Jeff ...no Clever Nickname... ;-)

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Jeff

Jeff ...no Clever Nickname... ;-)

Postby Jeff » Fri, Nov 24 2006, 10:30 PM

I'll jump in here...I've already met a few of you today at the club fly in Naperville.

I've been flying for all of about 3 months. It had probably been 20ish years since I'd flown a kite, and then we rather spontaneously decided this August to go to the Kite fest at the Chicago Botanical Garden. I had no idea that this was what people are doing with kites today. I was mesmerized, and hooked immediately.
Pics from that day...

That night, I went online and ordered my first kite, an Acrobatx. A few weeks later, I went to Milwaukee for another festival. (MOTS, I think?) Bought a Premier Vision as a backup and a cheap learning kite for anyone else I can hook into the sport.

So I'm just getting my feet wet, but I can see I'll be getting pretty deep into it. I want to work on the dual line for a while and learn technique and tricks, but I also plan on getting into quad at some point. I only wish I had gotten into it years ago.

I'm pretty far north of where it seems like much of the membership of the club will be, or at least is at the moment, but I hope I can make it to flys somewhat regularly. I've heard that people fly over at Busse Woods, but I've not been there. I had figured that was about as short a trip as I can make to find other fliers.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Re: Jeff ...no Clever Nickname... ;-)

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Nov 24 2006, 10:54 PM

Welcome to the club Jeff. Glad you were able to make it out this afternoon!! Looked like you might have gotten some inside info for the dual line flying from Carlos and Prince.

As far as having to drive to the club flies, we will try to move it around so not the same people will be doing the long drive every time. :wink: :up:

Ken
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 07:55 AM

Ken and I were at Mots too. But we were flying quads on the other side of the field from where you were in the video watching Brett teach folks how to fly.
Welcome to the Club!

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 08:04 AM

Yes, welcome. I was glad to see you make it to the fly. A lot of us started like you, and you start to wonder if anyone else on the planet even flys kites anymore :wink:

That is one of the many reasons why we started IKE, and why it is important to kiting, that we spread the news to as many people as we can.

I would like to go to Busse, to see if anyone flys there anymore.

Welcome again Jeff, and keep your eyes to the sky!!

-Chris
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 08:58 AM

Welcome Jeff to the club and kiting! Chicago Fire had alot to do with my husband and sons interest in kiting. They and a quad kiter, flying on the public field at Bourbonaise, our first festival, really captured their kite interest. To this day I wonder if that was Mike.

TTFN,
Chris
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 09:41 AM

what year was it? I've mostly been the only quad flier out there. That's why I had to recruit some folks over to the dark side. :twisted:

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 10:32 AM

2003? Maybe.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Nov 29 2006, 08:44 PM

Hi Jeff... Welcome!

i fly dual line (exclusively so far) and can help you with a lot of tricks at any flying meeting that we're at together. i love 8) tricking even more than precision! :wink: It's a lot of fun and great exercise!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “Introductions”