Embroidery

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Jeepster

Embroidery

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Sep 18 2008, 07:58 AM

A friend of mine was kind enough to turn the IKE shirt emblem into a digitized embroidery file. It's in the .pes format which is necessary for my wife's Brother sewing/embroidery machine. The file has a few idiosycracies, so I'd rather not place it in the download section. Like the shirt front emblem, it's 4 inches tall by 3 1/4 inches wide. Using it is not an easy undertaking ... seems there are over 20,000 stitches, for thread changes and it takes over an hour to do one pattern. I made a bag for my kite lines and embroidered the IKE emblem on the front of it. I had fun investigating what it takes to go from a .tif file picture to a .pes file embroidery pattern, but frankly the patches from Chris are so much easier.

If you think our kites are expensive, you should look into the cost of the software to produce an embroidery pattern. After we'd finished the pattern ... version 5 or 6 that is ... I asked him the cost of the software. The software is very versatile and neat, but come on it's just for fancy sewing. In my mind I was thinking it would cost a couple of hundred dollars ... nope, try over a thousand dollars.

If anyone has an interest in using the file to do embroidery, simply PM me. My friend has no problem with me sharing the file as long as it's for personal use.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Re: Embroidery

Postby Mike » Thu, Sep 18 2008, 09:06 AM

Are you saying that it takes a home embroidery machine 1 hour to sew one IKE logo?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Sep 18 2008, 09:12 AM

Mike wrote:Are you saying that it takes a home embroidery machine 1 hour to sew one IKE logo?

Yep!

20,000+ stitches at 350 stitches per hour is 57 minutes. Plus, the sewing machine has some slow time. Plus, thread changes.

A little more thrilling than watching grass grow, but not something you'd want to do repetitively.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Sep 19 2008, 03:12 PM

:lol: Does this mean you have gotten your patches?
TTFN,
Draftnik

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Sep 19 2008, 07:34 PM

Draftnik wrote::lol: Does this mean you have gotten your patches?

Chris,

Yes, they arrived this afternoon ... thanks!

Cheers,
Tom

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Sep 20 2008, 03:42 PM

Wow, that is very interesting. I never knew about that. I have a brother sewing machine, more mechanical/electrical than anything,... what kind of brother sewing machine are talking about? that uses software...
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Sep 20 2008, 06:53 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:Wow, that is very interesting. I never knew about that. I have a brother sewing machine, more mechanical/electrical than anything,... what kind of brother sewing machine are talking about? that uses software...

Hello Hector,

It's a Brother Innovis 1200. Has a small computer-like touch screen to bring up stitches, built-in embroidery patterns, set top thread tension, and other stuff. It's a neat sewing machine with about a bazillion options built in to the software, but everything does have to be just right. Plus, like a computer, it resets itself to the defaults every time it's turned off. You need to write down all of the stitch settings or start over with the little scraps of fabric.

Most of the time I use the old Kenmore I bought her in the early 70's ... she almost pitched it when she bought the new machine. The Kenmore will almost sew two 2x4s together. The mechanical settings are right there in front of you all the time and there are only about three options ... well, maybe a few more than that. But at least the number of options are more commensurate with my sewing capability.

Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Sewing”