Nutrition and Recipes

Talk about anything you want
Babbman

Nutrition and Recipes

Postby Babbman » Sun, Oct 19 2008, 07:20 AM

I do all the cooking in my house. My wife just doesn't like to do it. Been doing it for 15 years now...

In all the time I have been cooking though, I've hated it. From having to figure out how to cook for 1, then 2 and now 3 to doing the shopping to trying to plan the meals, it's been awful. It was to the point where every meal was either meat and a box of store bought crap or eating out. Shopping was as much fun as going to the dentist and I was throwing out almost as much food as we were eating... I couldn't follow a recipe to save my life and every time I tried, I was short on some ingredient...

I finally got fed up about 2 months ago and I really mean fed up... I started searching the web to see if I could find something better... a recipe site that fit me or just something...

I came across Relish! ( www.relishsecure.com ) which provides a list of recipes to choose from each week and once you've chosen what you want, it spits out a shopping list and the recipes themselves in a nice little package.

It costs about $7 a month but I was so fed up that I had to try SOMETHING!

We tried the trial menu ( http://www.relishrelish.com/menu-planning.html ) for a week and weren't just impressed, but really kind of shocked. For me, having a list of stuff to get was a life saver and a money saver. The recipes were easy to prepare and I had everything on hand.

I don't want to sound like an ad or anything but this site saved by butt in a number of ways..:

We save money
No leftovers.
No large quantities of unused food thrown out at the end of the week.
Cooking has become a joy rather than a chore.
Shopping has become a joy rather than a chore.
We haven't eaten out since I started using the site. (that saves us as much $$ as I spend on groceries)
Rarely more than 30 mins to prepare an entire meal.
New foods we never ate before and just love.
Excellent portion control. We are never overfull.
Weekly food bill is about $60 for 3 people (dinners only)
Great attention paid by relish to use affordable ingredients and recipes that help you use up everything you buy.
I've lost 20 lbs... None of my clothes fit any more...lol My wife is losing too.
The meals have more flavor and are far healthier than anything I was cooking before.
My sleeping habits have completely changed... no more daily crashes
We feel better over all.
I can't wait to see what my cholesterol has done.
I just cannot believe that what I put together is so easy and tastes so good.

So for me, spending an hour on the web looking for something to help me out in the kitchen has literally changed most everything in our lives for the better.

we've been doing it this way now for about 5 weeks and I am so happy cooking that I can't wait to get home every night to do it.

So there...

If you try it and like it, please put Chris Babb in as your reference when signing up..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Re: Nutrition And Recipes

Postby Jeff » Sun, Oct 19 2008, 10:37 AM

We have much the same problem. Susan cooks most of the time since I don't get home early enough, but it's a constant hassle. It seems thinking of something different to eat is the hardest part.

I had looked at a newsletter based service before for this ( https://thescramble.com/ ) that looked pretty promising, but never followed through with it.

I'll definitely give this one a look.
Last edited by Jeff on Sun, Oct 19 2008, 10:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Oct 19 2008, 11:00 AM

Hmm. I'm having trouble with the link to the free trial. I get a security certificate mismatch, and if I override it, I still get an error at the site...

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Re: Nutrition and Recipes

Postby Babbman » Sun, Oct 19 2008, 12:01 PM

they must be having a problem today as I get the same error when I try to log into my account..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Oct 19 2008, 05:49 PM

I sent an email notifying them about the error when I tried to do the free trial, and they responded..."Sorry about that, just go to the website relishrelish.com and enter "freetrial" in the redeem a voucher box on the front page."

So I did that, and it worked.

IKE is on Image too!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Oct 19 2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks Babb... i'll pass it on to Marla! :up:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Oct 20 2008, 09:19 PM

Signed up for the trial, picked a menu last night. We did the first recipe tonight...ziti with roasted vegetables and the Walnut & Parmesan Bruschetta .

:up:

It was outstanding.

I could totally get into this. It's a pretty easy way to plan, as long as the quality stays good, and the others this week look promising.

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Oct 21 2008, 07:17 PM

Reporting on day 2. Another good one. Had the baked potato soup. The one thing we changed was to purée the soup with a stick blender. We just like that consistency better. Very good, though. It's so nice to have an expanded menu.
Last edited by Jeff on Wed, Oct 22 2008, 12:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.

IKE is on Image too!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Oct 21 2008, 10:44 PM

Yesterday, Jo Ann made the apple salad that Chris brought to the picnic. If that's representative of the rest of the recipes, you might be onto something ... it was pretty good!

Cheers,
Tom

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Oct 24 2008, 10:57 AM

Had another tasty and easy meal last night...Roasted pork loin with potatoes and onion and pears. I would not have thought to put those together, but it's another instant favorite.

I've gone ahead and subscribed. I put your name in for the referral, Chris. Thanks for the tip. I'm really liking it! :up:

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Oct 24 2008, 04:16 PM

for some reason, seeing people get into this site and the food really makes me smile big...

We did the Pork the other night. I was really impressed by using fennel seed which is something that I would not have thought to be very good on meat...

The gorgonzola butter we had on the steaks the other night was awesome. I have such a collection of cheeses in my fridge that it's frightening... All of them previously thought to be stinky... but all so good...

We have been so fantastically happy with the site and the meals. That's not to say there isn't a clunker or 2 on occasion, but really, we don't like going out to eat any more because our food is just so much better and the variety is great...

Verry happy to have turned you on to it...

