Make Your Own Kids Kite

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
chookaluke

Make Your Own Kids Kite

Postby chookaluke » Tue, Feb 24 2009, 02:29 PM

i had to laugh when i discovered this group on the web and saw one of founders got into kites after his daughter watched mary poppins. the same has just happened to me! we have graduated from our dollar store model (boy was it fun to fly a kite again!) and now we are looking to dive into make our own. we had so much fun doing this as kids, but i can't remember how exactly. lots of designs on the web, but i thought i'd throw it out there for the experts. anyone out there with kids, nieces, nephews who wants to recommend some proven easy (for 4-6 yr olds) and fun designs? i'm also interested in keeping it simple with easy to find materials. weblinks, books, keywords, whatever -- thanks for any info.

Mux11

Re: Make Your Own Kids Kite

Postby Mux11 » Tue, Feb 24 2009, 11:10 PM

WELCOME Chook!! good to see you are bit by the bug :up:

first suggestion ~ Sleds
can be made from a sheet of paper or plastic bag with hours of flying fun.
just about every book i have has this plan in it.

some online sources
Here is one from Gary Engvall, probably top of my list as a base.
http://members.cox.net/kiter/sled/sled.html

http://www.vientocero.com/kpb/planos/sl ... dmini.html
http://utenti.lycos.it/volere_volare/progetti/sled.htm (language - but you can translate through google)

Your local library I bet will have a book or several with plans, sketches, ideas, and suggestions.

I have a 4yr old so we have been doing the 'she colors the paper and I put help put it together' thing for a while now. Cool thing is she is starting to take an interest in the sewing machine.

Just watch out this getts addictive QUICK :shock:

:welcome1:
Jim - Davenport ia

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 25 2009, 10:21 AM

A big welcome from me as well, chookaluke!
I second Jim's comments. Sleds are easy to make and fly well in moderate winds.

Click on the "Festivals" link at the top of this page and please join us at one of the upcoming festivals. We'd love to meet you and your daughter in person and get Dad hooked on the other kinds of kites out there.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Feb 25 2009, 11:36 AM

Mike wrote:
Click on the "Festivals" link at the top of this page and please join us at one of the upcoming festivals. We'd love to meet you and your daughter in person and get Dad hooked on the other kinds of kites out there.

You've heard of the "Kite Runner?"

Well we're the Kite Pushers. :lol:

Welcome!
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

penwrite05

Postby penwrite05 » Sun, Mar 01 2009, 08:25 PM

well, ive got two sons here.. and they are into flying kites as well.. they're teh ones who actually made my husband and i addicted to it. though, they are still so much inlove with what their father made for them. its a good thing though, i dont have to spend too much on their kites. not as much as to what i already have.

----------------------------
fit tummies

chookaluke

Postby chookaluke » Mon, Mar 09 2009, 12:24 PM

thanks for the great welcome and suggestions! i knew this was the place to get right to it. i look forward to making and flying 30+ sleds with 30 preschoolers this or next month. future club members!

Return to “General Discussion”