Hey Whats This, You Say???

An IKE sister club, connecting Kiteheads in the greater Quad City area.
Mux11

Hey Whats This, You Say???

Postby Mux11 » Thu, Apr 16 2009, 11:23 PM

Well IKE just got a little bit bigger. Like a little baby. staring up with those eyes of inexperience.

I like to think of it as a sister club. A way for me to flush out kiters and bring them in. coordinate some stuff closer to home & helps me put on a fest (more on that later)

SO I need YOUR help. you are all members of IKE. and all members of QC-Kites will be members of IKE. For me to get some details taken care of I need to get a few of ya to say you are member of QC-Kites.

anywhoo. let me know your questions and inquiries and THANK YOU to IKE for helping me give birth. sort-a-speak.

Cheers,
James

Mike

Re: Hey Whats This, You Say???

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 17 2009, 01:35 PM

I'd like to be a member of QC-Kites, with all the rights and privileges pertaining to such a membership.
I'm about 3 hours from the Quad cities. I've driven further to fly kites :)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Apr 17 2009, 01:44 PM

Hey, it's got Quad right there in the name...that's good enough for me. :D
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

brownssl

Postby brownssl » Fri, Apr 17 2009, 08:33 PM

im in sound great :up:
:SLKani: shawn

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, Apr 18 2009, 05:28 PM

Is Milwaukee one of the Quad cities :?:

Kidding! :clubfly:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Sat, Apr 18 2009, 11:27 PM

Jynx wrote:Is Milwaukee one of the Quad cities

Heck Yeah!!! besides when you only have 4-fingers, thats as far as you can count.....

Whata Response! Thanks !!! Now I can be "offical" as a club :up:

Very exciting stuff happening here and ill have to keep you posted!

Jim
Last edited by Mux11 on Sat, Apr 18 2009, 11:31 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Apr 19 2009, 07:55 AM

Mux11 wrote:Well IKE just got a little bit bigger. Like a little baby. staring up with those eyes of inexperience.

I like to think of it as a sister club.

Cheers,
James

James,

Count me in also ... the obvious point is that I'm closer to the Quad Cities than to some of our Chicago club flys.

But, I've been thinking over the "sister club" designation ... isn't it more of a "daughter club" type of relationship? Kind of like the Quad City branch of the IKE club? Tell me/us more, please.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Apr 19 2009, 09:35 AM

James,

No matter what the "relationship" is called, we at least have to make sure that the sharing of kiting knowledge and experience is maintained. Maybe even improved!!!

Imagine my surprise when I looked at the front page of the Peoria Journal Star this morning ... Sunday edition and this picture was above the fold ... main article for today!!!!

Yesterday was the "ninth-annual" Peoria kite day. I could have gone to it in the afternoon. Geez, this morning was the first I'd heard of a kite day in Peoria. Darn ...

The YouTube video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Sxw-Xy ... r_embedded

Looks like there are a few folks who are interested in kite flying ... a few large ones. At least the article gave me one name that I can track down.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Apr 19 2009, 10:45 AM

Ever since Illinois came out with that kite license plate to support park districts, 100s of Illinois towns have a small kite fest. Most on Earth Day, most poorly publicized.

Who was the guy with the fish kite? He seems pretty serious.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Apr 19 2009, 12:03 PM

Mike wrote:Ever since Illinois came out with that kite license plate to support park districts, 100s of Illinois towns have a small kite fest. Most on Earth Day, most poorly publicized.

The article only mentioned one name ... Al ... the gentleman with the parachute kite. I called and talked to him this morning. He's an AKA member who flys mostly single line, home built kites. He's made a dual line kite that he'd like someone to fly for him. Although he hasn't joined, he knows about IKE ... very complimentary about our listing of kite festivals. He's attended several festivals in Illinois because of the list ... mentioned meeting Chris and her husband at the DeKalb festival. He promised to both join and meet up with us at a festival ... Galesburg first and then the Pontiac festival. He didn't know any of the others at the park yesterday.

Al talked to the guy with the fish kite, but didn't get his name. I'll talk to the manager of Sommer Park tomorrow and see if he has any further contacts.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Apr 19 2009, 12:13 PM

Mike wrote:Ever since Illinois came out with that kite license plate to support park districts, 100s of Illinois towns have a small kite fest. Most on Earth Day, most poorly publicized.

During the off season I sent an email to the Illinois Association of Park Districts to see if they wanted to provide us with information about who was having events so that we could list them, but they never responded.

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Apr 19 2009, 02:15 PM

I don't think the State knows what the local districts are doing.
I do get several emails about park district fests each year, but I didn't hear about Peoria.

akillip

Postby akillip » Sun, Apr 19 2009, 03:20 PM

Somer park had there first fly back in 99 or or maybe 2000. The fields are big but are surround by dense trees. There's just no wind. We went 3 maybe 4 years finally gave up. Real small single line kites are fine as you can run or do a real long long line launch and get the kite above the tree line but its a chore. And there's deer droppings everywhere.

Tony

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Sun, Apr 19 2009, 04:22 PM

Tom, Yup daughter club, branch, segment, etc.... Im just tickled to be able to connect it to IKE!
We had a ribbon cutting for the park where I am planning my first fest. I wasnt quite aware that it would be as big a deal as it was. Got to see the Govenor again as well as talk to him about the fest and such as well as the top 10 list of political figure heads for the area.
Made a couple more contacts which was great and I think I secured a big funder.

Thats cool that you found the Peoria thing! which is also where I got thinking about a local club so i can flush out some of those "quiet" kiters and get to fly with them and what not.

As Im finding this is the spark with the real fire yet to come....

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Apr 19 2009, 04:26 PM

Mike wrote:I don't think the State knows what the local districts are doing.
I do get several emails about park district fests each year, but I didn't hear about Peoria.

I figured the Association that actually runs the program would have a clue. The park districts are supposed to register their events with the IAPD and get their planning kits and brochures, etc. from them. But they don't really appear to want to have to spend any more effort than mailing out the materials it seems. If it's a Fly 4 Kids event, it will have gone through IAPD. If it's an independent thing, then they wouldn't know. They probably don't even keep track anyway.

IKE is on Image too!

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Tue, Apr 21 2009, 12:33 AM

James,

You can count me in to!!

Mike

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Apr 21 2009, 06:42 AM

same here!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Tue, Apr 21 2009, 11:01 AM

AWESOME!!! Thank you everyone for helping with this. So there are about 12 members, and Ive got my 5 for the aka.
best part I have found a small handfull that are not IKE members but well fix that :up:

More to come on things.
thanks
James

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Apr 21 2009, 03:30 PM

Mux11 wrote:AWESOME!!! Thank you everyone for helping with this. So there are about 12 members, and Ive got my 5 for the aka.
best part I have found a small handfull that are not IKE members but well fix that :up:

More to come on things.
thanks
James

James ~ :up: Congrats on AKA's recognition of your efforts! (as received in the latest Region 6 email update):

"Speaking of spreading the joy, please join me in welcoming a new club to region 6. James Patten has been busy in the Quad cities area of Iowa. Check out the club website at: QCKite.com Planning is underway for a major festival on September 19 & 20. Sounds like a great time."
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 21 2009, 04:48 PM

Make sure to clear space on your calendars for the upcoming festival it, I think it's gonna be awesome.
It may even turn out to be mandatory attendance for all IKE members :)

Return to “Club Discussion”