Golf Ball Spike

Talk about kite accessories. Bags, Spars, etc.
linekahuna

Golf Ball Spike

Postby linekahuna » Mon, Dec 29 2008, 06:19 PM

I use a hollow fiberglass rod in .261-.298 for the shaft, a pink golf ball, drilled and glued on and a metal arrow nock insert. You can also use a solid fiberglass rod and sharpen the tip.

Mike

Re: Golf Ball Spike

Postby Mike » Mon, Dec 29 2008, 06:58 PM

I like the idea of the fiberglass rods with the arrow point--is that the nock? I thought the nock was the other end.
Anyway, I like 'em lighter weight so I would use something other than the golf ball.

Jeepster has some photos of some of his stakes somewhere on here too.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Dec 29 2008, 08:48 PM

linekahuna wrote:I use a hollow fiberglass rod in .261-.298 for the shaft, a pink golf ball, drilled and glued on and a metal arrow nock insert. You can also use a solid fiberglass rod and sharpen the tip.

Jim,

I have some solid stainless steel golf ball stakes that I use for the lighter SLKs ... just stick them in the ground and use a carabiner around the shaft to tie the line to.

Mike has converted me to using the smaller stakes that will fit easily into the back pocket of your jeans. First I used a knitting needle ... they work great ... all kinds of sizes and colors, but the point is not as strong as I'd like. Then I saw the nano tent stakes that REI sells ... cut the head off and they work perfect. When I gave one to backdraft, he pointed out that it was an arrow shaft ... sure enough it's the nock end of an Easton 2018 arrow shaft. So visit with your bowhunting buddies and get some of their arrow shafts and you'll be a convert. The first two numbers represent the diameter in 64s of an inch ... thus, a 20xx arrow shaft is 20/64 or 5/16 inch in diameter. If they're stong enough to sell for a tent stake, they should last us a long time!

I haven't made any arrows in a long time, so haven't checked to see if the inserts for fibergalss shafts will work in an aluminum shaft. That would greatly increase the number of stakes made from a single arrow shaft.

For Mike: The insert provides a taper (point) on which the nock is glued. The point that you saw on my stake was formed during manufacturing and is the taper for the nock.

Cheers,
Tom

linekahuna

Postby linekahuna » Mon, Dec 29 2008, 10:17 PM

The arrow nock insert is what the arrow nock is glued to, not the end the broadhead attaches to.
The broadheadfitting is glued into the shaft and the point is screwed into the fitting.
Have seen some interesting camoflaged arrow shafts.
Should be able to get colored ones.
Use whatever you want for the top as long as you can see it clearly.
Last edited by linekahuna on Mon, Dec 29 2008, 10:25 PM, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Accessories”