Mike

Grand Haven, MI

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 24 2012, 09:42 AM

Great Lakes Kite Festival
May 18 - 20, 2012
Grand Haven, MI
http://www.mackite.com/news.htm

I haven't been in several years, but here's my recollections from years past:

This is a big festival on a lake. When the wind is off the lake, which it usually is, the winds are great.
Friday of this festival is usually quiet with just kiters playing on the beach. If you want to fly with the big names in kiting, this is the day to do it.
Friday night has an indoor fly.

Saturday and Sunday is the main festival. Performances all day. It can be crowded if the day is warm and sunny, making it a bit difficult to find a place to fly. Arriving early helps.

Monday is a quiet day on the beach with maybe a dozen kiters. You have the beach and nice winds to yourself.

180GO! has a festival in Valparaiso on the 19th (Saturday), so I can't make all the days. I've booked a refundable hotel at the Days Inn (not my first choice, but the only hotel left) for Saturday and Sunday nights. If the weather forecast is good, I plan on driving up Saturday night to play on Sunday and Monday.

Anyone else heading up?

goestoeleven

Re: Grand Haven, MI

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Apr 24 2012, 03:13 PM

I am thinking about it. Have to negotiate with the wife a bit . . . . . I want to go to Milwaukee as well, and I'm not sure I can get away with both festivals . . . .

I always "blame" her in these threads - overall, she's very understanding about the kites. We do have a lot of kid stuff going on and I can't ignore my responsibilities . . . so negotiations are just about finding a fair balance.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Apr 24 2012, 03:47 PM

I hear you...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Apr 24 2012, 03:52 PM

Oh yeah, plus club fly this weekend (I hope) on the 28th. Plus maybe Decatur (5th is out, maybe the 6th). So . . . a few events in the next 5-6 weeks.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 24 2012, 06:19 PM

Steve, since you've done Milwaukee, I would consider doing Grand Haven if you have to choose between the two. All the Chicago Fire/Milwaukee fliers will be there as well as many new fliers and often Manufacturer's reps for dualies and quads.
Grand Haven is on a beach and is a nice touristy town with bicycle riding and shopping sorts of things to do. Could easily be fun for the whole family.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Apr 24 2012, 07:40 PM

Mike - I agree . . . . but I want to go to them ALL!!! Actually, Grand Haven is probably at the top of the list at the moment for May . . . . we'll see about the others. Of course . . . I haven't reserved a hotel . . .

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, May 10 2012, 10:49 PM

Anybody else planning to go to Grand Haven? Right now, I'm planning to go (unless the weather looks bad). Most likely I will have my son David in tow since my wife has to work on Saturday. I'm guessing I won't get there before Friday night due to work (and school for David), and probably stay through Sunday afternoon.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, May 12 2012, 12:11 AM

Sounds like fun. I wish I could go. I will be with the boy scouts again that weekend.

I was in Lansing this week and actually called MacKite thinking I would have time to zip down I-96 to stop by their shop. No such luck, but the festival sounds like a blast.

Steve, tell us how it was. Take pictures.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, May 12 2012, 12:25 AM

Well, I seem to take pictures, but I forget to post them . . . .

You around this weekend? FlyAway is trying to get us to fly on Sunday. I might even be convinced to fly some dual line . . . .

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, May 12 2012, 12:32 AM

I broke the spine on my Quantum today and have to build my spare parts inventory, but I have a backup. Soccer and other kids activities prevent me from being able to join you though.

I have to get down to northerly island sometime this summer though. I think that would be awesome. I think I can propose a family day and picnic down there.

My family schedule starts to open up around mid-June. I'm hoping to have one or two tricks to show by then. And I mean only one or two.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, May 13 2012, 10:28 PM

. . . I'm now considering going up on Friday (and taking David with me) . . . . :up: I will be keeping an eye on the weather forecast.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, May 14 2012, 12:18 PM

The weather looks like it's is going to be absolutely AWESOME!

I got my weekends mixed up. No scout trip, but activities Friday and Sunday. We had a good Mothers day so I'm going to try to negotiate a day trip to Grand Haven. If I can leave by 6 am, I can do the 4 hours each way in a day. If I can get a good 5-6 hours of flying/playing in, that will fix me for a while.

My spare parts should be here by then and I'll be good to go.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, May 14 2012, 01:20 PM

Yeah, about the spare parts . . . I have two shipments that I'm hoping get here in time - both coming from the west coast . . . . (and neither is a rev :shock: ). I may delay my departure time Friday morning if one or both don't get here by Thursday and they are scheduled for delivery Friday morning . . .

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 14 2012, 06:29 PM

Parts for your stack?

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, May 14 2012, 06:54 PM

Sort of. A bunch of line mostly - I am getting some 300lb spectra along with a bunch of braided Dacron for SLKs, bridles, sleeving, etc. Plus. . . One (new to me ) kite. :-) which is a quad line but not a rev. You will have to show up to see it ;-)

Hope it arrives in time.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, May 14 2012, 08:54 PM

Sorry. Shot down. Just too much going on Sat as well. I guess Mothers Day didn't earn me as many points as I had hoped or the waiting period hasn't expired yet.

AhMayzon

Postby AhMayzon » Mon, May 14 2012, 10:24 PM

Looks like I am probably going to be there. Showing up Thurs afternoon (maybe evening); leaving Sunday afternoon.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, May 17 2012, 09:32 PM

Me - skipping work (most of the day) and David - school (all day) tomorrow . . . . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8-) :up:

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, May 17 2012, 11:18 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Me - skipping work (most of the day) and David - school (all day) tomorrow . . . . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8-) :up:

Why not. The school years almost over and my kids already are getting slack work. That's when I pull out the old "In my day..." I know now why my parents did it. It's fun to subject the kids sometimes. ;)

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, May 18 2012, 04:09 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Me - skipping work (most of the day) and David - school (all day) tomorrow . . . . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8-) :up:

What days are you going to be there?

Return to “2012 Kite Festivals”