Attn: Kankakee / Bourbonnais residents

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
denverberry

Re: Attn: Kankakee / Bourbonnais Residents

Postby denverberry » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 12:32 AM

Thanks for that Ken, it's great hearing all the "behind the scenes" on you guys...
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

Mike

Re: Attn: Kankakee / Bourbonnais residents

Postby Mike » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 07:40 AM

The newspaper photo came out on the web today. Ken is an amazing flier. I mean look at this, he's flying two revs, one in each hand! (at least that's what the photo looks like)
[imglr=left]http://daily-journal.com/archives/photog/photos/bignails/11-12-06_11-18-06/11-18-06/perryfarm/kites1.jpg[/imglr]

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 09:08 AM

I cleaned up the photo a little and put on the text, just in case Denny or Steve don't manage to get a copy of the paper.
Heeeeeeere's Ken:

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 09:06 PM

Mike that's so awsome, thanks for that. Ken, are you teaching the 2 Rev technique :wink: Nicely done guys...
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 09:49 PM

Mike is the "old timer" here :lol: , so I think he has the most history :roll: Seriously, he's been flying the longest and really put the idea in my head.

I just met Mike and Ken this spring at Perry Farm, where I was trying to get my dual line to do something cool. Then I saw this guy flying this really weird looking kite, with even weirder looking handles, and making that kite do things that looked absolutely impossible to do. I started talking to him, and he asked if I wanted to give it a try. I thought sure, I didn't know it was supposed to be hard to fly a quad :wink: A couple of weeks later I had bought one, and I haven't looked back since..... :revspin:

:offtopic:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:16 PM

The picture sure does look like I am flying two kites, well you guys said I should learn how to single hand two kites at once. Well it looks like I have mastered it. :rotfl :rotfl :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Invis

Postby Invis » Tue, Nov 21 2006, 07:18 AM

Man, get busy for one week and you guys post a month worth of stuff! Sorry I missed the Perry Farm gig. I was here in town with not a lot to do. I completly forgot to check if anyone was flying. Right here in my back yard ! If you guys ever show up in my neck of the woods and I'm not there....CALL ME! :rotfl I'll russel up some copies of the newspaper. I'm working Friday(busiest shopping day of the year) but I'll watch and see where you guys end up and if it's not too far to get away I will try to sneak off.
Invis

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Nov 21 2006, 05:33 PM

IKE History from the Babbman point of view

Through the winter of 2005, I listened to my daughter Elie singing 'Let's Go Fly A Kite' from Mary Poppins... come spring, she bugged me every day to get her a kite. So I did... And because she had one, I had to get one. That's it in a nut shell. From that moment in time, life seems blurred in a frenzy of flying things and wind and Kite web sites and stuff...

When I went to get my kite, I got a delta from the local hobby shop and got the strangest look from the sales guy. He said in hushed tones... "you know this is a stunt kite and has 2 lines, right?". In all honesty, I had no idea and no clue. I told him that was find and he warned me that most people bring them back when they find out there are 2 lines...

Well, I took the family out, put Elie's kite up for her and her and my wife sat there oggling her SLI. In the mean time, I set up my Pioneer Vision, pulled the handles and quite honestly, my head exploded at the concept that I had a kite I could control. The next day, I couldn't wait to go out again, packed up the family and repeated the day before. Uh, unfortunately though, there was no wind that day and at some point, I remember my wife saying "Did you FALL!?!?" as I tripped over my feet in the frenzy to put up that kite.

At that point, I was obviously hooked and started looking around the web for more information. I found a very friendly kite dealer (Kent) in Vegas and bought an Acrobatx and a parafoil for Elie. Kent also put the bug in my ear for a Rev... Hey, he said, if you want something REALLY cool, get a Revolution. So I did and from that point on (and 15 kites later) I am obsessed...

I spent the summer flying and frustrated with the wind but somehow, I figured out how to do the basics. I asked Dave at Chicago Kite if there were any kite clubs in the area and he said there used to be... but not really anything now...

At the end of September, Chris Rizzuto e-mailed me and told me about the Quad Festival Google group that had been setup. I immediately jumped on the board. I had just missed the Dekalb festival but was invited to the Naperville Festival in October. It's really a lot more fun flying with others than by myself... and I had more than a great time meeting everyone and flying with them...

As we were all standing there around 1 or 2 pm, attempting to team fly, Mike brought up the idea of a Kite club and within a few mins, IKE was born.

Since then, I have been flying as much as my schedule permits and have thrown myself full force into working with Mike, Chris and Ken in getting us on the web. This has been a very rewarding experience and for anyone interested, the entire club has been designed and developed on the Internet, pretty much right in these forums. The internet is an amazing tool and the ability to communicant in real time is incredible.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Nov 22 2006, 12:14 AM

Thanks Denny, sorry for not dropping a dime. Wont happen again, I promise. :wink: :wink: :oops:

Ken
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Invis

Postby Invis » Wed, Nov 22 2006, 09:09 AM

Here is my tidbit of Rev history.
Around the time of the first Perry Farm Kite Festival I accuired my first Rev from an oldtime area kite flier that was having health problems and could not fly anymore. I networked his two home computers in exchange for a slightly used RevII.
I took my new kite to the festival the next week and had a heck of a time learning how to fly it as I had never even seen a Rev before.
After a few hours of crashing the thing to the ground (I was an avid dualie) I put the thing back in the bag for a later date.
Later that day as I was busy running the kite hospital I looked out on the field and saw some agile guy flying the heck out of a Rev much larger than mine. I quick grabbed my new toy and headed for the stranger with the dancing kite. The guy had drawn an audience and when I walked up and told him my trouble flying my new Rev he downed his kite and grabbed my lines in a heartbeat. An hour later I was well on my way to mastering basic Rev movements. I've been hooked on Revs ever since. Thanks Mike!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Nov 29 2006, 08:28 PM

That's pretty neat that you guys made the papers! :up: i live relatively close to Perry Farms. My brother-in-law knows the people that donated the park.

i once took a close-up picture of the most gorgeous yellow Swallowtail Butterfly at Perry Farm. Sometime i'll have to upload the pic for you guys! What a flyer! 8) ... she makes our kites look bad!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”