We are doing the eggplant and fontina panini tonight... yummy!

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Nov 18 2008, 11:06 AM

Had the pork with apple rings last night. So good.

A friend of ours has signed up now too after hearing about it from us.

The only difference with my experience from yours, Chris, is that I'm not losing any weight. Maybe the food is so good I eat more of it. :-)

Does your daughter eat the same meals as you guys? It's hard to get Kayla to eat the same thing, and usually we have to make her something else anyway. Do you size the menu for 2 or 4? We've been doing 4 and keeping the leftovers. I'm thinking maybe we should just do 2 if I want to see any weight loss. :roll:

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Nov 18 2008, 02:03 PM

Jeff wrote:Had the pork with apple rings last night. So good.

A friend of ours has signed up now too after hearing about it from us.

The only difference with my experience from yours, Chris, is that I'm not losing any weight. Maybe the food is so good I eat more of it. :-)

Does your daughter eat the same meals as you guys? It's hard to get Kayla to eat the same thing, and usually we have to make her something else anyway. Do you size the menu for 2 or 4? We've been doing 4 and keeping the leftovers. I'm thinking maybe we should just do 2 if I want to see any weight loss. :roll:

the big thing for us was that most boxed foods are for 4 and we would try to eat everything up... we don't keep left overs, they just turn into piles of dripping goo int he fridge..

We cook for 2 which keeps the amounts down and that was good for us and our weight. Plus, we were just eating crappy before...

Elie doesn't like anything and I always have to do something separate or unseasoned for her... for example, she loves chicken, green beans and lemon. But god help me if I put lemon on either, as she won't eat any of it.

The asian ribs are incredible this week and the Basil Jack Meat Loaf was just ok...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jan 15 2009, 08:59 PM

Oh man, good week on Relish, eh Chris?

The pork with the pomegranate and fennel relish... Holy cow, that was awesome.

This site better not ever go away, because I am way to used to eating well now. :D

Our neighbors that signed on are totally hooked, and there's another friend we just told about it...

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jan 19 2009, 06:48 AM

Jeff wrote:Oh man, good week on Relish, eh Chris?

The pork with the pomegranate and fennel relish... Holy cow, that was awesome.

This site better not ever go away, because I am way to used to eating well now. :D

Our neighbors that signed on are totally hooked, and there's another friend we just told about it...

They are doing something very right... We enjoyed the pork dish also. I've gotten enough people to sign up that they gave me a year free! lol...

One of our favorites so far has been the french onion soup... I didn't slow cook it though, I just caramelized the onions and put it together. I also toasted up pita bread, cut it into wedges and used it instead of the french bread... It held up way better and wasn't soggy... I hate soggy bread... And of course, I used sliced baby swiss rather than shredded bagged crap.. Lorraine swiss would be better though, IMHO. Funny thing was that they didn't say what to do with the stew meat, so I cooked it up and braised it in red wine until it was tenderized and tasty and dropped it in the soup.

They have a bunch of slow cooker meals this week. I'm not really fond of them though... I prefer something I can make on the spot rather than having to put things together.

I've really gotten into this cooking thing. Saturday, I made a pound of butter (really good and unsalted and so easy to do) and baked up a few dozen cookies... Then I made up pasta dough, rolled it and made my own ravioli.. It was delicious... Ricotta, mascarpone, orange zest, fresh thyme and italian sausage... little pillows of heaven.

FoodTV is almost the only station on my TV all week now... Good Eats has become my favorite show, along with chopped, URS and of course, Iron Chef America... Alton Brown is hilarious and I learn a lot from it.

Over the holidays, I bought a Kitchenaid Artisan Stand Mixer and a Williams Sonoma Convection Oven.

Along with sewing, my pussification has been completed...

:rotfl

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jan 19 2009, 10:16 AM

Babbman wrote:
They have a bunch of slow cooker meals this week. I'm not really fond of them though... I prefer something I can make on the spot rather than having to put things together.

I've really gotten into this cooking thing. Saturday, I made a pound of butter (really good and unsalted and so easy to do) and baked up a few dozen cookies... Then I made up pasta dough, rolled it and made my own ravioli.. It was delicious... Ricotta, mascarpone, orange zest, fresh thyme and italian sausage... little pillows of heaven.

FoodTV is almost the only station on my TV all week now... Good Eats has become my favorite show, along with chopped, URS and of course, Iron Chef America... Alton Brown is hilarious and I learn a lot from it.

Over the holidays, I bought a Kitchenaid Artisan Stand Mixer and a Williams Sonoma Convection Oven.

Along with sewing, my pussification has been completed...

:rotfl

That's probably the one thing that we haven't had the best luck with...the crockpot meals. The ribs from a couple weeks ago were good, but several other things haven't been that great, so we generally avoid the crockpot meals.

We just got a new set of cookware. Our old stuff was over 10 years old, mismatched, and not in real good shape any more. We got some money from my dad at Christmas, and put it toward some good All-Clad stuff. That should last us forever! :up:

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Feb 04 2009, 08:30 PM

Had the chicken with the roasted pistachio pesto tonight.

Holy moley. That was AWESOME.

And surprisingly, the halibut with grapfruit a couple days ago... AWE...SOME.

We're eating like kings over here. :P

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Feb 05 2009, 06:25 AM

we did a couple of the soups this week. These were awesome also.

I opted to make my own gnocchi's for the chicken & gnocchi soup and was just blown away at how good everything was.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “Not Kites”