Would you like to compete with a Quad Line as a novice?

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Mike

Would you like to compete with a Quad Line as a novice?

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 30 2009, 05:07 PM

From Gary Engvall (AKA president):
Back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth and dual-line kites ruled the kite fields, only advanced and brave dual-line fliers attempted to fly those new-fangled Quad Line Kites. But these days, thanks to the efforts of I-Quad, there are many people out there for whom a Quad Line Kite is their first sport kite experience. It is time to have a Novice Multi-Line discipline at competitions including the Nationals. Novice Class is less about the skill level of the competitor than it is about introducing the competitor to the requirements and procedure of competition.

How will introducing a new discipline work? First, Leagues and individual Events need to offer it. People need to compete in it. There need to be enough competitors involved from each AKA Conference to justify adding Novice Multi-Line to the Nationals. The threshold number has usually been five competitors per conference.

Drawbacks and downsides: Right out of the chute, there are those on the Board who say if a Discipline is added to Nationals, a Discipline needs to be dropped to make room for it. For the record, I would go with the opinion of the Chief Judge of the Nationals, since they are the one responsible for making the schedule work. Another issue is sponsorship of the trophies for the event. That is already handled. Ben Dantonio has offered to sponsor trophies for Novice Multi-Line. That leaves only one problem. It is one more award in one more category to be handed out during a long night of awards.

Bottom line, Novice Multi-Line is not a done deal yet. By all means, contact your Regional Director and bend their ear if you would like to see Novice Multi-Line offered at Nationals. It is late in this season, but it could be added to Nationals if enough people qualify.

There's usually a competition at the Perry Farms festival in Illinois and a couple in Michigan too.

If you'd like to compete, novice level is an low-stress entry point. Nationals are in Minnesota this year so you could pick up a national trophy without having to travel far. Now's your chance!

Most of us are in Region 6 (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin) and our director is Barb Meyer. Pop her an email:
region6@aka.kite.org

If you're not in Region 6, here's where to find your region and the appropriate email:
http://aka.kite.org/officers.shtml

Roxy

Re: Would You Like To Compete With A Quad Line As A Novice?

Postby Roxy » Tue, Apr 21 2009, 10:42 PM

Do I stand a chance of winning if I can't get the kite off the ground?

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Tue, Apr 21 2009, 11:13 PM

I definitly would...if I could...go to the nationals, but I have allway tought, that, there should be more LOCAL COMPETITIONS. (do we have any?)
that way, for those who can not go to the nationals, the could at least give it a try locally.
By the way I think that every area should have their own competitions to bring their own champions
and then bring their champions from every region to compite among themselves, and then have A CHAMPION EN EVERY CATEGORY.
and this local competitions should not only be for quad lines but for duals too.
I would definitly participate on both disciplines as a novice, but I can not go to any nationals for obvious reazons.
Of course is only my humble opinion.
Hector Herrera

(Aghh...I may be off the subject, but I wanted to say that.)
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Tue, Apr 21 2009, 11:46 PM

Hector a novice :rotfl Novice means A person new to a field or activity; a beginner. I'd love to fly with you sometime and show you what a real novice is, I'd be even happier seeing all the kites you made!

Hector Herrera wrote:I would definitly participate on both disciplines as a novice Of course is only my humble opinion.
Hector Herrera

(Aghh...I may be off the subject, but I wanted to say that.)

Mike

Re: Would you like to compete with a Quad Line as a novice?

Postby Mike » Wed, Apr 22 2009, 03:19 PM

Hi Hector,
the AKA *has* divided up the country into regions and each region has it's own competitions. There are competitions for both Dual and Quad line, and teams too. Ben from Revolution is your representative for the Southern California region.
Check out the AKA website: http://aka.kite.org/
The AKA calendar lists kite competitions, and somewhere on there are the rules too.

If I remember right, there used to be competitions at Seal Beach. But they were sponsored by the Bay Area Sport Kite League. I think...

Return to “Quad Line Kites”