Milwaukee Family Kite Fest

goestoeleven

Milwaukee Family Kite Fest

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, May 21 2012, 10:21 PM

Who's going / which day(s)??

I'm going to try to get there one of the two days . . . not sure which one yet - although I'm leaning towards Sunday. I'll be watching the weather this week and see what it looks like for the weekend.

Jynx

Re: Milwaukee Family Kite Fest

Postby Jynx » Mon, May 21 2012, 11:56 PM

Depending on the weather... 8-) I plan on attending!

Hopefully we can do some flying (?) ...Now-a-days, I certainly enjoy flying a whole lot more than watching! ;)
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, May 22 2012, 05:38 PM

I'm going to try and make it on Saturday.
Sunday is full.
I might be available for a fly on Monday as well.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, May 22 2012, 07:16 PM

I'll go if I can catch a ride with someone -- will split gas.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Thu, May 24 2012, 10:15 AM

I am going to Milwaukee. I take Amtrak to save money, round trip is less than $40.00.

See you there.

Kathy

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, May 24 2012, 01:05 PM

I'll try to get there one day. I'm keeping an eye on the weather to see which day is going to be better...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, May 24 2012, 02:19 PM

I've got a lot of driving next month (North Dakota, Shawano, WI, and Michigan City) so I'm going to skip this 10 hour roundtrip drive.
We really gotta get that IKE jet.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, May 24 2012, 08:48 PM

Yes, jet please. I'll be driving over 2,500 miles between June 8 and 18.

IKE is on Image too!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Thu, May 24 2012, 11:14 PM

Local weather predicts thunder storms on Saturday, better conditions on Sunday... of course that's a day away so... who knows?

Hopefully if some IKE'ers show we can find a corner of the grounds and do our 'stuff'! :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, May 25 2012, 09:58 AM

Jynx wrote:Local weather predicts thunder storms on Saturday, better conditions on Sunday... of course that's a day away so... who knows?

Hopefully if some IKE'ers show we can find a corner of the grounds and do our 'stuff'! :up:

A chance of thunderstorms is better than heat indexes close to 100 for us though...

IKE is on Image too!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, May 25 2012, 11:46 AM

Jeff wrote:Yes, jet please. I'll be driving over 2,500 miles between June 8 and 18.

I live 1/2 mile away from Schaumburg Municipal airport. I think I can get us a good deal on a used Learjet. Little old lady. Only flown to church on Sundays, etc.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, May 25 2012, 03:06 PM

It's not the cost of the airframe, it's the operating costs that eat you alive.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, May 26 2012, 07:08 AM

goestoeleven wrote:It's not the cost of the airframe, it's the operating costs that eat you alive.

Hmmm, are you talking about jets or Rev kites?

Cheers,
Tom

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sun, May 27 2012, 09:05 AM

Some of the winds we had yesterday could have flown eveyone, but they would have taken you to Mexico and not ND.

Thanks everyone for the the fun yesterday. I had a blast meeting everybody and talking kites. Mark and I got there early in the morning and waited out an hour of rain, but I got to meet some of the participants and talk "shop" so it was fun for me.

Once the rain passed and the winds picked up it was off to the races to fly, meet people, have fun, talk about kites and refuse the advances of the dark side. Mark was working me hard yesterday. I know you'll guys'll try to turn me, but I have my hands full with dualies. Mark didn't help by letting me fly his mod'd kite and breaking it 2 seconds after I got it in the air. Thanks for that. I'm scared now that I'll break everyone else's rev. :poop Besides, I need the exercise.

Jynx, your rev designs looked awesome and my favorite part of the day was watching you play with that little boy with your Bazzer Eyes rev. You guys gave me a few ideas about getting into kite making later myself.

Thanks from a happy, sore and sunburned flier. :coolp:
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, May 27 2012, 08:33 PM

So glad you enjoyed the fest. Btw, it's pretty darn hard to break a commercial rev.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, May 27 2012, 11:10 PM

Also glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I agree with Mike - it is pretty difficult to break a stock Rev. I've been flying for almost two years, and so far the only real casualties are one race rod spar that broke mid flight because the wind gusted up, some worn out leading edge mesh on kites that were very well used when I bought them, and some fraying of the leading edge material ends. I don't think I've busted any other parts . . . although I have lost a few bits here & there.

Mark and I drove back up to Milwaukee today. Winds were very light and variable, and shifted direction frequently. Not nearly as good as yesterday, from what I've heard. Still, I had a great time yanking an EXP around on my 40 foot lineset - axels, catch & throw, and even a few 360s for fun. I also flew Jynx's Eyes on her 200 foot line set!!! (THANK YOU JYNX!). It was hilarious to go from 40ft to something five times as long - with an absolutely enormous window to fly. I almost took a nap waiting to fly from one side of the window to another . . . .

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 28 2012, 07:58 AM

Jynx's 200 footers are a lot of fun. I'm glad Mark found a way to get there both days. Mark, did you try the long lines?
Did Kathy make it?

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, May 28 2012, 08:46 AM

Yeah, and I suspect that the higher quality of her line set (vs. my bad ones) made for more precise moves . . . . or I just couldn't see the imperfections in my turns because they were soooooo faaaarrrrr aawwaaaaaay.

I think Kathy was there, but I only saw her for a few minutes around the time we got there (when they were opening the festival with the anthem). I was walking across the field to set up my stuff. When I came by later, I didn't see her.

Return to “2012 Kite Festivals”