Noise Or Music Makers For Kites

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
firstfold

Noise Or Music Makers For Kites

Postby firstfold » Mon, Sep 08 2008, 12:02 AM

Does anyone have a source for buying or making inexpensive noise makers or music makers for kites?

I am constructiong a very unusual wind powered origami model (on the ground) and I would like to attach somthing that will make sounds, I have seen a few kite flutes and whistles but need a source where I can buy or build these objects. The model will have a windmill like structure that drives a kaleidoscopic display created buy the shadows of patterns folds. They need to be light weight and make noise (preferably somehwat music like) as wind passes over the object.

I had considered Aeolian harps but these are rather expensice.

I will call this creation the:
"Aeolian Shadow Shifter"

Any ideas for help?

Charles "Doc" Santee
Forstfold.net

Draftnik

Re: Noise Or Music Makers For Kites

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Sep 08 2008, 01:34 AM

Maybe a buzzer would work. I wish I could tell you were to find directions for one but I can't remember any. They're most likely seen on Japanese kites, IRC. They are simple, small pieces of paper folded over a spar that sorta clap together in the wind and make a buzzing sound.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 08 2008, 07:15 AM

The buzzers I've seen on Japanese kites consisted of a piece of paper glued over a taut string behind, and just below the top, of the kite. They relied on the kite sail being as tight as a drum in order to broadcast the sound though.

Can you post a photo of your project (or maybe a video?)
If it doesn't actually fly, perhaps you would like to mount it on an aeolian harp.

You can make the harp yourself. I've seen a couple different versions that club members have built with basic materials.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Sep 08 2008, 09:38 PM

Try looking at the party store for kids whistles. The kind that are kind of long and light weight plastic. I have seen those kind attached to kites for tails, in pictures from kite making books. Sorry but I dont have any picture to up load to show you. The whistles have a high pitch sound when blown through. Some times they have like snake shaped head on the far end where the air comes out.

Hope this helps Charles. Would love to see picture of your finished project too. Sounds interesting.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

firstfold

Postby firstfold » Fri, Sep 12 2008, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the intrest in my project. Here is a picture of the model at this point:

Here is a link to s short video so you can see the model in operation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/2849201736/

I'm stiill figuring a way to make sound with this, so additional suggestions are welcome.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Sep 12 2008, 09:27 PM

That's really cool! Folding those gears looks likes quite a challenge.
I would expect this would handle only light breezes, so make sure that the wind instrument will also play in very light winds.

Return to “General Discussion”