Current Projects

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Mux11

Current Projects

Postby Mux11 » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 04:10 PM

Well thought I would throw out the projects that i am currently working on.
the dual panflute from gert
it is cut out and will start sewing probably tonight

Catherine wheel - half way cut out

The Waffel kite - also from Gert -- just ordered my sparing and stuff i will need.

Centepede from Gert (20 stacked rocs) - I am working on the template so I can cut the fabric for that many rocs

Hopefully I can get these done before the end of summer as I would love to fly some of them.

Tell me what your working on!

James - Dav Ia

Jeff

Re: Current Projects

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 04:38 PM

I'm working on learning how to sew. (Or I will when I get a chance.)

All these years on the planet, and I've never learned to use a sewing machine. :oops:
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 10:55 PM

With the slow point of fest, I will be doing some much needed repairs. While out in Grand Haven my spikey ball (Blue Eyed Betty) took on some serious abuse from mother nature on the third day with 20plus winds. She had part of her mouth ripped open. Also my banners need some minor seam repairs. Of course not to mention my unfinished projects from the last two years of MAKR.

To be honest with you James once you start to sew, there is ALWAYS a project or two waiting in the wings to be done or repaired. :roll: :mrblue:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Fri, Jun 20 2008, 09:16 AM

Great to hear your going to pick it up Jeff! I find that it gives me the ability to do something without having to strain my brain too much, depending on the project or part. kind of like my father in law says, mesure twice so you can cut once.. theres been many times where ive had to cut and recut a couple times. the only thing I would say to someone new is its like anything else, dont let it frustrate you to the point of not coming back.

Frodos - Isnt that the truth! There is always one or seven things in the hopper to do! and it drives the wife nuts.

How is MAKR? did you go this year? next year?

Thanks for the response! ~ james

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Fri, Jun 20 2008, 09:42 AM

I've got to repair my big delta, a sudden gust of wind slammed it nose first into the sod and snapped the center spar and ripped out the ends of all the pockets. Three others need minor repair too.
I've also been procrastinating working on my roc. I have the sail built but have to figure out how I'm going to colorize it. The pattern is all drawn on it and I'm wondering if it wants to be batik type dyed or appliquéd.

I've yet to finish my MAKR banner and we have an extra one that hasn't even been started yet.

In Sycamore we have Pumpkin Fest every year and I've designed and gotten the parts to make a bigger than life coffin that should probably be finished before October for a few test flights.

I've only been sewing for a couple of years but already have stacks of things that need work! Hopefully the current pile dwindles before the next one builds up! :oops:
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:36 AM

I don't have anything in the works right now, I do most of my sewing in the winter when it's too cold for me to fly.
I'm even caught up on repairs.

Actually, I would like to make a new 180GO! banner, and adding a few fighter kites might be fun, a new Rok has been on my mind too, or maybe another pilot kite for candy drops....

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 02:41 PM

Lynn just started a new project. She saw the blue and white "lattice work" Rev, that someone made for Ben, at Kite Party 5 in 2007, and has wanted to make one ever since. Well, it finally got the best of her, and she started on it a couple of days ago.

This one will be, you guessed it, red white and blue. The center will be like the vented kites we fly so much, blue with five white stars, the sails will be red and white lattice work.

Lynn and I both fell in love with the way Ben's kite flies.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 03:12 PM

If they have a second set of rods, what do most folks do with them?

I tried just leaving them in the Rev kite travel sleeve ... had to pull them out each time to put them back in at the same time as the kite. It was a little like learning to use chop sticks ... they were all over the place if you weren't careful ... plus I seem to be paranoid about loosing one of them in the grass. Tried using velco to hold them in a bundle ... that worked some what.

Since my wife bought a new monograming machine last year, I made some mini-travel sleeves that hold the five rods ... they are 2" wide by the length of the middle leading edge rod. Copied the style of the Rev travel sleeve for closure. And yes, we did experiment with the monograming and there is a "2" on one mini-travel sleeve and a "3" on the other mini-travel sleeve. They actually work quite well since they are made out of nylon and are very slippery. I leave both of them in the Rev travel sleeve and can easily slide the kite in without snagging it. It was good practice in setting up the sewing machine to sew nylon and learning to hot cut nylon.

