Kite Projects - This Winter---Rok Building Class

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Pkrekel

Re: Kite Projects - This Winter---Rok Building Class

Postby Pkrekel » Mon, Feb 02 2009, 07:03 AM

Mike wrote:Well if you guys are all going to be there, I guess I'll come too.

If Mike is showing, I guess I will also be there!!!

Paul

Anne

Postby Anne » Mon, Feb 02 2009, 12:30 PM

OK...Funny funny...LOL

Anne

Postby Anne » Mon, Feb 02 2009, 12:38 PM

Hello,
Well from what I can tell it looks like we'll have approximately 7 coming without including the Stephenson's.

Anne

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Mon, Feb 02 2009, 09:40 PM

I will be there. counted as 1 :up:

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, Feb 04 2009, 04:51 PM

For all you GPS addicts the address for the building is 103 state rte 115 cabery il 60919 this address did not work on my GPS but the house one does 103 west main cabery, il. The shop is north east of the house it is the large dark brick building on 115.

brownssl

Postby brownssl » Wed, Feb 04 2009, 07:10 PM

YOU ARE A GOOD MAN THANK YOU MIKE :up:
:SLKani: shawn

DB Cooper

Postby DB Cooper » Wed, Feb 04 2009, 09:07 PM

Mike -

What about us poor folk who don't have a fancy GPS that you put an address in? I can only use coordinates, no map overlay either, I like to roll old school. I need to guess which road to turn on, sometimes I've even found myself driving through fields because the little arrow pointed that way.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Feb 04 2009, 10:08 PM

backdraft wrote:For all you GPS addicts the address for the building is 103 state rte 115 cabery il 60919 this address did not work on my GPS but the house one does 103 west main cabery, il. The shop is north east of the house it is the large dark brick building on 115.

For those who like to go retro it looks like North 40.996 degrees ... West 088.209 degrees will work.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 05 2009, 01:35 PM

To recap what may have been lost in the 5 pages of this thread:
Here's a google map to get directions:

Time: 9am

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... iwloc=addr

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 05 2009, 01:45 PM

What to bring:
Whatever you use to sew and any tips or hints you've got to share with the rest of us.

Sewing Machine, pedal and power cord ;)
Thread. I only use black and white. Mostly black. I use a colored sharpie on white thread when I worry about the color.
Seam ripper
Pencil
Extra needles for your machine
Scissors for cutting thread

In addition, you may want to bring:
Hot cutter
Roller cutter
Quilting ruler
Blue masking tape
Glue Stick (steal one from your kids)
Double stick tape if you use it
Straight edge/ruler
Scissors for cutting cloth

extension cord for your machine
If you haven't used your machine much, bring the manual in case we have to troubleshoot.

Did I forget anything?

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 05 2009, 02:00 PM

I'll be bringing all of the above equipment and the material, spars, and line.

I'm writing up some diagrams and instructions, but I'm working from memory so I'm gonna forget something.
I'll print out some copies to pass around and I'll make notes as we make the kites. Then I'll make a final PDF of the instructions and email them to everyone next week.

I have a couple different ideas for finishing the kite and doing the tension lines. I have extra parts so you can experiment or do what I've done in the past.

I got the line from Chicago Kite this week and Dave didn't charge us for shipping. So the spools of line will be $13.99 +10.5% sales tax = $15.50 each.
(Jeepster, your choice of 90# or 50# spool is $13.25)
Dave is such a good guy, he even threw in a couple extra spools of line which will be using for tension lines. Thanks Dave :up:

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 05 2009, 02:07 PM

Here's a diagram to whet your interest...

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Sat, Feb 07 2009, 08:59 PM

THANK YOU !! for a great workshop. The drive was as it should be, without event.

Here are some shots i took from today.

ROK BUILD

Im anxious to see the finished products from all uf us.
JP

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Feb 07 2009, 09:26 PM

Nice photos.
Thanks so much to Anne and Mike S for providing the great space and all the food and drinks. We were spoiled.

Sorry you had to leave early James. The rest of the guys with working sewing machines got their kites finished and Anne will post photos of all the cool Roks.

Thanks all for a fun day, and thanks Jeepster for the Red, Shortie, Papa Smurf Kite stake (it's in James photo here.)

brownssl

Postby brownssl » Sat, Feb 07 2009, 10:10 PM

HAD A GREAT TIME THANK YOU MIKE AND ANN FOR THE FOOD AND THE PLACE TO HAVE THE CLASS AND THANK YOU KIKE K FOR BABY SITTING ME NICE SEEING EVERY BODY :up:
:SLKani: shawn

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Feb 07 2009, 11:30 PM

Glad to here the drive home was good James.

A HUGE THANKS to Mike & Anne, Mike K. and Dave for all that you did and passed on to everyone!!!

