Favorite Weather Per Hour Sites For Illinois

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Knoted4ever

Favorite Weather Per Hour Sites For Illinois

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Nov 28 2006, 09:21 PM

These are my favorite weather per hour web sites for Czechoslovakia.

Ok, these are for Illinois, actually! The top one is one of the best, IMHO. All can differ and each one has its own merits and faults! i rely on these babies a lot, especially the day before going out! Often i compare all of them! Needless the say, the wind velocities are what is :shock: looked at to a large degree.

It's nice to know though, that, even with all their fancy super-computers, the meteorologists still screw things up significantly! :roll:

It would be neat if we had some kind of link or mini-view for an Illinois weather guide of our basic area (on the main Forum or Home page or something similar)!

These are listed for the Kankakee area, which you may wish to change, depending were you are (or aren't)!

http://www.weatherperhour.com/forecast/ ... p?pc=60901

http://weather.msn.com/hourly.aspx?weal ... c:USIL0601

http://wabcweather.abclocal.go.com/wabc ... mit3=GO%21

The following is an excellent 7 day forecast guide:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/ILZ02 ... y=Kankakee
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Re: Favorite Weather Per Hour Sites For Illinois

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 28 2006, 09:37 PM

those are good, don't forget the link to the hourly graph that's on the NOAA page.

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Tue, Nov 28 2006, 09:39 PM

$$$ Well if you have money to spend $$$, install weather station equipment at the flight sites, link them to the IKE homepage, and take the guesswork just one step closer. I know it wouldn't tell you what the wind will be by the time you get there, but...

I've got all this mindless babble running through my head. :wohow:
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Tue, Nov 28 2006, 09:42 PM

Driving high profile vehicles for a living I have to keep an eye to the sky, here's what I like to use while planning my trip.

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsv ... gmain.html
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Nov 28 2006, 10:09 PM

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Nov 28 2006, 11:26 PM

I like this to check current wind conditions. At least on a large scale...

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con_wspd.html
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Nov 29 2006, 08:15 AM

denverberry wrote:$$$ Well if you have money to spend $$$, install weather station equipment at the flight sites

That always been my dream. A wind meter that you can mount on your roof and read wireslessly in the house isn't too expensive. But I can't see it being very accurate with the roof deflecting the wind and all. What I would like to do is have a wind meter that would connect via wi-fi and mount it at the flying field. Now that would be cool.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Nov 29 2006, 08:11 PM

More towards when i began flying, i had an E2 sport kite that had a wind meter unit that came with it. Although it was rather crude, it worked remarkably well. Any more i never use the wind meter. Once i arrive at the flying field i can tell right away which kite i need to pull out of the bag; and, so far, i've been correct 100% of the time. Of couse, after a significant amount of time, the wind may change and i'll have to change kites.

By the way, with that E2 wind meter, one has to (if the wind is rather high) tap one's index finger on the top of it, for it to work properly. Once, when i was flying at the Kankakee fairgrounds, i pulled up the car, got out, and began testing the wind with the meter. i noticed a car at the far end of the field as i did this... and decided, due to the direction of the wind, to drive over and to fly near where that car was situated. Well, it turned out that an adult couple, in that car, were having an afair! As i pulled up close to the car... a super-hot blond jumped out of the car and frantically ran (and even slipped as she ran) to her car. She sped off crazily... as the guy in his car gave me dirty looks and then drove off (very frustrated)! From a distance, my wind meter probably looked like a camera; i was facing it towards them, as i tapped the top of it with my index finger. The woman probably thought i was procuring photos for her husband's lawyer! :wink: That day i flew with an even bigger smile :-) on my face than usual! What a louse!... he could have at least taken her somewhere a little classier than the dirt road adjacent to the fairgrounds!

Maybe they should rename it: The Kankakee Afairgrounds! :wink:
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Nov 29 2006, 08:41 PM

Mike wrote: A wind meter that you can mount on your roof and read wireslessly in the house isn't too expensive.

You need our littlest flyer. She'll look at the tree tops in the morning and announce, on the appropriate days, in an old grandmotherly way, "Good day to fly kites." :mrviolet: 4 years old and she's already a walking wind meter! :wink:
TTFN,
Draftnik

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Thu, Nov 30 2006, 01:14 AM

Alright!!! Draft, that's just too cool!
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Nov 30 2006, 06:24 AM

knoted4ever: funny story!
Draftnik: what a cutie! It's taken me years to teach my wife that when she looks outside and says it's a nice day, she should be looking at the trees and not just the sky. :-D

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Nov 30 2006, 09:28 PM

Mike wrote:knoted4ever: funny story!
Draftnik: what a cutie! It's taken me years to teach my wife that when she looks outside and says it's a nice day, she should be looking at the trees and not just the sky. :-D

i never look at the trees quite in the same way anymore! :wink:
Tom P.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Aug 03 2007, 09:38 PM

Speaking of weather sites...well, nobody was, but I am... Check this out. It's seriously cool.

http://www.weatherbonk.com/

It combines forecast information from 4 sources, and current, live updated conditions from actual weather stations on an interactive map. Also, fetches web cams nearby to the area you are viewing.

When you click on "power map," the map enlarges and you can change the icons to wind barbs, and at a glance, see the current wind conditions in just about any area! 8)

And if that's not cool enough, there is a Google Earth link at the top of the map. All this data can be viewed through a network link in Google Earth.

I give this site, 2 thumbs up. :up: :up:

And 4 spinning Revs. :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin:

:lol:
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Aug 04 2007, 05:39 AM

Pretty cool! Thanks!

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Sat, Aug 04 2007, 03:46 PM

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Aug 04 2007, 09:19 PM

Thanks, Dave!

Here's a 10 day site that i like a lot because, unlike most other sites, it includes a lot of wind data... not that it's any more accurate! It does give one a general idea of what one may encounter! :beat
Tom P.

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Mon, Aug 06 2007, 11:12 PM

Jeff, if you stop looking at your electronic gizmo and look behind you, you would have seen the clouds coming in sooner. :rotfl (I had to give you a hard time on that :wink: )

I use the good old method. Hair frizzy - humid out, hair blowing a lot - windy even tells me the direction, canopy swing falling and breaking foot, extremely windy. Think I'll skip the canopy swing method out.

Return to “Club Discussion”