candy dropper

Links to individual plans and discussion of the plans for all kinds of kites.
Frodos Majik

candy dropper

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:58 PM

I am making a candy dropper and am wondering about what size is good for a bag? I will have a double set up. It will be radio control.

I should have it done for this weekend. Testing will be done out in Decatur. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Re: candy dropper

Postby Babbman » Thu, Apr 24 2008, 01:14 PM

use these to test with... :rotfl

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Draftnik

Re: Candy Dropper

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Apr 24 2008, 07:54 PM

We were told about 3 pounds of candy is typical. Much more gets too hard to lift.

You want to watch that the candy doesn't spill pre-launch or you'll be swamped before the kite gets up in the air. :-)
Last edited by Draftnik on Thu, Apr 24 2008, 07:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.
TTFN,
Draftnik

akillip

Postby akillip » Thu, Apr 24 2008, 08:26 PM

3 or 4 pounds is about max, We did drop 8 pounds at one time from my big jordan several years ago. With the candy bag at 400'. The candy spread far and wide. Kids were picking up candy all afternoon.
What kind of bag are you using? I've seen the big tube sock type plug up. When the sock is released the candy seems to just ball up and gets held in place by the fabric tension. Then you have to start tugging the line to get it to drop. I use the flat cloth stlye that drops every time.

Tony

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Apr 24 2008, 09:44 PM

I am not worried about how much candy, but the BAG to hold the candy. :roll:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

akillip

Postby akillip » Fri, Apr 25 2008, 06:12 AM

My bag is 24" square when laid flat. The edges are all hemmed, a eyelet is at each corner. At one coner is a piece of string attached clove hitched to one eylet with a loop at the end of it. This gets threaded through the other 3 eyelets forming the bag, hook the loop too your drop release. At the very center of the bag I've sewed a loop and attatched a string to it maybe 2ft long. the other end of the string is tied to the dropper it self. I'll bring my dropper to decatur, we can compare notes.

Tony

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Apr 25 2008, 12:40 PM

Thanks Tony for the info. I ended up making my bags around 30in long and about 8in wide when laying flat. With making it a tube I will be able to pull the top of the bag when hung upside down up to the release. In theory anyway. We will see tomorrow. :up:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “Plans”