Postby moegeo » Fri, Feb 13 2009, 06:33 PM

Kitehead wrote:
moegeo wrote:Allen,
If Isaac isn't going to be able to make it, who'll be your Bartender? :wink:

Jeff, I guess...

:-D

Then again, Dano is bringing homebrew stout. :up:

That was an offer...

I talked to Dano a month or so back. I'm looking forward to sampling his brew.
Geo.

Kitehead

Re: Kite Party Roll Call

Postby Kitehead » Sat, Feb 14 2009, 11:17 AM

I wouldn't want to distract you from your cheese trays. That would be tragic. :shock:
Allen Carter

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:22 AM

Want to go to the Huntington Beach Pier a little early? I'm sure Jeff or Chris can clean up the process, but try this:

1) Bring up ... http://maps.google.com/
2) In the upper left area, next to Search Google Maps, type in ... 405 Pacific Coast Hwy, 92648 ... and hit enter
3) In the upper left area of the map there is an orange guy ... drag and drop him (actually the green circle that will appear) on the "A" sign
4) You're now standing on the corner of Main and Pacific Coast Highway ... facing away from the pier
5) Again, in the upper left area of the map is a hand outline and some arrows ... click on the left or right arrow to turn around and look down the pier.
6) If you want to drive around the area, use the same arrows to turn around and then use the arrows in the middle of the street to go for a drive.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 15 2009, 12:14 PM

Isn't that cool? I use Street View all the time. I like using it before driving to a new area.
I was looking for a Trader Joes once and I was even able to use Street View to read a sign in the store window about where to park. Saved me the hassle of driving around downtown Chicago looking for parking when I got there.

If you start with the Kite Party Map and then go to Street View you can check out your hotel and where we'll be eating, etc.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 15 2009, 12:17 PM

from the NBC Los Angeles website:

50s and 60s Huntington Beach Annual Kite Party
Saturday, Feb 28 11:00a
at Huntington Beach Pier, Huntington Beach, CA

Join Cornerstone for their annual Huntington Beach Kite Party. Adults in their 50s and 60s are invited to enjoy the best kites and kite flyers in the world.

I'll be just a wee bit too young for Kite Party, I guess. :-D

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Feb 15 2009, 12:53 PM

Jeepster wrote:Want to go to the Huntington Beach Pier a little early? I'm sure Jeff or Chris can clean up the process, but try this:

1) Bring up ... http://maps.google.com/
2) In the upper left area, next to Search Google Maps, type in ... 405 Pacific Coast Hwy, 92648 ... and hit enter
3) In the upper left area of the map there is an orange guy ... drag and drop him (actually the green circle that will appear) on the "A" sign
4) You're now standing on the corner of Main and Pacific Coast Highway ... facing away from the pier
5) Again, in the upper left area of the map is a hand outline and some arrows ... click on the left or right arrow to turn around and look down the pier.
6) If you want to drive around the area, use the same arrows to turn around and then use the arrows in the middle of the street to go for a drive.

Cheers,
Tom
How about a direct link? ;)

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll= ... 8967032716

Plus, there's some nice live webcams...

http://www.ci.huntington-beach.ca.us/Vi ... dition.cfm
http://www.hbcams.com/cam2.html

(This pic is an embedded verison of the webcam view...it updates every minute, but you have to refresh the page for it to reload)

As always, collected info can be viewed on the IKE Festival page... http://www.ikeclub.org/wiki/Kite_Party_7 :up:
Last edited by Jeff on Sun, Feb 15 2009, 12:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 15 2009, 04:10 PM

Jeff wrote:...
As always, collected info can be viewed on the IKE Festival page... http://www.ikeclub.org/wiki/Kite_Party_7 :up:

As proof of Jeff's great work on the IKE wiki (IKElopedia), if you google "Kite Party" that page shows up in the top 10.
Also in the top 10 is someone's video of a mega fly featuring several our favorite IKE members.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Feb 17 2009, 11:17 PM

Mike wrote:from the NBC Los Angeles [url=http://events.nbclosangeles.com/huntington-beach-ca/events/show/86093164-50s-and-60s-huntington-beach-annual-kite-party]

50s and 60s Huntington Beach Annual Kite Party
Adults in their 50s and 60s are invited to enjoy the best kites and kite flyers in the world.
I'll be just a wee bit too young for Kite Party, I guess. :-D

Oh Great!
...50s and 60s? Should be one heck of a party!

