New Quad Flyer ...

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Jeepster

New Quad Flyer ...

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Jun 07 2008, 08:06 PM

If you're reading this forum, it's probably too late, but just in case I feel it's important to warn folks to stay away from Mike Stephenson. At the Pontiac Kite Festival, his true colors really showed through.

With an innocent smile, he invited me to fly his Rev kite. Little did I suspect that he was infecting me with a terrible virus. By that evening, I couldn't stand the itching ... had to order a Rev kite ... the SLE version. After thinking about it all weekend I found the fever had increased more and more. I researched a cure in IKE and the REV forum all weekend and Monday morning found myself even more hopelessly infected. So, I called up the store and changed the kite order to a B-series.

The B-series arrived yesterday along with 30 mph wind gusts ... nope it's not a vented kite. But, this morning I was able to sneak out before Mother Nature fully woke up and try the kite out. Thanks to Mike's instructions, I was able to fly reasonably well this morning. The wind was gusting from zero to probably 15 mph - not great for a newbie, but a blast none the less.

By the way, he also sold me on owning a sled ... so I have a 1.4 sled for the grandson to fly.

I'm a retired engineer whose main hobby is building and flying RC aircraft. That's why kiting is so attractive ... when the wind speed is too high to have fun with the planes, the kite will come out.

I live in the Peoria area of Illinois ... would love to find someone else in this area to fly with.

Thanks to IKE ,and especially to Mike, for introducing me to quad flying.

Cheers,
Tom

brownssl

Re: New Quad Flyer ...

Postby brownssl » Sat, Jun 07 2008, 08:58 PM

hi tom i live in pontiac if youare going to fly on a sat or sun post the time and place and maybe i could make it and maybe some others could make it i am leaving to naperville in the morning about 9 oclock you can meet me in pontiac pm me to let me know
:SLKani: shawn

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Jun 07 2008, 09:06 PM

Welcome to the Dark Side, Tom!

:revspin:
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jun 07 2008, 09:52 PM

Glad you made it on to the forum. Welcome to the club!
Enjoy your new kite and be sure post any questions you have here. We love to help.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Jun 08 2008, 08:46 PM

Welcome Aboard Tom and also a big welcome to the Darkside. As you have already found out there is NO GOING BACK now!!! Dont feel bad about not getting the vented, if you would have got the vented the winds would have been too light for your first flight with the new kite. Mother Nature does not play fair. :evil: Besides you will end up owning both the sul and vented. :up: Look forward to doing some flying with you when we do a club fly out in pontiac.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Jun 12 2008, 12:47 PM

Oh Tom....you have just entered a very long, dark tunnel from which there is no escape. There is no light at the end of this tunnel, however, when the wind blows, the light will come on wherever you happen to be, and you will fly.

Enjoy, Jim
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 09:30 AM

Tom Welcome! I too re-found kites with KAP (kite aerial photography) and got me looking at the big single lines.
I too got caught in the quad line web and have been learning to fly ever since. If you get a chance to see the IKE guys & Gals at a fest I highly recommend it! They helped me more in 20min that from the person I bought my rev from who spent over 2 hours.

Thanks again IKE!!!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 10:28 AM

Mux11 wrote: ... If you get a chance to see the IKE guys & Gals at a fest I highly recommend it! They helped me more in 20min ...

Thanks again IKE!!!

To all who have welcomed me into the fraternity, my sincere thanks! I really do echo James' exclaimation ... "Thanks again IKE!!!"

I've only received five minutes of hands-on instruction, so have nothing to compare it to. But, the topics that backdraft showed me have stuck with me well. Those are the things that I don't have to think about ... they have become a reflex action. I'm looking forward to the club fly on the 28th. If you can't make it to the club fly, just picture a picture a two-year-old and his/her favorite phrase ... Why? Why? Why? ... that'll be me.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 11:24 AM

Jeepster wrote:

If you can't make it to the club fly, just picture a picture a two-year-old and his/her favorite phrase ... Why? Why? Why? ... that'll be me.

"Ours is not to question "Why?"
Ours is but to fly or die"

Who said that?
Somebody must have said that. :?

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 01:52 PM

Jim Foster wrote:"Ours is not to question "Why?"

Who said that?

I believe it was Alfred Kite Tennyson, in Charge of the Kite Brigade.

(if you're really curious: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/britpo/te ... nChar.html )

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 08:47 PM

Mike wrote:

Who said that?

(if you're really curious: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/britpo/te ... nChar.html )

I'm starting to rethink the concept of learning from you two ... geez please stop encouraging each other.
Last edited by Jeepster on Thu, Jun 19 2008, 08:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 09:01 PM

Jeepster wrote:
I'm starting to rethink the concept of learning from you two ... geez please stop encouraging each other.

You ain't seen nothin' yet. ;-)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Jun 19 2008, 10:39 PM

Jeepster wrote:
Mike wrote:

Who said that?

Mike and I should walk with a limp. Why?

Because we think with one. :up:

Return to “Introductions”