Balloons In June - Clinton IA -> AKA Invite -- This Satur

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Mux11

Balloons In June - Clinton IA -> AKA Invite -- This Satur

Postby Mux11 » Fri, Jun 20 2008, 09:37 AM

Didnt see this posted anywhere else so I thought i would slap it up here.

This is the first year they are having kites with the balloon festival. Dick and Sis invited me to come fly. Would like to see some of the group if your interested.
The schedule has the fly from 12 - 4pm on Saturday (might start flying at 10)

Here is the page for the event
www.balloonsinjune.us

you can contact myself with questions
kite (AT)
Last edited by Mux11 on Fri, Jun 27 2008, 03:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Re: Balloons In June - Clinton IA -> AKA Invite -- This S

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:24 AM

I was out of town and missed this one.
How was it James? Any photos?

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:35 AM

It was very windy all weekend 15-25 and 28 mile gusts got to fly for few hours on sat

www.chicagokite.com

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:51 AM

That's especially a shame for the balloonists.
I was flying in the same sort of strong, gusty winds on Sunday in Canada. But on Saturday we had no wind. On the whole, I prefer the 20 mphs winds to no wind! They had marked off the fields with straw bales. Backing up on the no-wind day made for amusing times as we flipped ass over teakettle over the bales.

I hadn't heard about this balloon festival--with more notice, maybe IKE folks will want to go next year.
Was the kite flying only on Saturday? How many kiters were there? Sport kiters? SLKs?

akillip

Postby akillip » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 12:56 PM

WE WOULD HAVE GONE HAD WE HAD A BIT MORE NOTICE, IS THIS A YEARLY EVENT? HOW BIG IS THE FIELD?

TONY

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 04:16 PM

Yes, and I appologize for not posting it sooner. Hate it when it happens to me.

It was a windy day! Had some lines break and popped a spar on the Rev right after getting it balanced. Taught me a lot about flying in strong wind.

my first sew project was an 8' bowl that took quite a beating (Pulled seams) but stayed bouncing. Image

My sutton flew the diamond tail which got loose once and then the flying line broke at a knot sending the sutton and tail a flying.
Nothing lost and the worst of it was the spar so all in all nothing major. and not like Mike in Naperville having to dive for stuff.

I was psyched because it was my first chance to wear my IKE shirt :up: Image
Last edited by Mux11 on Fri, Jun 27 2008, 03:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

akillip

Postby akillip » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 06:05 PM

The pictures show a great looking flying field, just where is the field located? Will the event be next year again.

Tony

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 07:20 PM

Mux11 wrote:Yes, and I appologize for not posting it sooner. Hate it when it happens to me.

No worries. If you can get us some contact info, we can contact them next year and see if they want us to come.

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 10:24 PM

Did I forget to mention..!!??
It was the balloon fest they had done for dont know how many years at the municiple airport.

We were flying between taxi way and runway 21.
hince the picture of the helicopter that flew in to refuel in the album

It was interesting. They told us we were fine as long as we didnt go over the runway.

it was a good day.

Hawkite

Postby Hawkite » Fri, Jun 27 2008, 12:16 PM

Sis Vogel from Grinnell here. Though not a member of IKE, my husband Dick & I consider ourselves good friends of IKE :up: Since we would really like to stay good friends of IKE, I decided to add a few words to this discussion in order to remedy some misunderstandings - & there seem to have been many along the way. :(

Late in 2007, Paul Schneider, the organizer for Balloons in June contacted us in TX because he had found the Kites Over Grinnell website & was interested in finding kite fliers from Iowa who might agree to fly kites at the 9th Annual Balloon Fest in Clinton. After MUCH back & forth to clarify the festival needs & the requirements of AKA for involvement, the following was agreed upon...

1) The airport was to be closed to all air traffic for the entire weekend (IT WAS NOT!)

2) We would participate & possibly bring some other kiters with us. Kite fliers were to fly only from noon until 4:00 p.m. on Sat. as we were told the grounds would be taken up with a volleyball tournament and the balloons themselves at all :-) other times. (THE TOURNAMENT WAS MOVED TO ANOTHER SITE & THE BALLOONS WERE ON THE FIELD ONLY TWICE - FOR A NIGHT GLOW ON FRIDAY & A TAKE OFF EARLY SUN MORNING.)

3) The organizers requested a referral to a kite vendor as there would be "thousands of people at the airfield all day each day" & we provided the contact info for our friend David at Chicago Kite. We left it up to the organizers to make that contact and arrangements as we were to be guests of the Balloon Fest - it was NOT to be a Kite Fest. (OUR NAMES WERE USED IN A WAY THAT LED TO THE BELIEF THAT THIS WAS TO BE OUR PROJECT)

There was much more in the area of "agreements" & actual conflicting results but the above is enough to mention.

The flying field itself was sandwiched between a runway & the tarmac to the hangars. Due to the rain, it had not been mowed for some time & therefore the longer grass hid the many holes that were in the area. (I found 2 almost knee deep the hard way!)

At the last minute, we were requested & did fly for about 1 hour late Friday afternoon before the balloons went on the field to prepare for the Night Glow. We flew on Sat. - just to have a good time flying as there were no spectators in attendance until mid afternoon when some families arrived looking for kids kite flying lessons. Evidently such lessons had been advertised. However, no one advised us & due to the restricted air space, cny child not related to a flier was not allowed to fly.

More of the public arrived in anticipation of the evening balloon lift-off shortly before the time we were told to leave the field for the same reason. Due to the winds, there was no lift - off so the public left. It should be said that there was great feedback from the spectators both for the hour on Fri. & the brief time on Sat.

There were only a few kite fliers in attendance... James from Davenport who we had met in Naperville & lives only half an hour from Clinton, David & Mike Hall, we Vogels & another couple from our area who is considering getting into kiting. The amount of room we were allotted was almost entirely taken up by we few.

So, why did I not spread the word about the event? It was not our event. The organizers asked for kite fliers from IOWA & I did contact some of them. And, MAINLY, both Dick & I questioned the strength/validity of some of the "agreements" from the very beginning. That DOES NOT mean we believe any of the organizers were being dishonest with us. It does mean that we believe they know all about balloons & balloon events but next to nothing about the needs & provisions for a kiting event. As it turned out, we were correct.

Would we go again if asked? Possibly. Like many others, we believe that a partnership between kites & balloons is full of promise. And, after our experience, we will look for other opportunities to form such partnerships. HOWEVER, we would do many things differently - first & formost, it would be a true partnership with concrete understandings & kiters in charge of the kite flying venue. When & if we are ever involved in anything like that, we WILL let as many people as possible know about the event - way ahead of time & encourage lots of participation.

Sorry this post is so long!! Sure hope we have not offended anyone!! Keep Smiling & Keep Flying!!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jun 27 2008, 01:36 PM

Hawkite wrote:Sis Vogel from Grinnell here. Though not a member of IKE,

Ooops! Too late! By signing on to our forum you are now a member of the club. That's the only requirement and you fulfilled it. :shock:
Welcome! We're thrilled to have you here and I hope it's not your only visit.

Say hi to Dick for us!

Thank you for your explanation. I want you to know that no one has been offended. Really. I'm just always on the lookout for new opportunities to fly our kites and reach the public. It's all about the fun of flying and getting folks involved in the fun.

And personally, I like long posts!

Return to “General Discussion”