Lincoln IL Balloon & Art (and Kite) Festival

goestoeleven

Lincoln IL Balloon & Art (and Kite) Festival

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:20 PM

I don't have much info, but I believe we have a small invasion from Wisconsin Kiters who are going down to the Lincoln Balloon & Art Festival in Lincoln, IL.

Here's a link to the event on the Wisconsin Kiters Facebook page . . . . there's a small chance I will crash their party since it looks like WSIKF 2012 is out for me due to too much work.

Jynx

Re: Lincoln IL Balloon & Art (and Kite) Festival

Postby Jynx » Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:51 PM

I'm attending! (Friday thru Sunday)... If you don't have a Facebook account, are interested, and need further info... let me know!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Aug 21 2012, 08:15 PM

Depending on the weather, I might go on Sunday.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Aug 21 2012, 08:25 PM

Oh wait, the FB page says it's Friday and Saturday. I'll can't make it those days--have fun guys.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Aug 21 2012, 11:37 PM

Mike wrote:Oh wait, the FB page says it's Friday and Saturday. I'll can't make it those days--have fun guys.

Mike, until you mentioned it I didn't notice the dates posted on FB... :zzz:

The link for the festival http://www.lincolnillinois.com/chambero ... e/ABF.aspx states: Friday August 24th through Sunday August 25th! (3-day event)

(I notified the FB event-poster to make the correction)

See YOU Sunday! (?) :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Aug 22 2012, 08:06 AM

Jynx - Are you sure? I'm guessing you'll be flying Sunday regardless of what the schedule says, but according to this detailed schedule the only day for "Giant Kite Demos" is Saturday afternoon. They don't say anything about kites on Sunday.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Aug 22 2012, 09:01 AM

There's nothing scheduled for the airport grounds on Sunday...

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Aug 22 2012, 12:19 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Jynx - Are you sure? I'm guessing you'll be flying Sunday regardless of what the schedule says, but according to this detailed schedule the only day for "Giant Kite Demos" is Saturday afternoon. They don't say anything about kites on Sunday.

The event is 3 days (Fri-Sun) BUT ...per a response to my question on the FB post, whether the dates were correct or not, a WKC member posted:

"We only fly Saturday afternoon the rest of the time we enjoy all the other events!! We will arrive Friday afternoon to take in the parade and the evening launch, looking forward to a busy weekend !!!!"

So, (unfortunately) it's fly Saturday only! ...SORRY for any confusion! :oops:

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Aug 22 2012, 02:27 PM

No worries.
When I was on a kite team, which we wont name, we arrived in New York state for a 2 day festival. We flew all day Saturday and told people to come back tomorrow for more fun. Several people gave us a bit of a funny look, but we ignored it. We were staying at a house that someone donated to us for the fest. He seemed surprised when we were staying over on Saturday night, but said we were welcome of course.
When we showed up at the field on Sunday, this was our entire audience:
IMG_4644.JPG
IMG_4644.JPG (87.12 KiB) Viewed 4318 times

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Aug 22 2012, 03:22 PM

That's a better audience than i usually get. Grass looks a bit long for revs tho.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Aug 22 2012, 04:19 PM

But at least they stayed behind the barricade and didn't walk across your lines, right?
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Aug 22 2012, 08:36 PM

Mike wrote:No worries.
When I was on a kite team, which we wont name, we arrived in New York state for a 2 day festival. We flew all day Saturday and told people to come back tomorrow for more fun. Several people gave us a bit of a funny look, but we ignored it. We were staying at a house that someone donated to us for the fest. He seemed surprised when we were staying over on Saturday night, but said we were welcome of course.
When we showed up at the field on Sunday, this was our entire audience:
IMG_4644.JPG

:getoff: :beat GREAT story! :rotfl ...I'll leave my kites in the bag Sunday! ...Glad you brought the subject up...I was ready for Sunday too! :jester:

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Aug 23 2012, 01:10 PM

Sunday: If anyone wants to swing by Champaign for a club fly (it's 1 hour due east from Lincoln) I could drive up there and we could meet at a park right off the freeway. (Zahnd park--click on the maps link at the top of the page)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Aug 23 2012, 02:03 PM

Now that is very tempting . . . and I do owe you a trip to Champaign . . . . however . . .

While I'm really, really jonesing for some group flying (missing WSIKF right now), I'm also currently "negotiating" with my wife for a Two Rivers weekend. She has to work this weekend on Saturday morning (25th), my daughter has activities in the afternoon both days, and we've got cub scout stuff on Sunday. Therefore, I think this weekend may be out for me for a trip down to Lincoln/Champaign. Plus I have tons of work . . . . so I might only be able to spare a little bit of time for flying (local).

However, missing out on this weekend may free me up to make both days at Two Rivers. If so, I'll start a TR thread here soon-ish.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Aug 27 2012, 07:04 PM

How about a trip report? Can anyone post info or a couple photos about their experience?
It's nice to be able to look book at these when you're deciding what festival to go to next year.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Aug 27 2012, 07:43 PM

I've been watching the FB page for the Wisconsin Kiters, and Jynx posted a bunch of photos as well. It looked like a really good day, and a nice field. It also looks like Wisconsin Kiters had about 15-20 people there, so it's a festival we (IKE) should consider going if only to share a day with them (assuming they do it next year). They had a whole bunch of big SLKs and line laundry up, and Jynx was flying her Eyes and Extra Vent Revolutions. It also looks like Fire & Ice were there and there were some other Wisconsin Kiters flying some routines at some point. Plus, you have the whole balloon thing to watch at the end of the day, and other events for Sunday.

I'd consider it for next year, except . . . if it's the same weekend, then I plan to go to WSIKF next year for the 25th anniversary of Revolution and their attempt to get 100 Rev pilots in a mega grid.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, Aug 27 2012, 08:32 PM

Lincoln Fest was Awesome! The organizers treated us like royalty and (if not WSIKF) I certainly will be attending next year! :up:

There is a paid admission for general attendees... and the crowd was incredible!

It is an 'invite' festival (on the field) and if interested I would suggest contacting one of the fest organizers or Michael Wagner (WKC President) for further info.

I, and others, have posted several photos and we even made the Lincoln Daily News. Though it is a hot-air balloon and art festival, the Wisconsin Kiters Club (WKC) sure painted the sky and certainly saved the festival on Saturday when winds were too high for the balloons. They were very appreciative and hopefully someday it'll be the Balloon, KITE, and Art Festival!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Sep 04 2012, 09:31 PM

Jynx wrote:I, and others, have posted several photos

URL?
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 04 2012, 09:40 PM

I'd suggest checking her Facebook account and also the Wisconsin Kiters on Facebook.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Wed, Sep 05 2012, 07:56 AM

goestoeleven wrote:I'd suggest checking her Facebook account and also the Wisconsin Kiters on Facebook.

Thanks. I don't have a Facebook account.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Return to “2012 Kite Festivals”