Wildwood NJ International Kite Fest May 22-25

luke.moore

Wildwood NJ International Kite Fest May 22-25

Postby luke.moore » Thu, Apr 23 2015, 06:11 PM

Anyone going to this festival? I'm thinking about it, but have never been out there. Looking for somewhere reasonable and safe to stay. I'll have a car if I fly or drive, so distance isn't really an issue. Let me know if any of you have been and what I can expect. Thanks in advance!!

makatakam

Re: Wildwood NJ International Kite Fest May 22-25

Postby makatakam » Thu, Apr 23 2015, 06:40 PM

I've never been, but am considering going this year. It's one of the oldest, biggest and best in the country from the information I've seen over the last few years. All of the east coast flyers will be there, some of the best in the country, flying SLK, DLK and QLK kites. Team 180GO! will be there doing the Revolution Kite demos. Many of the people in IKE have been there and I'm sure they can fill you in on the details. Hang in there, someone will chime in soon.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Apr 23 2015, 07:19 PM

Going . . . . (with 180Go!) :-D :up:

Never been before, so it's all new to me. Planning on plenty of flying though . . . .

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 24 2015, 08:12 AM

I've been there once before with iQuad in 2008, and I'm going this year with 180GO!.
So, based on my limited experience:
It's not like most festivals--there are actually few, if any demos. There are competitions though.
It's more like WSIKF, mostly open flying. There are usually a lot of Rev fliers there, and lots of the other sorts of kiters too.
My understanding is that the main party hotel is the Oceanic. There's a gathering there Friday night, no matter what hotel you're staying at.

It was a lot of fun, on par with WSIKF or Kite Party.

If you're planning this trip, I've been warned that the Monday traffic out of Wildwood is a parking lot. I've been told to leave at Dawn or in the evening.
If your work schedule allows for it, leaving on Tuesday is a safer bet. Besides there are still things going on Monday: indoor comps, and people will still be flying on the beach.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AOP9td9RdnE

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 24 2015, 09:30 AM

For more info, here's a Rev forum post by the organizer of Wildwood.
http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/632 ... 5/?p=96324

Return to “2015 Kite Festivals”