My Revs--and discussion of a midvent rev.

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Mike

My Revs--and discussion of a midvent rev.

Postby Mike » Tue, Oct 28 2008, 03:15 PM

I think I dug them all up.
It's too chilly to fly and I'm still getting over this stupid cold, so I photographed my revs.
There's a couple home made rev style kites in there too.
With the exception of the Rev II stack near the end, all the photos were taken from the same distance so the relative sizes are correct.
Attachments
Rev kites.jpg
Rev kites.jpg (246.37 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

brownssl

Re: My Revs

Postby brownssl » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 12:26 AM

WOW THAT IS ALOT OF REVS VERY NICE COLLECTION :up:
:SLKani: shawn

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 06:49 AM

Here's mine... The picture is missing 7 more of my revs though..lol

[albumimg]989[/albumimg]

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 07:54 AM

Well, half of mine are team kites.
Some of the interesting revs though are:
3rd one down: the blue and white Anniversary Rev, signed by the Joe and Dave (the inventors). The left half is the original Rev Sail pattern and the right side is the B-series pattern.

half way down: the Backtracker. A rev experiment which they don't talk about much....

further down: The black and red Rev I in the original sail pattern.

Just below that, see if you can spot the problem with this Rev 1.5 factory mistake.

At the bottom is a stack of Rev II sized kites and the progressive stack of a II, 1.5 and Rev I.

Note the lack of B-Series Kites! I'm behind! Maybe it's time to sell some older kites and buy some new ones. Anyone wanna buy the Blast (10th kite down)?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 09:21 AM

Mike wrote:Just below that, see if you can spot the problem with this Rev 1.5 factory mistake.

Looks like the colors don't match side-to-side on the purple/pink panels.

Your display is interesting to me since I've flown your Anniversary Rev, progressive stack and one of the vented std revs (number five if I remember correctly) ... plus, you've tried to get me to fly others ...

How old is kite number two? I assume that's a Mylar panel and not screening. Is it an SLE kite with the large diameter leading edge?

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Wed, Oct 29 2008, 09:22 AM, edited 1 time in total.

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 12:08 PM

Well,

If you count the Anniversary edition, you have half a B-Series so your not really that far behind. :)

You could always say you were just pacing yourself for the B-Series Pro (we have a couple in stock now - hint hint...) :twisted:
Last edited by awindofchange on Wed, Oct 29 2008, 12:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 03:16 PM

Jeepster: I don't know how old it is. 2003?
Yes it's mylar, and yes it probably came with an SLE.

While looking thru old photos to see if I could figure it out, I came across a photo of a kite I forgot!
It's an older kite, with fewer panels. I looked around in the basement and found it, but rather than set it up and photograph it I'll just post the old photo.

Kent: I'm tempted, I'm very tempted... It would be nice to have a SUL, Vented and Mid-Vent. ;) but I'm not in a position to buy just yet.
Attachments
News-Gazette-front-page.jpg
Oct, 2002
News-Gazette-front-page.jpg (127.37 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 03:19 PM

By the way, for those who've been to Champaign, that field is now a Walgreens.
And I looked at the sail thats in the basement. The leading edge screen had blown out so as an experiment I replaced it with solid cloth. To test the need for screening. The screening is needed. :P
One of these days, maybe I'll tear out the solid cloth and put some screening back in.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 03:57 PM

Mike wrote:While looking thru old photos to see if I could figure it out, I came across a photo of a kite I forgot!
It's an older kite, with fewer panels. I looked around in the basement and found it, but rather than set it up and photograph it I'll just post the old photo.

Oh sure, post a picture where Rose has her hands high over her head and with the lines slack at that! You're sure brave when she's miles and miles away.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 05:35 PM

Jeepster wrote:Oh sure, post a picture where Rose has her hands high over her head and with the lines slack at that! You're sure brave when she's miles and miles away.

Cheers,
Tom

shhhh, she doesn't read this forum. And this was 6 years ago. And the wind was off and on. And we all put our hands over our heads in those days. :-D

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Oct 29 2008, 11:48 PM

and Tom if you read the caption in the photo it says... "Mike works on getting HIS kite back in the air"

So you see his is JUST above the picture frame fighting to get back up too. :rotfl
He is just to kewl to get caught. :P 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

brownssl

Postby brownssl » Thu, Oct 30 2008, 12:36 AM

WE WILL NEVER TELL ROSE WOULD WE ? :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
:SLKani: shawn

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Oct 31 2008, 04:24 PM

Mike wrote:One of these days, maybe I'll tear out the solid cloth and put some screening back in.

Ok, I did it.
I tore out the solid bit of cloth and replaced the LE screen and decided to make it a mid-vent for fun.
It also needed endcaps, a bridle, and bungees. (I must have stole them off this kite for a home made kite)

The winds were around 12, so I just did a quick test, comparing it against a full vented. It behaved like you would expect, it was faster and twitchier than the full. In 12, I prefer the full vented for the increased precision. I flew both on race spars.
I'll try it tomorrow in lighter winds and compare it with a standard/SUL.
Attachments
DSC_6949.jpg
DSC_6949.jpg (30.18 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 01 2008, 04:07 PM

Another test of the midvent today.
I need to get a wind meter for this sort of thing.

The wind was ranging from nothing to barely detectable. Flags didn't move.
I flew a SUL and the midvent
Both were flyable without much walking around. I could hold an upside down hover with both. Right-side up hover wasn't possible without footwork.
The midvent had little to no pressure on the sail, the SUL had nice pressure.
I should note that the sail on the midvent is in poor condition and comparisons aren't totally fair, but in this situation, I preferred the SUL.

I envision the midvent being useful for flying in winds that go up and down between SUL and Vented. We have often had that situation when 180GO! is flying. When the wind drops to SUL level, the midvent is still flyable. When the wind picks up to vented level, the midvent would tame the gusty winds. An example is the video of 180GO! flying at Perry Farms. The kites are clearly overpowered in the beginning of the video, though the wind tames towards the end.. I wonder if Midvents would have been the perfect kite in that situation. I'm thinking the midvent is a safe choice for winds between 5 and 12.

I haven't decided yet...

TeamTrejo

Re: My Revs--and Discussion Of A Midvent Rev.

Postby TeamTrejo » Sat, Nov 01 2008, 09:21 PM

I still like the idea of some sort of light weight removable panel to cover up one of the vents.

Return to “General Discussion”