Improving Standard 1.5 SLE Experience

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
grigorib

Improving Standard 1.5 SLE Experience

Postby grigorib » Thu, Apr 01 2010, 08:37 PM

I got an EXP, 1.5 SLE and shokhwave. I like EXP for the light wind days while 1.5 SLE returns better precision. The shockwave is a whole different toy and having plyed with foils they pull my hands out of my body in a more gentle way.
I'm thinking of a next step to get a nice precise rev for wider wind range and I think either buying a vented one or a cheaper option of getting lighter rods for 1.5 SLE for ligter winds.
Having similar choice would you go for vented SLE or 1.5 B?
Last edited by grigorib on Thu, Apr 01 2010, 08:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Babbman

Re: Improving Standard 1.5 SLE Experience

Postby Babbman » Fri, Apr 02 2010, 06:42 AM

grigorib wrote:I got an EXP, 1.5 SLE and shokhwave. I like EXP for the light wind days while 1.5 SLE returns better precision. The shockwave is a whole different toy and having plyed with foils they pull my hands out of my body in a more gentle way.
I'm thinking of a next step to get a nice precise rev for wider wind range and I think either buying a vented one or a cheaper option of getting lighter rods for 1.5 SLE for ligter winds.
Having similar choice would you go for vented SLE or 1.5 B?

Obviously, a lot depends on your budget...lol..

Here's the thoughts of someone who searched for a solution to my flying needs and bought a LOT of different kites in search of it.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have this as my basic flying kit...

a 1.5 Standard (or SUL) and 1.5 vented, both with race rods.

that's it.

This combination (along with some serious practice) will allow you to fly in almost any wind. Should you want to fly in heavy winds, add a set of 4 wrap rods.

I know there is quite a bit of discussion that has taken place on all of this. Search here and you will find it, especially on Rods, but I will always stand by my experience that practice and ability has far more to do with it all, than the difference of a couple of grams of weight in the rods. I prefer the race rods because they provide light weight and great strength and IMO, replace the need for having to own a set of 2 & 3 wrap 'skinny' rods.

Almost none of us who fly regularly even carry a SLE leading edge. They are just too damn heavy for normal flying and you can get all the precision you need from the skinny rods. The one place that an SLE comes in handy is for a new flyer in decent winds as they are pretty much indestructible.

I also own all of the speed series kites and really love them. My favorite is the Blast, followed by the Shockwave.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 02 2010, 10:26 AM

Hi Grigory--did we meet at Meadowbrook park a couple years ago?

Short answer: Vented SLE, but order it with a set of skinny rods (like what's in your EXP) for the thick SLE spar.

I'm not a fan of race rods--they are the only rods I've ever had break.

The rods for the 1.5 sized kites are interchangeable. That means you can put your EXP rods (which are 3-wrap rods) into your SLE kite.

So the cheapest way to go, if you don't mind switching rods out of your sails, would be:
A vented SLE sail with a set of 2 wrap rods and a set of 4 wrap rods.

2-wrap rods, which are lighter and more flexible, can help in low winds, but they are somewhat optional.

You'll mostly fly your Standard SLE with your EXP 3 wrap rods and the Vented SLE with the EXP 3 wrap rods.
When the winds are very light, you might want to swap 2 wrap rods into the SLE.
When the winds are strong, you will need to fly the Vented with 4 wrap rods.

If you would like to try out a vented kite and rods, send me a PM and I can meet you at a park to try them out.
I'm pretty busy right now, but if I can't go to the park I could lend you the kite to try out on your own.

grigorib

Postby grigorib » Fri, Apr 02 2010, 05:34 PM

Yes Mike we did meet before, in fact it was you who introduced me to Revs three years ago.
I'd be glad to try the combinations. I'll be checking the quick fly's then...

I have two more questions now -
What is the difference between EXP and SLE sails (so when I use EXP rods in SLE wouldn't I end up with another EXP?)
Aren't thin EXP rods less precise if I use them in the SLE?

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 02 2010, 08:13 PM

grigorib wrote:...
I have two more questions now -
What is the difference between EXP and SLE sails (so when I use EXP rods in SLE wouldn't I end up with another EXP?)
Aren't thin EXP rods less precise if I use them in the SLE?

The dimensions of the sails are the same. The EXP sail is made of nylon, your SLE is made of polyester (starting this year, SLE's will also be nylon).
Polyester has a little less stretch and absorbs less moisture than nylon.

Precision is tough to call. You would think the SLE would be more precise because there is very little flex in the spar, so every move your hands make is transferred to the kite (actually the string has stretch too, so that's not precisely correct).

But in practice, top flyers find they can fly more precisely with some flex in the spar. All the top Rev fliers I've met, and I've met and flown with a lot of them both US and European, use the skinny spars.

