Newb

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
catspaw00

Newb

Postby catspaw00 » Tue, May 26 2009, 01:00 PM

New to kiting, new to the forum. Got a shiny new power kite that I've taken out once, and I'm trying to figure out where to fly that isn't going to take hours to get to (I'm near Northwestern).

Flew my kite for the first time over the weekend, and it was AWESOME. Fantastic experience, and I can't wait to get it up in the air again.

-C

Jeff

Re: Newb

Postby Jeff » Tue, May 26 2009, 01:34 PM

Welcome to the forum.

We'll have a lot of people from this club at events the next 2 weeks. This weekend is pretty far, Pontiac, IL.

Next weekend, not quite as far, Naperville. It's totally worth it to get out to an event where there's lots of other kiters to interact with. If at all possible, I'd recommend trying to come out to fly there during this fest.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Tue, May 26 2009, 02:48 PM

Welcome!

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, May 26 2009, 02:58 PM

Welcome

There is a gret beach called lunt off of sheridan road big wide beach .I fly there and so does a good group of people.
thanks
David

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, May 26 2009, 03:15 PM

Welcome!

I love power kites.. I fly Ozones...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Tue, May 26 2009, 04:53 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome. :thanks:

I'm flying (well, attempting at this point, but someday...) an HQ Rush III Pro 350 3.5m kitesurfing trainer. Eventually (meaning next year) I want to take up kite surfing, but I decided to start out with just the kite part, and man am I glad I did. Kiting is definitely a sport that takes a lot of attention, and I need a lot of practice before I'm ready to do anything else while flying. You know, like chewing gum, or breathing. *grin*

I'm really excited about learning to fly this bad boy.... I had a load of fun trying it out last weekend (despite the many crashes), and the power of the kite... woof. What a rush. Absolutely fantastic. I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm addicted.

I'm hoping the wind will be right on Saturday this week - David, do you all normally plan something at Lunt, or is it just a "everybody show up and we'll see you if we see you" kind of thing?

-C

P.S. - I can't get to Pontiac this weekend, though I'd love to (got plans on Sunday that require me to be up and mobile by 6:00 am), and I'm out of town the following weekend. :( But I'm keeping my options open for the rest of the summer...
Last edited by catspaw00 on Tue, May 26 2009, 04:55 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 26 2009, 05:03 PM

Let me add my welcome to the forum:
Welcome!

The local festivals sometimes don't have insurance coverage for power kites, it's usually dual line and quad sport kites, giant kites and art kites.
You might want to check out one of these other aspects of the kiting scene too, they are also cool!

David of Chicago Kite is your best connection for power kiting in your area. Click on his logo at the top right of this screen for contact info.

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Tue, May 26 2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks, Mike. Good info to know - especially since I'm still new enough to have serious kite-control issues. :shock: Just call me Crash. *sigh & grin*

I already dropped David an e-mail. No moss growing on this stone. ;)

I'm almost afraid to check out any other kite types - who knows where that could take me....... :revspin:

:P

-C

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, May 26 2009, 09:57 PM

catspaw00 wrote:Hi all,

I'm flying (well, attempting at this point, but someday...) an HQ Rush III Pro 350 3.5m kitesurfing trainer. .

I fly an Ozone 3M Riot. Way more than enough power for me and I've been thrown around pretty well with that thing in just some tame winds...

here's a couple of videos of Chris flying it back in 2006..

[youtube]JihLduMpXS0[/youtube]

[youtube]qyh137ArJqY[/youtube]

[youtube]sbLTmCZWZ38[/youtube]

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, May 26 2009, 11:45 PM

:welcome1:
I'm a relative newbie too. I've found the IKE forum as well as the IKE kiters, not only extremely helpful but the nicest bunch of guys and gals you'll ever meet. I guarantee when you first meet them, you'll feel like you've known them forever. But I guess that's a kiters thing all around!

Welcome!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, May 27 2009, 05:16 AM

Wecome to the Forum,

Both of my sons (Nick 17andZack 13) and I enjoy power kiting along with all other types of kiting. We have a 3.2M, 5M and a rev 2-4 we use for power kiting and buggieing.

Big Mike

Anne

Postby Anne » Wed, May 27 2009, 11:43 AM

Hello and Welcome to the Forum. I am the Mrs to Big Mike. :D :welcome1:

I have flown one of the ones Big Mike mentioned. Though I haven't tried the buggy yet. I fly Revs or at least try to. LOL.

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Wed, May 27 2009, 02:52 PM

Welcome!!! yup i started wtih single lines and IKE has helped me see the way to dual and quads... Now if I could just fly them :lol:

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, May 28 2009, 12:16 AM

Welcome Aboard C. 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Thu, May 28 2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the warm welcomes - this is great. :) Hi to all of you!

I'm really excited about flying again. I know that a lot of folks will be out in Pontiac for the festival - is anybody going to be flying locally (meaning Cook or Lake Co)? Any suggestions on where I could go to fly that I won't get arrested or fined or whatever?