But again, what do others do with their extra rods?

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 03:24 PM

Jeepster wrote:
But again, what do others do with their extra rods?

I just carry them in the kite bag loose. Might be nice to have a thin sleeve to keep them together, but I'm not that organized. (Other than my converted guitar travel case.)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 05:11 PM

Jim Foster wrote:Lynn just started a new project. She saw the blue and white "lattice work" Rev, that someone made for Ben, at Kite Party 5 in 2007, and has wanted to make one ever since. Well, it finally got the best of her, and she started on it a couple of days ago.

This one will be, you guessed it, red white and blue. The center will be like the vented kites we fly so much, blue with five white stars, the sails will be red and white lattice work.

Lynn and I both fell in love with the way Ben's kite flies.

That sounds really cool! Tell her to finish it in time for me to fly it at Berkeley :P

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 05:18 PM

Jeepster wrote:If they have a second set of rods, what do most folks do with them?

I made a roll-up bag that has a slot for each type of rod. All the extra 3-wraps are in one slot, all the 2-wraps in another, etc. I don't have an even number complete sets of each, so there might be 7 3 wraps in the 3-wraps slot for example.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 08:09 PM

Mike

Did you fly Ben's lattice kite?

Should be finished by then. This design is for very high wind.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 09:19 PM

Jeepster

Lynn and I each have a bag that carries two sets of lines (75' and 120') three Revs, SUL, 1.5 full sail and 1.5 vented. Lynn made us each a small sleeve that holds one set of two wrap spars to be used as needed in the vented 1.5s. It lives in the kite bag.

We also have a small storage bag that hangs from our belt that carries our handles, one set of lines (100') and has room to stow our stake and sheath, which when flying is on our belt. After setting up the kite, we put the winder and the kite sleeve in the storage bag on our belt.

The belt loop on the small storage bag fits onto a small carabiner attached to the top end of the kite bag. So everything we need is inside one kite bag.

With this bag over our shoulder, we can spend the whole afternoon flying in all wind conditions.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 09:20 PM

Jim Foster wrote:Mike

Did you fly Ben's lattice kite?

Should be finished by then. This design is for very high wind.

Yup, and not always in high wind. It still flies OK. I just think yours will look cool.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:01 PM

I think it will look cool too.

As Lynn is finding, it is a very difficult kite to make. There are 31 separate pieces, not counting the stars applique. The way she is doing it, each piece will have a folded edge and one continous seam on each side. Each side of the sail must have the edges of fifteen pieces double folded and all pieces woven together before the first stitch.

There is no added edge trim planned. Therefore, everything must be done in a certain order to have a "finished" look. All sections should end up the same width, unlike Ben's where the end sections appear narrower. And, she wants it to look just as nice from the back.

She started Sunday, hope to fly by the weekend.

The second one should go a little faster. :roll:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 05:45 AM

Jeepster wrote:But again, what do others do with their extra rods?

I did exactly what you did last year. All my rod bags have a screen window in the center so that I can see the labels on them.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 09:44 AM

Jim Foster wrote:She started Sunday, hope to fly by the weekend.

Start a new thread with photos and details when she's done--we all wanna see!

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 04:03 PM

Mike wrote:
Jim Foster wrote:She started Sunday, hope to fly by the weekend.

Start a new thread with photos and details when she's done--we all wanna see!

Will do.

Lynn just finished sewing all of the seams on both sides of the sail. Now it's the center, and sewing it all together.
Last edited by Jim Foster on Wed, Jun 25 2008, 04:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 04:51 PM

Mike wrote:Start a new thread with photos and details when she's done--we all wanna see!

Jim,

Why wait until she's finished ... wouldn't it be more enjoyable to watch [strike]the birth process[/strike] it being built?

Cheers,
Tom

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Wed, Jun 25 2008, 10:38 PM

Very cool ! As my collection grows I've been thinking of cooking up a bag of some kind.
After saturday I have a few repairs on the bol I made.
Seams pulled on some patches- should start doing the patches in strange colors and it will end up looking like FUGU. hehe

Return to “Sewing”