2009: February 28-March 1. Kite Party, Huntington Beach, CA

The 2009 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

2009: February 28-March 1. Kite Party, Huntington Beach, CA

Postby Mike » Thu, Oct 23 2008, 09:17 AM

Kite Party
February 28-March 1, 2009
Huntington Beach, California

I've updated last years map. There's a new satellite photo on the google map site. Check it out HERE.

Rose may be coming this year.
A few of the fellows from England are trying to work out a way to come.
Some of the East Coast rev folks are going.
Shenkman is shooting for a 100 rev megafly!

And there will also be lots of SLKs and dual lines too.
Usually several designers and manufacturers come too. Also, several shop owners from around the country (well, mostly western states)
No demos or performances, just a huge roped off area, music, pizza, an auction, and lots of flying in nice weather!

moegeo

Re: 2009: Kite Party, Huntington Beach, CA

Postby moegeo » Thu, Oct 23 2008, 10:29 AM

There usualy are demos, Team too Much Fun, little Ben, IQuad...but I wouldn't say they dominate the Party.
For those of you on the fence, it's a great social event and a oppertunity to fly with people you wouldn't normally get a chance to. I've also found if you are suck on a trick or technique there are a lot of helpful, gracious flyers to sraighten you out.
All in all, missing this event will be something you would definitely regret.

Geo.
Last edited by moegeo on Thu, Oct 23 2008, 07:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Oct 23 2008, 10:47 AM

You're right, I exaggerated. There are usually a few demos when the TV cameras show up. Last year had more demos than previous years. I think I flew 4 demos for the weekend as iQuad. I would guess a total of 1 hour of demos per day on Saturday and Sunday. A good time to grab something to eat ;)

That's very different from most festivals where there are continuous demos and it's hard for non-demo fliers to find a place to fly. Here, the roped off areas are for everyone to fly in--except for the very short period of demos.
And even that may change this year if both sides of the pier are used. In that case, you'll probably never have to stop flying. The demos will be in one field, and you can fly in the other roped off field.

Oh, and the big demo will be the mega fly. And most all the Rev fliers will be able to perform in that one. If he gets enough fliers I bet that will be on TV too.

(By the way, this year, I plan on telling John that I wont be flying as iQuad and will be flying as IKE and :Logo180GO!: the entire time)

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Oct 23 2008, 02:16 PM

Lynn and I are soooooooo looking forward to this event, and flying with everyone.

Kite Party is on our list of "must do events". :up: :revspin: :revspin:
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Thu, Oct 23 2008, 07:19 PM

The Stephensons are going it is a must do, all club members should try to make this one its a great time and alot of great people. We are looking forward to seeing all our west coast friends again.

Mike S.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Oct 23 2008, 08:55 PM

Agreed this one is a MUST DO if funds allow it!!!

I will be there also again this year, and I am still working on sweet talking the wife into taking the plunge with her first plane ride and join me out on the west coast. :up:
Was such a huge blast last year that I cannot wait till february gets here already!! :twisted:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

AhMayzon

Postby AhMayzon » Thu, Oct 23 2008, 10:59 PM

I'm hoping to make it to this one again, if the schedule allows. Always a great time. :-D

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Nov 26 2008, 07:58 AM

It looks like the 100-kite thing isn't going to happen.
That's probably better, it gives more time for just flyin' and hangin' out.
We'll still have a mega-fly. Probably led by Mark Lummis of Team Too Much Fun.

I'm gonna try to be there most of the preceding week.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Nov 26 2008, 09:24 AM

Jo Ann and I are planning on attending ... have reservations at the HoJo motel. Plan on showing up Thursday and leaving Tuesday.

Cheers,
Tom

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Nov 26 2008, 09:46 AM

Count me in! I made reservations at the Huntington Best Western...
See you/s there (If not before... at the burrrrrrrrr... Cool Fool Fest New Years Day).
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Nov 26 2008, 09:47 AM

FYI ...

I know that several IKE members are/were planning on staying at the Huntington Surf Inn. Unfortunately they've raised their rates about 20% over last year. Anne was kind enough to bug them for a cut in rates if we booked several rooms, but to no avail. They took pity on me as a senior and offered a $4 cut in their rate. That's why I ended up at the HoJo hotel.

The HoJo hotel has a 15% off special if you reserve by the end of the year and stay two consecutive nights in the same hotel. The rules state that there is no backing out or changing of reservations for the special, but my confirmation doesn't contain those provisions. It simply states that cancellations need to be made by 6:00pm the night before or I owe them for one night. With the 15% off special it was almost one B-series "kite only" cheaper than the Huntington Surf Inn and more than two SULs cheaper than the Best Western. Your mileage may vary.

So, if you think you might end up at the HoJo hotel, you probably should stop procrastinating and make a reservation before the first of the year.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Wed, Nov 26 2008, 10:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Nov 26 2008, 11:29 AM

I should be there. Stuff can always come up, but I'm planning on it.

That's some great flyin' out there. :)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Nov 27 2008, 02:35 AM

Both Krissy and I are planning on being out there also. We will be there from thursday afternoon thru monday early afternoon. I am hoping t o repeat the same flight times as this past feb., which were - arrive out there around noon and being in the air around two in the afternoon on monday.

Cannot wait should be a HUGE BLAST of a time again as it was this past feb!!

and Tom the hojo maybe a few dollars cheaper to stay, but you will have to pay for parking at the beach as well as gas for all the driving. Just a thought to keep in mind. It was really nice to get out of bed and stroll across the street and be at the beach.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “2009 Kite Festivals”