It was great hanging out with everyone for the whole day cuttin, sewin and of course JOKIN around!!! For the newbies JOB WELL DONE. Would never known you had not touched the sewing pedal before. :up:

I cannot wait for the first fest we can ALL make...

Have a ROK battle...

and have it said over the loud speakers...

"ALL these kites flying were made by the fliers!!!!" 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Sat, Feb 07 2009, 11:41 PM

Well I finished it around 11pm and took it outside it seem to fly great. Thanks all for coming over we had a great time, I look forward to doing it again some time.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Feb 08 2009, 10:29 AM

Okay Mike, so what are we going to build next year? We do need to start the planning, 'cuz yesterday was a great experience.

If you didn't attend because you've never even touched a sewing machine, Brownssl was the class act that debased all of your fears. Shawn showed up with just a smile - but you already knew he'd have a smile didn't you - and not even a sewing machine. Mike K. brought his sewing machine in from the van, set it up and showed Shawn how it worked. When you see Shawn's kite you'll never guess that yesterday was his first day of sewing. Watch for the lime colored ROK ... I'm jealous ... the color is great and the kite really looks good.

And, I think I heard Paul comment that he'd sewn before ... the Smurf hats! Again, his work was great ... look for the "rising sun" ROK. His kite became the applique lesson for the day.

Mike S had trouble with his sewing machine, so was held up a little. Mike K worked on it and saved the day ... he has a new career as sewing machine mechanic. Mike S has posted that he worked until 11pm to finish his kite ... a full 14 hour shift ... but, it gives you indication of how dedicated everyone was and how much fun we had.

Now I do wonder if Mux11 can really sew ... he cut out his kites and then left for home ... maybe his wife sews his kites. Thanks for the hints and tips James ...

You've see Ken's work before - for instance his vented REV - so you already know how his kite looked.

My son and I showed up with one sewing machine between the two of us. When it became apparent that we'd either half-finish two kites or completely finish one kite, we took the one kite approach. Jamie assumed the kit maker role and I took over the seamstress role. We'll finish his "kit" and my second "kit" before spring flying shows up. I've used the sewing machine before for other stuff, but this was my first kite. Doubt that Lynn Foster has anything to fear in the near future, but I'm very pleased with my first attempt. There will be more!!!

The food was great - thanks Anne for feeding us all day; the mood was extremely supportive - thanks everyone for brightening the day; the instruction and learning opportunities were excellent - special thanks to Mike K for putting up with us and thanks to everyone for bringing their personal skill sets.

One example of what was shared yesterday. How do you cut out the kite material?

- Scissors
- Rotary cutters on a cutting mat
- Exacto knife on glass
- Hot cutting on glass
- heated Exacto knife blade
- heated blunt tip
- heated blunt tip with rheostat control
- 250 watt Weller heavy duty soldering gun

All of these methods were demonstrated and there was plenty of scrap material to turn it into a hands-on learning experience. Some used the poster board patterns directly to hot cut and some used the poster board patterns to mark the material and then one of the other methods to cut out the material, but all ended up with a very successful conclusion thanks to friendly support.

So, if you missed this year for any reason what-so-ever, don't miss next year. If you don't have a sewing machine ... yard sale season is starting soon and basic sewing machines are cheap ... Mike K's machine is so basic it doesn't even have a three stitch zig-zag feature and you've seen how good his work looks. Hit up your relatives ... they might have an old machine they're not using ... my wife reminded me last night that her mother's sewing machine is gathering dust in the closet back home.

Thanks again everyone ... Anne for the good food ... Mike S for the shelter ... Mike K for the gathering, planning and instruction ... the rest of the folks for the great companionship and contributed hints, tips and support.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Sun, Feb 08 2009, 10:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 08 2009, 11:49 AM

Hey guys, if you try to fly your kites today and wonder how to attach the flying line to the bridle...
I'm not sure I got around to everyone, so just in case, here's how to do it.
It's simple:
Take an 8" piece of line tie into a loop with a regular overhand knot.
Larkshead your flying line onto the overhand knot.
Then "prusik" it to the center bridle line. The prusik locks on the line but you can slide it up and down to change the flying angle and adjust the kite for different winds.

The prusik is also useful to save yourself if you fall in an ice crevasse on a glacier.
So, here's how a mountain climber ties a prusik (we do it the same way, just that we mostly use thinner rope):
[youtube]P0d8-Fxdx8Y[/youtube]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Feb 08 2009, 12:55 PM

Mike wrote:Hey guys, if you try to fly your kites today and wonder how to attach the flying line to the bridle...

It's simple:
Take an 8" piece of line tie into a loop with a regular overhand knot.
Larkshead your flying line onto the overhand knot.
Then "prusik" it to the center bridle line. The prusik locks on the line but you can slide it up and down to change the flying angle and adjust the kite for different winds.

Mike,

That also looks like a good, light weight, method for attaching line laundry to your main lines. Yes?

Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Sewing”