Babbman, I LOVE the videos. *grin* I aspire...

Thanks to all of you,

-C

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, May 28 2009, 11:03 AM

I don't know of anybody that will be flying in the area. Hopefully we can grow to include more members in your area. With enough people getting connected we could arrange more frequent local club flys. So never keep checking, it's just a matter of building our membership further. We'll try to reach as many people as we can, both directly on this forum, and through the club Facebook that we started recently.

For flying nearby, you might try Lunt beach, as Dave mentioned. I guess there are some flyers that go there occasionally. I've only been there once, a couple summers ago, and it's a nice place to fly, although I didn't see any other kiters.

If you click the "Maps" link in the bar across the top of the page, you will go to a map that shows that location as well as the locations of festivals, and just general places that our members fly at when they have the chance. The suitable fields are marked with the IKE logo.

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, May 28 2009, 01:42 PM

catspaw00 wrote:Thanks for all the warm welcomes - this is great. :) Hi to all of you!

I'm really excited about flying again. I know that a lot of folks will be out in Pontiac for the festival - is anybody going to be flying locally (meaning Cook or Lake Co)? Any suggestions on where I could go to fly that I won't get arrested or fined or whatever?

Babbman, I LOVE the videos. *grin* I aspire...

Thanks to all of you,

-C

I am going to HIGHLY suggest that you think about getting a Rev to help you out on your flying control and fun factor. It will also give you the ability to fly in more places, with more people and in a variety of winds. I know for myself, 12mph is about the tops for me and my Ozone, anything more and it becomes punishment rather than fun... and slightly dangerous. lol

I typically recommend the following for anyone who is getting into this, likes it and sees themselves staying with it:

Rev 1.5 Standard (or SUL)
Rev 1.5 Vented

For the winds we have here in Chicago, these 2 kites seems to handle everything for the most part. Typically, I would suggest buying 1 kite with lines and handles and the other as 'kite only' since the lines and handles are interchangeable.

The other option you would be asked about is what spars to get. This is an interesting and complex consideration with the choices available. I'll give you my thoughts and I would welcome some of the others here to interject their own. This is covered in other topics but for the sake of not making you dig, I'll put it here again...

here's the terms

SLE (super leading edge)
Skinny 2/3/4 wrap
Race

what's it all mean? and which ones to get? Well, I've been through them all. I started out with SLE's but abandoned them really quickly after I learned basic control which really meant, when I quit smacking it into the ground. Plus, with the SLE, you need a decent wind to get them up as they are heavy and here in Chicago, we just don't have a lot of really heavy wind days... I'm going to assume that if you are anything like I was when I started out, you probably have some basic control after flying your HQ.

I know that Kent has some opinions on the SLE as far as control and speed of the kite goes. The SLE is really stiff and allows the kite to be fairly fast and stiff. They are also very resilient and forgiving for new fliers who hit the ground fast and hard. Skinny rods provide a bit of 'mushyness' and I think, a bit more control but are definitely more fragile. I won't get into the physics of any of this though...

The wrap factor is really a measure of the stiffness of the rod.

A 2 wrap is great for light wind days in a standard sail or vented sail. Have to be careful with them though as their lightness also makes them rather fragile.
A 3 wrap is all purpose and handles a wide range of wind speeds.
A 4 wrap is for those windy days and is the heaviest of the skinny rods.
Race rods are approximately the weight of a 2 wrap with the strength of the 3 wrap.

Personally, I have a set of everything, but almost 90% of the time, I just use race rods in both my standard and vented. This lets me fly in almost any type of winds except for something heavy and gusty... oh, above let's say 18 or 20mph. Above that, I drop in the 4 wraps but those days are really pretty few and far between around here.

Something else you will realize over time is that flying isn't as much about wind speed and equipment as it is about ability and skill... both of which come with lots of practice. Obviously, there are some common sense things to consider.... you don't fly a standard sail in 20mph winds with 2 wraps in it... lol... you'll figure it our or you will end up suffering the ridicule that some of us will be happy to provide... all in good fun, of course...lol

Anyway, if you are interested, ask some more questions or just show up somewhere we are and have a go with one of our revs... they are like crack...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, May 28 2009, 02:18 PM

The most important thing that Chris said was this:

"Something else you will realize over time is that flying isn't as much about wind speed and equipment as it is about ability and skill... both of which come with lots of practice. "

So, get out and practice as much as possible ... and welcome to the forum.

Cheers,
Tom

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, May 28 2009, 03:55 PM

and here I thought that THIS was the most important thing I said...lol

"you'll figure it our or you will end up suffering the ridicule that some of us will be happy to provide... all in good fun, of course...lol "

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, May 28 2009, 05:36 PM

No, clearly the most important thing you said was,

"Anyway, if you are interested, ask some more questions or just show up somewhere we are and have a go with one of our revs... they are like crack..."

IKE is on Image too!

Return to “Introductions”