Color Bleeding In Nylon ...

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Jeepster

Color Bleeding In Nylon ...

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Feb 13 2009, 05:09 PM

I thought JoAnn fabrics was a perfect source for nylon fabric to make kite bags. The right weight heavy duty fabric, several different colors, reasonable price during half price sales and it was available in small quantities when I needed it. Unfortunately, I just discovered that the red and blue colors bleed and bleed and bleed and bleed. Black is a little better, but still not safe enough to use as a kite bag. I ran a blue bag through the washing machine three times, soaked it in salt water, soaked it in vinegar and then used a commercial "stop the bleed" product called Retayne ... yep, still bleeds. I think I have a perpetual dye making machine.

So, I have several questions. 1) Do you treat your nylon with anything to ensure that it doesn't bleed? 2) Do you test your bag making material for bleeding? 3) No you look for anything special when buying bag making material? 4) I've never heard anybody talk about concerns of bleeding, so have I found the only source of poor nylon? 5) Any experience with the Rev bags bleeding? Certainly don't want to be the first to discover that they bleed.

Luckily no kites were ruined while discovering this revolting fact. Thanks for small things ... or maybe not so small things.

What suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Frodos Majik

Re: Color Bleeding In Nylon ...

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Feb 13 2009, 10:22 PM

Hey Tom I have used some of the rip stop nylon from JoAnn's for a few kites I have made. I have not noticed any bleeding from them. But of course I did not drown them in water either. So I dont know what to tell you other then....

IT IS FRIDAY the THIRTEENTH !!!! :shock: :twisted: :shock:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Feb 13 2009, 10:36 PM

Frodos Majik wrote:Hey Tom I have used some of the rip stop nylon from JoAnn's for a few kites I have made. I have not noticed any bleeding from them. But of course I did not drown them in water either. So I dont know what to tell you other then....

IT IS FRIDAY the THIRTEENTH !!!! :shock: :twisted: :shock:

I've got a small piece of their ripstop ... I'll see if it bleeds. The heavier stuff is what I used for kite bags ... all my SLKs and one for my gift Rev "Victoria".

When I went to put the almost all white Rev into the homemade black bag, I started to think about our club fly on Northerly Island ... where everyone and everything was soaked. And, I remembered that Mike K said there was a possibility of one rainy day at KP7. So, I did a quick check on a swath of cloth only to find terrible bleeding. I've been experimenting all week with different things to stop the bleeding ... nothing has worked yet. Maybe a tie dyed Rev is in my future.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Feb 14 2009, 10:24 AM

Frodos Majik wrote:Hey Tom I have used some of the rip stop nylon from JoAnn's for a few kites I have made. I have not noticed any bleeding from them.

The light weight rip stop doesn't seem to bleed. I soaked a sample of black in soapy water overnight and maybe got a tinge of color ... maybe not ... if it was there, it was extremely slight.

Looks like I'm headed over to the KiteBuilder forum to expose my ignorance to a wider circle.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Feb 14 2009, 11:14 AM

kitebuilder is a good place to go.
If you could post a summary of your findings back here that would be groovy.

For bags, I keep an eye out for $1/yd stuff at Walmart. When I see something I usually buy the whole bolt of fabric and I'm set for a while.
If the Walmart near you doesn't have anything, when you're at the Grinnell kitefest, see if the Walmart there still does. It used to have a big selection and it was even sorted by fabric type.

My individual kite bags are inside my semi-waterproof larger kite bag. I also don't put wet kites away in a sleeve, so I don't know if my fabric bleeds--it's never come up.

Return to “Sewing”