Kites over Branch County, Coldwater, Mich. canceled

KiteVoice

Kites over Branch County, Coldwater, Mich. canceled

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Mar 19 2013, 07:17 AM

Got the email below from Tri-State Wind Riders:

After long thought, and careful consideration, we have decided NOT TO HOLD this year's event. First organized in 2002, this event has provided a weekend of competition, fun and fellowship and has been attended by flyers from Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania. Changes in AKA sanctioning fees, grand national competition eligibility, and (sadly) a significant reduction in competitive flyers, have made the financial viability of the event highly questionable at best, and our enthusiasm at it's lowest point. While not yet ready to say "we're done, we plan on taking a break till next year. Over the coming season, we plan on renewing our kiter friendships, and taking in as many of the festivals and fun fly's as we can. We will take this time to talk to flyers, recharge our batteries nd reassess our plans for next year. We look forward to seeing you.

Suzette and John Arnold
Tom & Kathe Deck
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

goestoeleven

Re: Kites over Branch County, Coldwater, Mich. canceled

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Mar 19 2013, 07:44 PM

Argh! I had not made it to that one yet. I wanted to stop there last year, but we were out of town at the inlaws that weekend. I am not a competition guy either. I'm just in it for the fun.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Tue, Mar 19 2013, 10:49 PM

I had gone to Cold Water last year for an event. it was my first event and was able to meet some great people.. Jon T from Skyburner and Vertigo2u. the competition was run very well. and i learned about SLK's and fighter kites also at that event. I was looking forward to going again this year and flying with them.

Well, Grand Haven is my big event this year, so hopefully I will see some familiar faces there. I'm not ready for competition anyways,, but maybe NEXT year :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Mar 20 2013, 12:34 AM

I'm planning on Grand Haven again this year. Beach was crowded . . . I think you may have to hike a fair way down if you want to fly revs and dual line sport kites as the nice weather last year brought out lots of people, and the only fields staked off are for big show kites and the performances. It was a great fest last year, with LOTS of kite people from all over the midwest & beyond.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Wed, Mar 20 2013, 08:00 AM

Trigger wrote:I had gone to Cold Water last year for an event. it was my first event and was able to meet some great people.. Jon T from Skyburner and Vertigo2u. the competition was run very well. and i learned about SLK's and fighter kites also at that event. I was looking forward to going again this year and flying with them.

Dude, you were there last year? So were my lovely wife and I! I shadowed judges to learn how comps work and crewed for Paul K. and the SkyJesters. I was planning to enter the competition this year.

Trigger wrote:Well, Grand Haven is my big event this year, so hopefully I will see some familiar faces there. I'm not ready for competition anyways,, but maybe NEXT year :)

We'll definitely be at GH. Already have the hotel room confirmed for Friday and Saturday nights.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Hitman

Postby Hitman » Tue, Mar 26 2013, 07:07 PM

Seems to be this is really really fun. Hopefully i will participate next time guys !!!!
Perfect vacation in Sri Lanka for officious explorers to travel in Sri Lanka.

Return to “2013 Kite Festivals”