St. Johns, Mich. "Go Fly a Kite Day" May 5, 2013

KiteVoice

St. Johns, Mich. "Go Fly a Kite Day" May 5, 2013

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Mar 26 2013, 07:50 AM

Yours truly is scheduled to be the "kite voice" at this event.

From an email received from Steve Rothwell (Blue Brothers pairs team member and AKA region five director):

St Johns is going to have their "Go Fly a Kite Day" again this year on Sunday 5/5/2013. St Johns is just north of Lansing, MI. The event is held at Uncle John's Cider Mill. In some of their advertising for this year, they have specifically mentioned Thor's Hammer, The Bubble Man, and fighter kites. I'm hoping everyone that was there last year can make it again this year. We have additional commitments so far from the Windjammers & Fire and Ice.

They have also mentioned / asked for fighter kites again this year. I really enjoyed the fighter kite history lesson and commentary from Terry McPherson last year both before and during the kite battles. I hope Terry can make it again and any other fighter kiters, John Hall, Bob Hegman. I want to have a ROK battle again this year. I've been told ROK battles tend to bore the public because they take so long. So last year Spencer and I had a ROK battle on 50# line. It was over in a few seconds, so we went a second round and that was over almost as fast. I'd like to repeat this if we can, with as many ROKs as we can, but keep the line light enough so the crowd doesn't get bored.

I also remember seeing Dave and Bud Gibson quietly flying pairs last year. You guys looked really good!! The only father and son team I've ever seen live!! Any chance of doing it again with music this year?

If you know you are coming, I'd appreciate an RSVP. If you want to show up at the last minute, you are welcome. Last year they provided water, lunch, and mint candies for the flyers. This event is a fund raiser for a kids splash park in St. Johns. To the best of my knowledge no one is making a profit from this event.

Contact Steve if you need more info.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

KiteVoice

Re: St. Johns, Mich. "Go Fly a Kite Day" May 5, 2013

Postby KiteVoice » Mon, Apr 29 2013, 09:48 AM

More information from a recent Steve Rothwell email:

All,
Sorry this is so late a reminder. I hope it's not too late. The Kite Festival at Uncle John's Cider Mill in St Johns MI is this Sunday May 5 from 12:00 - 5:00. This year we will have the Wind Jammers, and Fire and Ice, as well as those of us that made it (or almost made it) last year. Jay Farlow will be announcing this year. He is very good on the microphone and knows who we are and what's going on. I hope it's as much fun as last year and maybe a little less work since there will be more of us.

This is a fund raiser to "help finance the new community spray park at the St. Johns Main Park.". We get in free of course.

Here are excerpts from their press release:
“We’re happy to host the 2nd Annual Kite Day on Sunday, May 5, Noon to 5 pm,” said Mike Beck, President and Co-owner of Uncle John’s Cider Mill. “Thor’s Hammer Kite and Blues Brothers will be back. New this year will be Fire and Ice from Chicago and Windjammers International Kite Team out of Detroit. These are all a great bunch of professional kitefliers who will entertain the crowds with choreographed music and teach kids how to fly a kite.”
“Thor’s Hammer has a 15 foot wingspan that’s the largest two-line stunt kite commercially made. It will be flown by David Bush of Kalamazoo, MI.”
“We’ll have a family field for personal kite-flying separate from the professional performance fields,” said Bill Schafer, City of St. Johns Recreation Director. “Again this year at 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm, St. Johns Mint Queen Alexa Ruestman and her Royal Court will preside over two mint candy drops from high-flying kites for kids to enjoy. They will also learn how to fly commercial kites.”

They have filled in the post holes, rented the same great sound system. They will provide lunch tickets for Sunday for fliers and their families. The Clinton County Sheriff's department will provide 2-3 safety officers again this year. They are also offering to put people up in the guest house at Uncle John's Cider Mill. This is a large home on site, with 5 bedrooms, 4 have queen beds, 1 has twin beds. At this point 2 rooms are spoken for. If free accommodation would make all the difference for you, please let me know. They don't allow pets.

I was just at Shipshewana yesterday and Kathy Brinnehl provided a binder with biographies for some of us for Jay to use as filler on the PA system when needed. Start thinking about what you'd like to say in your biographies and email them to me so I can put them in the binder. Also sometimes we make up biographies if you don't provide anything, so you've been warned :-)

Directions:
Uncle John's Cider Mill
8614 North US 127
St. Johns, MI 48879
The directions from the cider mill's web site at http://www.ujcidermill.com/ are:

Uncle John's is very easy to find, as we are located on the east side of US 127, north of St. Johns. Our driveway connects to US 127. When coming from the south, be sure to stay on US 127 and follow the signs as if you were heading to Clare or Mt. Pleasant. Uncle John's is located north of the city of St. Johns, and you do not have to take a St. Johns exit to get to us.

When coming from the north, head south towards St. Johns/Lansing. We are located four miles south of the intersection of US 127 and M-57 on the East side.

Please let me know if you can make it.
Please consider providing a biography.
Let me know if I've left anything out.
My email address is sgrothwell@gmail.com.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:06 PM

I thought about doing this one, it sounds like fun. The 6 1/2 hour drive is just a bit too much for me though.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Mon, Apr 29 2013, 01:34 PM

Mike wrote:I thought about doing this one, it sounds like fun. The 6 1/2 hour drive is just a bit too much for me though.

I can relate. I just accepted an invitation to announce at a new one-day festival in Green Bay in June. That'll be at least 7 hours of driving!

If it would make a difference, hit Steve up for a place to crash ... sounds like he's still got space available in the house.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Apr 29 2013, 08:19 PM

Sounds like a decent event. Only four hours for me, but I think I can't make it for the one day, especially if I head up to MKE for Saturday. Maybe next year.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Apr 30 2013, 06:57 PM

Added to IKE calendar . . ..

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, May 04 2013, 09:51 PM

This is my franchises back yard. That's why I want to make the Rok with the Logo. It would get tons of exposure and promote flying. A win-win I think.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Return to “2013 Kite Festivals”