Triton, new Genki

Discussion on anything related to Single Line Kites
Mike

Triton, new Genki

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 09:03 AM

I just got my Into The Wind catalog today and saw that they are making their own Genki, called the Triton.
It's tied in with Brooks Leffler and says it's good for KAP as well as line laundry.

[imglr=left]http://www.intothewind.com/images/sku_lg/5690.jpg[/imglr]

Has anyone seen this kite? It has a couple holes in the bottom of the sail, reminiscent of a sled kite.
Does that help steady the flight?

Looking closely at the photo, it seems to have 3 vertical spars, a horizontal and 2 batten spars (look at the line between the yellow and orange panels on the upper wing--you can see a batten there.)
It says it's made with carbon spars, which makes it's selling price of $99 pretty reasonable. That's what has kept me from making my own Genki--the price of all that carbon.

The wind range is 3 - 15 mph, which means take it down when the wind picks up or you'll hear that expensive, loud, crack!, when carbon spars break.

Now if you decide to buy one of these from Into The Wind, make sure that's all you buy from them. :-D
Whenever possible, you should support your local store--Chicago Kite if you're in the Chicago area.
Also consider The Kite Connection. Sales to that store greatly help our 180GO! team--tell them you're from IKE.

So, comments on this kite?

Chris

Re: Triton, new Genki

Postby Chris » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 09:56 AM

I went through the catalog the other day, and added several more kites to my must have list... :shock:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

TeamTrejo

Re: Triton, New Genki

Postby TeamTrejo » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 10:58 AM

I have not gotten my ITW cataloge yet. :(

Does it come in anything besides rainbow?

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 11:08 AM

I have to admit that I'm interested in the design of the kite more than buying one. I'd like to make a Genki one of these days.

If it flew well, I could see IKE members making their own Genkis. Each one would have the IKE logo in the center panel and the two side panels would vary depending on personal interests. Mine might have quads / 180GO! on the sides. (surprise). Others might make theirs with mini versions of their favorite home-made kite or commercial kite or a sewing machine, or their dog, or...

I'd also like to know if I could do away with the three flares where the bridle attaches. My modified Pilot kite flies well without the center flare, and the mini-genki I made following the plans over at KiteBuilder works well without flares too.

Maybe scaling the kite down would be a good idea. Not so small as the 48" mini-genki though....how about a 60" wide version of the mini-genki? That's the length of an un-ferruled spar. I wouldn't mind having a drogue or tail on it to keep it steady. Tails look cool :-D

It would be cool to have all the kites fly as a train. Any ideas on that? Ideally each kite would attach to the flying line rather than each other. That way the bottom kite wouldn't have to support all the other kites.

I've hijacked my own thread before it's hardly begun!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 11:09 AM

TeamTrejo wrote:Does it come in anything besides rainbow?

No, and I don't like the rainbow either. A little too 70s for me.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 10:48 PM

speaking of the 70s "I pity the fool, I PITY THE FOOL!!!"

When he gets going on the Jazz, he really gets going!!! :roll: :lol:

but those ideas of different genki with a common center would be kwel to see in the sky.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 12:04 AM

Mike wrote:
Maybe scaling the kite down would be a good idea. Not so small as the 48" mini-genki though....how about a 60" wide version of the mini-genki? That's the length of an un-ferruled spar. I wouldn't mind having a drogue or tail on it to keep it steady. Tails look cool :-D
[/size]

Yes, I haver a 60" span mini genki on my short list. Or perhaps 67" to use the ferruled spar lengths.
Lemme see, that would mean using 23.5" longerons.... Looks like there will have to be some cutting someplace. Maybe wood dowels for the longerons......Spray 'em black to make people think they are carbon rods.... :smartass:
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 08:14 AM

Kiteguy,
Any ideas on how to put them in a train?

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Sat, Apr 19 2008, 02:12 AM

To train them, I think I would try putting a line tab around the vertical spars that lines up with the bridle lines. Then larks head 4 lines to the kite above. Repeat as desired.

Would that work? Dunno. Might be worth a try.

How do you train roks? :roll:
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

BobHoffpauir

Postby BobHoffpauir » Wed, Jul 06 2011, 04:57 PM

:jester: Yep have seen and their from China. Into the Wind must have ordered some and now claiming there making them. Which is find I guess as their a fine looking Genki. Attach a Premier B/W Tube tail or two and it's a looker. Might want to change out the spars though. Lighter stronger. Would like to get one but I feel the price is high for what I know is from China and Into the Wind charges high for shipping on a $100.00 order I feel. So waiting for someone else to import some. Hey, I'm cheap and on a fix income...........

Return to “Single Line Kites”