Forget flying out there... I'm chartering a bus, filling it with all my friends from the West Allis Senior Center and Happy Home for the Aged!
We'll make KP7 an event to remember! We'll have oxygen shots for everyone! Not to mention our walkers make great stakes for the beach!

(Hope those numbers were predicted temperatures!!!???) If not... You guys will have to *Back-off and let Me Fly Lead!

(*Sorry Mike!)
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Feb 18 2009, 10:43 AM

My winter kiting withdrawal is hitting its peak. If I don't get a fix soon, I'll freak out. :shock:

Last night I had a dream that I was at some festival. Something local in the summer. It was early in the morning, and we couldn't have the field yet. I left to run some errand and got stuck in a line or a wait or something, and couldn't get back. It was a nightmare. :-)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Feb 18 2009, 06:06 PM

Jeff......so sorry to hear of your problem. Sounds real bad. I doubt that you will find much help here on this forum. Except for a few of us who live on the west coast, the others here are not much better off then you are.
They probably have the same kind of nightmares, but have not yet voiced their need for help. However, like you, many seem to be seeking help by heading west next week. I would think that a few days on Huntington Beach should do a great deal to alleviate your problem.

I understand that there is now medication for your problem, however, the side effects (Irregular heart beat, blood clots, possible stroke, loss of hair, loss of short term memory, loss of long term memory, temporary blindness, some loss of hearing may result. If any of these conditions show up, seek a doctor immediately.) may not be worth the risk.

It's only a few days away. Hang in there everyone, Lynn and I will see you on the beach....
Last edited by Jim Foster on Wed, Feb 18 2009, 06:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Feb 18 2009, 11:57 PM

OH YEA!!!!! :twisted: At the time of this posting it will be less then a week away for Paul, Krissy (my wife) and I. See you soon Jim and Lynn.

:twisted: OH YEA BABY!!!!!! :twisted:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 08:31 AM

Man, it has been a tough winter. I can't wait!!!
I'm flying out on Saturday but I wont be on the beach until Wednesday.
I just finished topping up the charge on all the team radios and extra batteries, I'm bringing all 7 team kites and picking up an eighth set out there.
I'm ready to be outside! In the sun! And with temperatures above freezing! And winds less than 30 mph!

kiteking

Postby kiteking » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 11:22 AM

Well do to a situation beyond my control I will not be going to Huntington Beach this coming Monday. I will not be able to leave until Tuesday, I have to stay home on Monday to let my wife's new puppy out. Hey, its no fun on the beach if Mikes not there anyway.

See you all next week
Wind to your back, Kite in the sky

MikeM
Brookings, OR
AKA# 110883

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 12:11 PM

First time in my life I've spent so much time trying to figure out what to pack and what not to pack.... Forget the waredrobe... Just making sure I've packed the right kites and equipment!

What has happened to me? I need a fix! ...A warm sunny breezy fix!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 12:26 PM

Jynx wrote:... Forget the wardrobe...

That will certainly make for an interesting Kite Party!!!!

Cheers,
Tom

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 02:37 PM

Jynx wrote:First time in my life I've spent so much time trying to figure out what to pack and what not to pack.... Forget the waredrobe... Just making sure I've packed the right kites and equipment!

What has happened to me? I need a fix! ...A warm sunny breezy fix!

Remember, it is February. We can, and probably will, have everything from cool, overcast in the morning, to warm (shorts time) in the afternoon. Bring sun screen and something to keep you warm when it gets cool in the morning and evening. Layers.

And a hat or cap. I keep gloves in the pocket of my jacket.

Do I sound like your mother? :roll:
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 03:10 PM

Jynx: if you forget a kite or line, you'll be able to borrow it.
There's a tradition of flying OPKs at festivals.

It may also rain briefly. Winter is the rainy time for SoCal.
The last couple years there was a light rain for maybe a couple hours in the morning on one of the days.

(OPK=other peoples kites)

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 03:12 PM

kiteking wrote:...
See you all next week

See you soon!

Return to “2009 Kite Festivals”