New Tech M-80 - any information would be great

All about Dual Line Kiting.
DazG

New Tech M-80 - any information would be great

Postby DazG » Thu, Sep 12 2013, 03:15 PM

Hi
New to the forum, and not very local, sorry. Living in the UK.

I've acquired a M-80 designed by Dodd Gross and made by New Tech Kites. The sail and main spars are in great condition. However the bridle, outer sand offs have seen better days. There is also some short lines hanging from the bottom of the kite (leading edge ends and centre stand offs) and a line runs from the end of the leading edges to the base of the spine.

This forum is the only mention of the M-80 except the pictures on this page, http://www.foreverflying.com/newtech.html, on the web.

So I'd be grateful for any information/pictures that will help me get this kite back into the air. For example, bridle dimensions, length of outer stand offs, what the short lines are for and where the bottom line is connected.

Many thanks
Darren

KiteVoice

Re: New Tech M-80 - any information would be great

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, Sep 12 2013, 08:56 PM

M-80 designer Dodd Gross is with Skydog Kites now. The people there might be able to put you in touch with Dodd. Or if you are on Facebook, try reaching Dodd via his Facebook page.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Sep 12 2013, 09:09 PM

Hi Darren,
We've had regular visitors from the UK before.
Welcome to the club!
And now if you're ever in the States, you've got a bunch of friends to meet up with and fly!

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Thu, Sep 12 2013, 09:49 PM

On Facebook, Dodd Gross has a nice group IFly2.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221998147943305/

He is pretty active in there!

good luck
Jim

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Sep 13 2013, 09:54 AM

Hello,
The line that is hanging is probably to tension up the trailing edge. It is not uncommon. I may have one of those. I will look around and see if I can find it. If I do I can post a couple pics.
_Mikey

DazG

Postby DazG » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 04:23 PM

Hi All, thanks for the posts and the contact details.

I've managed to work out most of the kite but the lines at the leading edge tips, I'm still not to sure about. Please see the attached photo.

line 1 - blue flecked line connected to the sail
line 2 - line through the leading edge - leech line?
line 3 - blue flecked line - trick line?

I understand roughly what they do, but how and in what order do I connect them in?

Sorry for this detailed question, but this is the first time I've played with an pro standard kite and I've no experience of these fittings.

thanks
Darren
Attachments
P1020715.JPG
P1020715.JPG (102.04 KiB) Viewed 4196 times

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:01 PM

Hi, Daz, and welcome to IKE.

The picture you posted is great and you can attach the lines the way you show them in your photo, with the line attached to the leading edge going in last. You can attach them in any order, but it makes sense to put them in so the line which is easiest to replace goes in last, because the outermost line will be the one that wears out first.

Yes, the line that runs through the trailing edge is called the leach line. It tightens the trailing edge and also makes the kite quieter. If you want to make noise loosen it. After you have enough hours with the kite you may notice a change in performance also, increase in speed, tighter corners, etc.

The line beyond the trailing edge is called the trick line. It brings the tips of the leading towards each other and puts a curve in the leading edge which makes many tricks much easier, and billows the sail a bit which aids in light wind flying and improves tracking.

Hope this is of some help to you. Join us at the IKE retreat this weekend if you can and you can talk to others who know more about tricking and can give you some pointers.

Bridle lines are a whole different story. There are many kinds of bridles for delta stunt kites, all of which may be used with any kite. Google "Andy Wardley" and go to bridles.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:53 PM

Good info Mark.

Be a long (wet) drive for him to join us at the retreat . . . . he's in the UK.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Sep 18 2013, 09:03 PM

Be a long (wet) drive for him to join us at the retreat . . . . he's in the UK.[/quote]

Yeah, I know. It's always raining over there!
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

DazG

Postby DazG » Thu, Sep 19 2013, 03:29 PM

Hi Mark

Thanks for the very helpful post.

The leech and trick lines I now understand. It's the leading edge line (flecked line connected to the sail) that I still have an issue with. If I connect it as it is now, it is either very loose (end loop) or makes the leech line lose tension (past the 2nd knot). So do I adjust the 2nd knots on both the leading edge lines to keep tension on all the lines?

Have a good retreat.

thanks
Darren

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Sep 19 2013, 11:21 PM

DazG wrote:Hi Mark

Thanks for the very helpful post.

The leech and trick lines I now understand. It's the leading edge line (flecked line connected to the sail) that I still have an issue with. If I connect it as it is now, it is either very loose (end loop) or makes the leech line lose tension (past the 2nd knot). So do I adjust the 2nd knots on both the leading edge lines to keep tension on all the lines?

Have a good retreat.

thanks
Darren

Yes, either reposition the second knot or tie a third knot in between. If the sail leading edge line does not pull the sail tight, then you will have to start there to get it tight and then adjust the leach line and the trick line in that order until you reach a happy medium.
MARK

DazG

Postby DazG » Mon, Sep 23 2013, 04:14 PM

Hi Mark

Thanks for the additional information.

Darren

Return to “Dual Line Kites”