Club Fly: Saturday, June 28 at Pontiac,IL

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Frodos Majik

Re: Club Fly: Saturday, June 28 at Pontiac,IL

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Jun 20 2008, 11:59 PM

Sorry to hear you wont be able to make it Shawn. Have fun on your little road trip though.

hope you dont eat to much chocolate while in Hershey.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jeepster

Re: Club Fly: Saturday, June 28 At Pontiac,IL

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 06:22 PM

Saturday is just starting to come in at the edge of the screen. Prediction is for 12 mph winds and touching 80 degrees. Looks like Mike picked a good day for kites.

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/ ... T&state=IL

I use the above website to plan for RC flying ... it's come in handy to plan for kite flying also. What do others use to scope out the future winds at a particular location?

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 07:15 PM

I use the national weather service page:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical

Ann

Postby Ann » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 10:44 PM

Sorry to miss out on the club fly; we will be on the beach in Warren Dunes at a brand new competition. Hope to see you guys soon!

Ann

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Jun 26 2008, 08:44 PM

Looks like Marla will not :( be coming; she is going to a birthday party, in Plainfield, for a niece and nephew; i get out of going to that one!

A few people from work may show up with their kites.

:clubfly:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Jun 27 2008, 07:02 PM

Sorry guys but I won't be joining you on Sat. Please have fun!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jun 27 2008, 08:46 PM

Babbman wrote:...Please have fun!

If you insist!

They're calling for big winds tomorrow--bring your vented sport kites and strong line for your SLKs!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Jun 28 2008, 10:27 PM

If you didn't make it to the Quick Fly in Pontiac today, that was probably a good thing. You should seriously consider staying away from events like this! See, Mike Kory and Mike Stephenson were up to their old tricks ... trying to infect others with this kite virus. Let me explain:

1) I show up with a non-vented REV ... the winds were already in the high teens. Mike Kory said that would never do and gave me a vented REV to fly. Wow, it is really smooth in high winds ... hmmm; I really do like it. Yep, now I've got to have a vented kite.

2) Not to be out done, Mike Stephenson made me fly his REV II kite ... what a blast. The REV II covered up my lack of smoothness, and since I could keep it in the air, it felt like a success. Maybe I'll put it on the list right after the vented kite.

3) So, Mike Kory, not to be out done, makes me fly his REV stack ... REV II, REV 1.5 and a REV I. What an opportunity for a new experience and what a blast. Anybody know where you can get your arms re-shorten. In today's winds, that stack really pulled ... got to watch Rose slide across the grass on her backside. I hope I’m strong enough to resist putting a stack on the list …

4) Then Mike Kory told me he’d loan me a set of 120-foot lines so I could fly with him. That sounded like fun ... right up until the other two guys walked up. They put me in position three and told me to follow the leader. I think they wanted to practice their routine while dodging a wayward kite. I still don’t understand why everyone clapped when Ken threaded the lines and everyone sighed when I threaded their lines … I guess my “trickâ€
Last edited by Jeepster on Sat, Jun 28 2008, 10:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sat, Jun 28 2008, 10:43 PM

Tom

Didn't I tell you specifically not to get mixed up with that bunch of hooligans?
I just knew that would happen!
Next time take my advice and stay away from those people.

Now I'm sounding like my mother, bless her heart.

Glad you had a good time. :up:
Last edited by Jim Foster on Sat, Jun 28 2008, 10:48 PM, edited 2 times in total.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Jun 29 2008, 12:46 AM

Tom (Peoria Tom) and Steve did a very nice job for the first time flying with a group! It's funny about how so many of us in the club have first names to share with others! :shock:

i'm sorry that i missed the dinner at the end (i'm fond of the Pontiac Buffet)... but it was a good thing that i got home (when i told Marla i would). Marla didn't return from the birthday party in Plainfield until way later in the evening; our older dog pukes all over everything if she doen't eat much after 5PM.

It was so cool to see Myrna flying that dual box kite with so much zeal and joy! She wanted to keep it intact and fully assembled as she wants to fly it again in a couple of days! i'll keep her informed about upcoming Flies at Pontiac and regarding the Perry Farm Festival.

Besides my kites, i'm getting our bicycles out tomorrow! Why does my bicycle rest on one leg?
Because it it two tired.
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Pkrekel

Postby Pkrekel » Sun, Jun 29 2008, 08:40 AM

I had great time and it was nice meeting new members. Here are some photos I took and check out the new tattoo on Nick.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26121595@N06/sets/72157605880474097/

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jun 29 2008, 09:56 AM

Nice photos, Paul. Some real good shots in there.

