my left hand and I wrap the lines with my right hand.

For unwinding, the logo up on the winder, the winder in my left hand and I unwind with my right hand.

Works every single time.

On my power kites though, I parapack. I leave all the lines connected, make sure the kite is landed without any twists in the line, and unstake the handles so they are just lying on the ground. I walk to the kite, fold it up as nice as I can and leave the lines coming out from the bottom of the kite.

I stick the kite in it's bag and push my hand into the center of the bottom of the kite and make a good sized opening. Then, I grab a handful of line and just stuff it in the opening I made. I keep doing this till the handles are all that's remaining. I wrap a few times around the handles and then stuff them into the opening and I'm done.

To setup, I leave the kite in it's bag, stake the handles and just walk till the kite pops out of the bag. Unfold the kite, shake it out and walk back to the handles and untwist anything that's twisted.

This way looks REALLY messy and it feels like you are making a rats nest but it was surprising to me how well it worked and I've never ever had an issue or a tangled mess... And best of all, it's FAST. only a couple of minutes to setup and get flying...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jun 01 2009, 03:02 PM

catspaw00 wrote:...I hit the maps and checked out the spots. The wind down by the lake seemed a little strong, so I drove out to Vernon Hills (thank you IKE!!!!). I had the best hour I've had in ages! :-D

I'm glad that spot worked out for you. I used to fly there a bit when I worked in that area. Lots of open field space there. Those sports complexes are pretty nice for flying. So many soccer leagues, they leave nice open areas for us when they're not playing. :)

IKE is on Image too!

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Wed, Jun 03 2009, 07:18 AM

Jeff wrote:I'm glad that spot worked out for you. I used to fly there a bit when I worked in that area. Lots of open field space there. Those sports complexes are pretty nice for flying. So many soccer leagues, they leave nice open areas for us when they're not playing. :)

I've never been opposed to soccer, but I've never been a particular fan, either. Now I find myself advocating soccer... and most especially those lovely, empty soccer fields. *grin*

I'm heading to Michigan tomorrow for vacation (visiting family), and I've got my mother and grandmother scoping out flying areas. I know I can go down to the lakefront and fly at the beaches, but it's always good to have a backup plan. ;)

Hope Naperville is fantastic. I can't wait to go to an event... looks like the next one I'm around for is Oshkosh. Any of you guys planning on being at that one?

-C

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Jun 03 2009, 09:56 AM

catspaw00 wrote:Hope Naperville is fantastic. I can't wait to go to an event... looks like the next one I'm around for is Oshkosh. Any of you guys planning on being at that one?

-C

I don't think any of our members have gone to that one before, I'm not entirely sure.

The problem is, it's kind of far for most, and it's not long after a run of spring festivals. I know that I'm using up my allotted time away from the family in the spring. Just can't get away again.

I put it in the list because it's a regional fest...maybe someone reading here could benefit by knowing about it, but I think our regular members are mostly from too far away to add this one in.

I'd really like to go to that one some time though...

IKE is on Image too!

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Mon, Jun 08 2009, 06:06 PM

Hi all,

I am currently vacationing in Michigan, visiting family, and I took the opportunity to go to the beach here in Muskegon and fly my kite - and all I can say is... OMG.

BIG difference, flying it in 15-20mph winds, instead of the wussy little 10-15mph winds I've been flying it in. I am soooooo hooked.

:mrblue:

-C

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Mon, Jun 08 2009, 09:14 PM

Take a drive to Grand Haven and check the state park beach. It's awesome.

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Tue, Jun 09 2009, 07:56 PM

TeamTrejo wrote:Take a drive to Grand Haven and check the state park beach. It's awesome.

Thanks for the tip. :) Mom said the same thing. I haven't been down there in years, so I'm trying to talk my parents into making day of it. If I don't make it this time, though, I'll definitely hit it next time.

-C

Return to “Introductions”