Dirty Lines ...

It's not just string any more. Talk about lines and line sets and anything else associated with them.
Jeepster

Dirty Lines ...

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Mar 09 2009, 02:55 PM

With several beach festivals coming up, it probably doesn't make any sense, but I've still got to ask the question. Does anybody wash the grit out of their lines after flying on the beach? Or, do you keep a couple of line sets just for beach flying? With the Fosters, it doesn't make sense to be concerned ... that's simply where they fly ... he said with envy!!! But, since many weeks elapse between flights on the beach for us, it would seem that getting the grit out would prolong the life of line sets.

If you do wash your lines, how do you do it? Is there any problems to be concerned about? No, I have no intentions of thowing the lines in the washing machine and then the dryer ... although the thought of what they would look like after the fact does bring a smile to my face.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Re: Dirty Lines ...

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 09 2009, 03:21 PM

I've known people to throw the lineset, still on the winder, into soapy water.
Then they fly them dry.

I find that the lines are not only dirty they are also frayed, so I haven't found much improvement by washing.
It's just the cost of flying in perfect winds.

Jim Foster

Re: Dirty Lines ...

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Mar 09 2009, 06:31 PM

We have had very wet and sandy lines, like after the night fly at WSIKF. We let the lines dry outside the kite bag, then give them a few good taps and the sand seems to fall right out. It never seems to be a real problem.

Perhaps flying after the lines are dry blows or rubs the sand out. Our lines do lots of crossing and rubbing on each other. Don't know.

I suppose you could rinse them out on the winder, but we never have. But then, the lines we used at Kite Party are only about four years old. They couldn't have much more than 1,000 hours on them. :roll:
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Return to “Lines”