Cool Fool - New Year's 2012

goestoeleven

Cool Fool - New Year's 2012

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Dec 30 2011, 10:17 AM

Hard for me to believe that Jynx hasn't posted this already . . . . . I'm planning to go unless I have just too much fun on New Year's eve.

Who's going to Cool Fool?

It's looking VERY windy! As of right now, the forecast for Milwaukee is a high of 35 degrees, 20% chance of snow flurries, with 25-30mph west winds and gusts to 45! Cool Fool indeed. I'm thinking four wrap spars and extra vents. Wish I owned one of those . . . . . maybe I will cut some screen material into the shape of a rev sail, and just fly that.

Anybody else planning to go?

Jynx

Re: Cool Fool - New Year's 2012

Postby Jynx » Fri, Dec 30 2011, 03:22 PM

:oopsp: Sorry I haven't posted the event... my excuse - it was on the IKE calendar... BUT, I should have followed it up anyway!

I'll be there with my usual hot chocolate with mini marshmallows if desired!

Hoping for 'better' conditions than all the years prior... but not betting on it!

I have friends who participate in the Polar Plunge at nearby Bradford Beach... so I'll be doing some taxing for them, to and from. The traffic jams created because of the plunge is crazy... so be aware that you may run into that and it may delay you a bit. I should be up and flying by 1pm as the plunge usually ends by then.

The Cool Fool event is 11am-5pm, is free, including free parking at Veterans Park.

PS: If anyone wants any kiting equipment hauled to the TI fest bring it along and I will transport it for you (as I'm driving there), understanding that I won't be back until late January for pick-up (etc.).
Hope to see some IKE-ers on New Years Day! :LogoRevAni: ...Dress VERY WARM! :mrb:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Dec 30 2011, 10:12 PM

I haven't written it off...even if the weather's bad, maybe I'll be there just to hang out a while. (I heard 45 mph winds.)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Dec 31 2011, 08:31 PM

I had been thinking of going, but unless the wind speed predictions drop, I will probably stay home. I don't have any big kites I want to risk distroying for a non sponsored festival. 25 - 35 with gusts to 55 could easily make one of my kites a vented kite. Those of you going, stay warm.
Alan Sparling

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Jan 01 2012, 10:11 AM

I don't know...I'm not really feeling it this morning. I think I'm going to go the less "fool"ish route today.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jan 01 2012, 03:24 PM

. . . . and I have to apologize because I didn't make it today either despite looking forward to this for weeks (sorry Jynx & any other IKErs who did go). I really was feeling "it" this morning, but "it" is the end result of last night . . . . I blame my friends and their very well stocked bar for feeling "it" all day today.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sun, Jan 01 2012, 09:31 PM

Well... Sadly I was the only IKE-er represented at the Cool Fool Fest!

Let me restate that: I was the ONLY IKE FOOL that SADLY attended! :-P

Weather sucked, low 30 temps, winds gusting over 35mph, wind chill around 17, muddy grounds, goose poop everywhere, Mark's vehicle broken into (smash and grabbed Connie's purse in the back seat)... WINDerFULL (?) :(

BUT... Must say we did have a good time anyway! ...Sorta! :shock:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jan 01 2012, 10:37 PM

Wow . . . that sucks . . .

Maybe we need to have a club fly to make up for that suckiness . . . I don't think I can wait until Kite Party to get out and fly again.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 02 2012, 08:24 AM

I saw your photos on FB, Jynx. Looks like y'all did have a good time. Good for you for braving all that nasty goose poop and cold.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 02 2012, 08:47 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Wow . . . that sucks . . .

Maybe we need to have a club fly to make up for that suckiness . . . I don't think I can wait until Kite Party to get out and fly again.

I'll keep an eye on the forecast--I'm not a cool fool, I'm a warm wimp :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jan 02 2012, 05:13 PM

Mike wrote:I'll keep an eye on the forecast--I'm not a cool fool, I'm a warm wimp :)

Define warm . . . . right now, the forecast for Chicago for next Saturday is for 40 degrees and sunny . . . . . that sounds pretty warm for January. Don't know about the winds yet though . . .

I was so bummed about missing Cool Fool that I went out by myself today for an hour or so with a vented Rev. Let's see . . . 22 degrees, with wind chills down around zero, crappy swirly gusty winds on my local field varying from zero to "you need an extra vented" . . . yep, I'm the fool. At least when it's this cold, the goose poop is frozen :up:

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 03 2012, 04:28 PM

I'm not up for driving to Chicago though. Champaign?

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jan 03 2012, 07:22 PM

Hmm . . . maybe. It depends on what's on the honey-do list for the weekend and how much work I have to get done. I'll see what it looks like later this week.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jan 06 2012, 12:40 PM

Well, the weather looks good but the weekend to-do list is long so I can't make Champaign this weekend. I would like to get down there at some point this winter. Let's look for another opportunity in a few weeks.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jan 06 2012, 02:38 PM

Ok, too bad it didn't work. It's hard to imagine it will be this warm again. At least not for several months.

Return to “2012 Kite Festivals”