Nick's tattoo was caused by one of those metal screw-in dog stakes pulling loose. I stopped using those for that reason. They seem to pull loose easier from dry summer soils. As a comparison, I had a kite anchored to two regular wal-mart tent stakes. The kite pulled hard enough to break the kite line, but the stakes never came out.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Sun, Jun 29 2008, 09:56 PM

Hello...

We had a wonderful time at the club Fly on Saturday. :clubfly:
It was alot of fun and we really enjoyed meeting new club members, Joanne and Tom Clark. :welcome1: We loved seeing Patty and Steve there also. :revspin: :L It was really nice to see Ken and Chrissy there too, thanks for putting up the canopy and bringing the bolo and bag toss games. :thanks: Can't wait til the next one up North. :up: It was really nice to see Mike and Rose too. :LogoRevAni: Paul enjoyed watching you have fun with that stack...not sure what it was called. :?: Hope we can see everyone again at an upcoming event also. :!:

Looking forward to some upcoming events also. 8)

Mike S

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Jun 30 2008, 01:41 AM

It was great seeing everybody yesterday and putting a face on Jeepster and meeting his wife. No problem with bringing the games, will do it anytime. The high winds sure made for an interesting game playing.

Tom and Steve you guys were doing fine with the group flying, everybody think they are doing good with their flying till it gets mixed in with others. Then you find out where your weak points are, and it helps with advancing your experience of what, where and how to. and NEVER worry about how bad you think you are doing, because EACH and EVERYONE of us were where you are, and understand what you are going through. :up:

I was really glad my Krissy joined me out at the club/picnic day, slow but surely she is warming up to everybody. It just takes her a while to come around.

and dont think for a minute Nick that you can walk away that easy with those wins.
It aint over by a long shot! :twisted:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Pkrekel

Postby Pkrekel » Mon, Jun 30 2008, 09:14 AM

Paul enjoyed watching you have fun with that stack...not sure what it was called. :thanks:

It is called the Stunt Master from http://www.dynakite.com/.
I just ordered the replacement sail for the one that got ripped and I also ordered 4 more kites.
A ten stack, wow I just can not wait to fly them.

:dualspin:

Jim Foster

A Side Note On Dyna Kites

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Jun 30 2008, 02:42 PM

[quote user=

It is called the Stunt Master from http://www.dynakite.com/.
I just ordered the replacement sail for the one that got ripped and I also ordered 4 more kites.
A ten stack, wow I just can not wait to fly them.

:dualspin:[/quote]

The first time Lynn and I attended WSKIF, that was 2003, I took these photos. The one is three progressive stacks of 9 Dyna Kites being flown by Fred Adler of Davis, CA., his wife Jerri and a third person I don't know. The other photo is Ray Bethell and Fred. Fred had added four kites to each stack, making 13. Ray Bethell flew all three stacks at once, setting his world record of 39 kites that , I believe, still stands. In this photo you can see the stacks of 13 kites in the background.
Attachments
P8195848640.jpg
Three progressive stacks of Dyna Kites
P8195848640.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
DSC00177640.jpg
Ray Bethell and Fred Adler after the record setting fly.
DSC00177640.jpg (62.68 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
Last edited by Jim Foster on Tue, Jul 01 2008, 07:15 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 30 2008, 07:14 PM

Just to be clear...
Ray flew three separate stacks of 13 each: one in his left hand, one in his right hand, and one attached to either side of his waist, right?

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Jun 30 2008, 07:55 PM

Right on Mike.

Have you seen Ray fly?

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:17 AM

Jim Foster wrote:Right on Mike.

Have you seen Ray fly?

Yup, he's a been at Grand Haven, MI a couple times.

I helped him do his demo once too. For those that don't know, Ray is deaf. So after we set up his kites in the demo area, he told me to slap him on the back when the music starts--he said not a tap, "slap me hard!". Then he does the routine by memory. Ann, the announcer, told everyone to wave instead of clap when he finished.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Jul 03 2008, 09:39 PM

:clubfly:

Too bad that you couldn't get a pic of your Stunt Master stack, Paul; it looked very nice. i hope that you can repair or replace that torn one easily.

They purchased a bolo ball set for the use of the individuals where i work. We had an independence day celebration at Harmony Park and messed with the bolo ball set with some of the guys today; they had a lot of fun with it!
Tom P.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”