I have two guesses as to why this is so:
Some flex in the spar allows the kite to absorb some of the unevenness of the wind.
The flex in the spar changes the shape of the kite. The SLE spar makes the kite fly more like a flat board than a bowed sail.

In practice, you may find little difference between your SLE and EXP with the same 3 wrap rods.
Rev's kites vary somewhat from kite to kite, so you may actually prefer your EXP! Try it and see.

A vented kite will also absorb the wind gusts and smaller variations in wind speed. It also slows the kite down. These two factors make flying a vented kite the best for precision, but you wont get a lot of pull or speed thrills.

---
You just missed a club fly last weekend. Most of the club lives in the Chicago area, so few flies happen down in Champaign. Check out the thread for the Decatur festival which is in a couple weeks. It's a small festival and only 30 minutes from Champaign. There will be several Rev fliers there and all would be happy to lend you equipment to test.

grigorib

Postby grigorib » Sat, Apr 03 2010, 11:35 AM

Thanks for detailed explanation.
Can you clear some more mystery for me please?
In the SUL set is it the sail which is different and lighter than regular SLE or it's the 2 wrap rods that allow to lose 3 ounces on the complete kite?
For a vented kite what combination would be better - mid vented, or full vented or there's a better option?
What do you think of 1.5 Barresi edition, is it just a regular 1.5 with extra rods, different colors, etc, or the sail is different anyhow?

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Apr 03 2010, 01:45 PM

The main sail is the same on both kites.
The leading edge material is lighter on the SUL.
The bridle is made of spectra on the SUL.
The difference in weight is minimal. Most all of the difference is in the spars. It would be difficult to tell the difference between an SUL and an SLE if both were using 2 wrap spars. In other words, adding a set of two wrap spars to your SLE is all you really need to do.

Short answer: full vent

B-series vs SLE? If you can still get a polyester Vented SLE, that would be my choice. But we are entering a topic that takes on an almost religious tone amongst rev fliers. The vents on the B-Series are a different shape, so the sails are not the same.

Opinions from other fliers are welcome....

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Apr 03 2010, 02:42 PM

If you're only getting 2 kites, I'd get a standard sail and a full vent.

I actually like my mid vent better than my full vent in a one on one comparison, but to cover the whole wind range I'd do standard and full. I only fly my full vent when the wind is quite strong.

B-Series vs. SLE....ah yes. Tough call. I would be hesitant to get a B in the full vent, honestly. I have one, and I prefer the SLE style full vent to the B full vent. But I LOVE my B Mid vent. Confused yet? :-)

I haven't seen any kites in the new materials. That might change my opinion too.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

grigorib

Postby grigorib » Sat, Apr 03 2010, 03:12 PM

What about 1.5 B Pro made of "the best Icarex cloth"? Does it make any difference?

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Apr 04 2010, 11:24 AM

Tom (Jeepster) will be at the Decatur festival with a B-Pro. I expect he'd let you try his.
http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1655

More people than posted on the forum will be there, not everyone posts.

Sailor99

Postby Sailor99 » Sun, Apr 04 2010, 02:29 PM

What previous flyers have said about skinny frames and vented is absolutely right IMHO. If you are looking for 'bang for buck' fire your bucks at the frame. Forget the SUL - nice but absolutely not necessary. I personally find there is not a lot of flying difference between good quality cloths irrespective of the material - nylon or poly. In fact here in the UK the boundaries are pretty blurred between the different cloths anyway - nylon is often called poly and visa versa.

As to icarex, its original use was as a spinnaker cloth and it was rejected in the sailing community within one season due to its poor stress and longevity characteristics. I have some kites in it, most of which are permanently over stretched on the bottom panel and have had to have some serious repairs. The remainder I look after with paranoid care. Given the choice, which is difficult, I now steer clear of it.

My best rev sail, in terms of flying, is a home made on (Nylon semi vent) followed closely by a Scott Hampton (Heavy nylon rev custom full sail). Close behind these are my rev Pros, and the B's, pretty much of a muchness. By far the biggest difference though is in the frames - rarely do I take the pros out these days, but I do 'bolster' them up on the LE with some 3 or 4 wraps from time to time.

So, invest your money wisely, by investing in the following order:

1) Race Frame
2) Vented (indeally get you dealer to put a race frame set in the kite!)
3) All the addiction indicators like SULs, Pros, custom sails etc!

Point 3 is a long way behind IMHO!

Rambling but I hope of help.

grigorib

Postby grigorib » Fri, May 14 2010, 11:13 AM

I got my new 1.5B full vented with a set of 2-wrap a set of 4-wrap. Since 1.5SLE with 3-wrap pulled out from EXP is still there it completes a set (for now).
Got 120' lines too so I can enjoy space and all excited adjusted and resleeved few other sets :)

Thank you guys for the advices!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, May 14 2010, 12:04 PM

that's great! There's wind and it's not raining, go out and fly!

Return to “Quad Line Kites”